DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Where do you think is a good place to start an Attitude Era watch thru? I was thinking about starting with the Raw following the Screwjob. But then I miss out on the Shawn/Bret goodness throughout 1997, as well as, I assume, the Austin/Vince foundation. (And also Sunny)

So then what? Survivor Series 1996?

I’ve seen plenty of the main matches and things from this era, but I’ve never done a proper chronological viewing including Raw.

Just now, Captain Kronos said:

Looks like the breakin, which I’ve seen and is of course awesome, was 11/4/96. Was there a feud running before that? 

Yeah. Although I think the original angle (Where we get the term "Pillman'd" from) was on Superstars. But that moment is really where you could see the gloves were coming off for Vince, and things were gonna get more serious.

Granted, I think 98 is mediocre and 99 flat out sucked, but 97 was the WWF at a peak.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Where do you think is a good place to start an Attitude Era watch thru? I was thinking about starting with the Raw following the Screwjob. But then I miss out on the Shawn/Bret goodness throughout 1997, as well as, I assume, the Austin/Vince foundation. (And also Sunny)

So then what? Survivor Series 1996?

I’ve seen plenty of the main matches and things from this era, but I’ve never done a proper chronological viewing including Raw.

Survivor Series 95 would be the proper start. Bret beats Nash and Nash turns heel. The next night he cuts a shootish promo. Same show or soon after, they do the angle where Shawn collapses. The first Goldust angle begins and things feel different.  

• Like 4

WWE MSG RESULTS

Baron Corbin wins via forfeit over Braun Strowman

- Corbin announces himself winner. Vince McMahon comes out and says Corbin's actual opponent is...

John Cena beats Corbin

Apollo Crews wins Battle Royal for future IC Title Shot

- Battle Royal included Konnor, Viktor, Zack Ryder, Curt Hawkins, Rhyno, Heath Slater, No Way Jose, Titus O'Neil and Jinder Mahal

Sasha Banks & Bayley beat Mickie James & Alicia Fox (seconded by Dana Brooke)

Ricochet/Aleister Black/Matt Riddle/Pete Dunne/Velveteen Dream beat Tommaso Ciampa/Johnny Gargano/Undisputed Era (Cole/Fish/O'Reilly)

Elias beat Bobby Lashley - Guitar on a pole match

Natalya/Ember Moon beat Riott Squad (Ruby Riott/Liv Morgan) - Sarah Logan was there

Finn Balor beat Drew McIntyre and Dolph Ziggler (Three way match)

Roode/Gable beat Revival and AOP (Three way - RAW Tag Titles)

Dean Ambrose beat Seth Rollins in cage match (IC Title)

- Baron Corbin slammed cage door on Rollins head to allow Ambrose to pin Rollins

Ronda Rousey beat Nia Jax (w/ Tamina Snuka) - RAW Women's Title

- After match, all the heel women beat down Rousey. All the face women made the save

Also - little interesting nugget I saw on Twitter

Gedo and Jado did not have a single straight tag (2x2) match together this year which breaks their streak at 25 consecutive years with at least one match

Someone asked Meltzer how many teams have done that and his response was most likely the Funks (65-90)

WWE did one of those top ten moments and used the Smackdown Invasion as number one Raw moment of the year. But they did the black and white gimmick because a child might be traumatized at seeing the consequences of violence. 

But the way the editing is done, you would be very confused coming in cold. It shows the women invading, then it is black and white with Nia being shoved out and blood every where and no explanation of why Becky is bleeding. If they can't show it, why did they include it on the list? Unless WWE thinks the angle is what made it so memorable and the blood ruined it. 

I really don't want to be negative. But the choices WWE make is very bewildering. 

I saw the video so I know what you are talking about. I think (and this is me totally guessing) it is two seperate things

1) The black & white for the blood is just their SOP now.

2) I think the reason it was edited the way it was is because they want the focus to be on Becky and Rousey - if you show the actual punch, I guess they figure you are thinking it was an angle with Nia and they want her to be forgotten in the process. Kinda like they would like you to forget Goldberg's interference when Eddie pinned Brock.

So I don't think it was a don't show the blood AND don't show the punch - they were just two different "policies" that collided in one video

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also - little interesting nugget I saw on Twitter

Gedo and Jado did not have a single straight tag (2x2) match together this year which breaks their streak at 25 consecutive years with at least one match

Someone asked Meltzer how many teams have done that and his response was most likely the Funks (65-90)

That streak actually goes back to 1990 if you include their old gimmicks (Punish & Crush, Bulldog KT & Coolie SZ, etc).

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The bloody Becky moment is the best Raw moment since something during the height of the Yes movement, no?

What else even comes close?

That's actually a really good question and I don't think anything else does come close. 

MAYBE KO turning on Jericho during the festival of friendship. 

• Like 3

So it was Nia who f'd up Becky's nose? ?

Turned out to be worth it. The segment has so much more impact this way. Bloody Becky beating Ronda with the chair is the most badass thing that's been on WWE tv in years. 

Great character moment afterwards, when Becky is going back up into the arena. She totally no-sells some dude who wants a high-five. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

The bloody Becky moment is the best Raw moment since something during the height of the Yes movement, no?

What else even comes close?

Ha.  The last two great Raw moments were things that were organic/unbooked.  It's almost as if Vince and his writers can't book or write for shit. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Here is the WWE video on Top RAW moments

For those who can't/don't want to watch, the list is

10) Austin stuns the McMahons

9) Elias/KO roast Seattle

8.) The Balor Club (Balor, Anderson and Gallows tagging)

7) Bayley and Sasha Fight (the time that was supposed to be Bayley's heel turn that never happened)

6) The Shield reformation

5) Ultimate Deletion

4) Ambrose turns on Rollins

3) The  RAW Gauntlet match - specifically Rollins wrestling forever

2) Rousey beats up Steph

1) SDL women invasion aka "The Man Comes Around"

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Here is the WWE video on Top RAW moment

8.) The Balor Club (Balor, Anderson and Gallows tagging)

7) Bayley and Sasha Fight (the time that was supposed to be Bayley's heel turn that never happened)

5) Ultimate Deletion

Lol, anyone else notice that they didn't capitalize on at least three of the ten?  Balor Club got a huge reaction.... so, of course, they immediately dropped the idea.  Bayley-Sasha built to nothing and took forever to get there.  Matt Hardy's run seems like a missed opportunity.

Some of the other stuff came to nothing, but was due to things outside the writers' control.  Future Shield reunions seem like a bad idea, considering how star-crossed they've been so far.