DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

31 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Dammit it all, I'm still a little annoyed I couldn't get my mom to drive me the 3 hours to Auburn Hills and buy tickets to that Nitro. :)

I just watched the entire show, and it’s pretty solid from top to bottom. I never got bored, which I can’t say about last week’s episode of 205 Live that I’m trying to watch right now. Lost interest in that one after about 10 minutes…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

I just watched the entire show, and it’s pretty solid from top to bottom. I never got bored, which I can’t say about last week’s episode of 205 Live that I’m trying to watch right now. Lost interest in that one after about 10 minutes…

I’d recommend just skipping to the main event. It’s a fun one. 

I’m on an attitude era Raw rewatch right now so I can sympathize. At least it feels like things are happening on those shows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kronos said:

I am sure this is been discussed at length, but it’s the first time I’ve noticed it: has Kenny Omega ever admitted to the fact that, from the neck up, he’s cosplaying 1997 Diamond Dallas Page? As I watch this August 4, 1997 episode of Nitro, the resemblance is uncanny.

I have to give Omega major points for getting the hair just right.

Admittedly, I have not seen Kenny since the summer, so he may have cut his hair or something.

He had the dyejob for this:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I’d recommend just skipping to the main event. It’s a fun one. 

I’m on an attitude era Raw rewatch right now so I can sympathize. At least it feels like things are happening on those shows. 

Exactly. I did watch last week’s main event with Alexander and Neese just now. Some very nice spots. But my problem is that the guys seem totally interchangeable, and they’re wrestling a your turn my turn match with lots of downtime between moves. I barely get the sense that either of them wants to win, and they don’t give me any reason to care about them. The announcing team is trying really hard to sell us on the intensity and fight in these guys, and I just don’t see it in the ring.

If I watch something like Dragon Gate, there’s at least a pacing and buildup to their spotfu. 

Also, everyone who was interviewed delivered their lines in exactly the same dull, quiet, monotone way. Tough to come to this modern WWE mic product from Nitro. Even when they’re saying stupid things on Nitro, you usually get a sense that they believe or care about what they’re saying - instead of just parroting lines.

But then, this is the D show. . .

5 hours ago, jaedmc said:

At first I thought the garbage was being thrown because they knew the DQ finish was coming on the run in. Then Luger won and more garbage hit the ring. Such a positive reaction with so much garbage. I think I'll always love those kinds of finishes tho - where the run-ins come and the hero manages to strike all of them down with out taking a shot and still manages to get the victory. Gets me hyped.

Can you imagine how much cooler it would have been if Savage got the apron and Glacier was there in time to hit him with a SAVATE KICK! Maybe people would have been like "Man that Glacier is an okay dude" instead of look at Glacier acting like he was apart of Luger's special moment.

Glacier is a cool guy. 

Pun aside, Giant and DDP were right there. The thing I hated about the nWo angle was how WCW rarely even tried to protect each other. They end up looking like boobs who deserve to suffer. 

Sting was a dick the entire year, only attacking the nWo when it would not help WCW. Which he was mad at Lex, but he was in theory only hurting the fans.

• Like 1

I saw Meltzer was doing his thing all day on Twitter arguing with people who said the Luger win over Hogan was great because of the crowd reaction but I think I agree with him here: WCW kind of went out of it's way to fuck Luger over. I don't think he ever would have been Hogan/Austin level but good grief they always booked him to the top and then didn't do him any favors after.

• Like 1

I say this as someone who watched that Nitro match and had the internet and was a total wrestling nerd:  I always felt that Luger beat Hogan on TV because WCW was afraid RAW might win that week in the ratings.  Nitro had been pre-empted two weeks prior and RAW did its best number in forever and the week after when they were head to head was the closest they had been in a long time.  Not to mention RAW had the post-SummerSlam show which is usually a ratings bump anyway.  Nitro went all in and it absolutely worked because Nitro killed them and then WWF had to start all over after losing all momentum when the US Open kicked them off the air for two weeks.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2018 at 11:05 AM, ComingToAmerica said:

Finn Balor's missing about 30lbs and decent offence, even before you get to his mic skills.

Yipes, I'm a week late to jump in this as I somehow missed it, oh yeah, last Sunday...  We had all the pay channels for free so we were binge-watching Black Sails. Pretty cool as long as I don't have to pay extra to watch it... Anyway, Finn Balor, once again WWE is missing what they really do very well, take a wrestler's normal  personality and ramp it up to the nth degree. Finn is quite capable of delivering believable offense if he's allowed to do so. He does do cocky heel pretty well and it's just a simple matter of a few basic promos along the lines of "All the ladies come to see me and all the fellas want to be me!"  Which is just trading on the heel persona that those of us who watched NJPW know he can pull off. However,  if they want to push him as a face, it's not hard to do,  chances are pretty good that more than a few women find him eminently watchable and as for we gentlemen, who among us does not think chilling in a pub with Finn Balor would not be fun? Go ahead and play up the lovable nerd who builds Lego stuff. When were single we've all had that friend who was an asset when it came to meeting the ladies and turning a table for two into a table for four rather quickly because they were both personable and had the looks and as long as you were seated where you could kick them under the table when they started to talk about their comic-book collection, the evening would usually go swimmingly well.  Anyway, once again they have a guy who was over in the clover in NXT that it appears was going to get the major push as a face but got hurt at the worst possible time and when he came back it's like the writers were  completely at sea as far as what to do with him. I realize that VKM has the attention-span of a ground-squirrel, but I (perhaps foolishly) expect that at least a cou[le of the writers keep a notebook of ideas that have been discussed and can be brought into play when the time is right. Oh, what the fuck am I thinking, I'm actually expecting  Dunn's band of merry men to behave like actual writers... Silly of me, I know...

• Like 3

Hey, see how they keep saying that all four McMahons are now in control of Raw and Smackdown? Doesn't seem that long since Linda was the fourth McMahon, not Triple H. Someone needs to photoshop the poster to Wrestlemania 2000 and put Triple H in Foley's corner.

9 hours ago, Victator said:

Pun aside, Giant and DDP were right there. The thing I hated about the nWo angle was how WCW rarely even tried to protect each other. They end up looking like boobs who deserve to suffer. 

Sting was a dick the entire year, only attacking the nWo when it would not help WCW. Which he was mad at Lex, but he was in theory only hurting the fans.

I kind of thought of it as  Sting wanting to hurt them but as long as Hogan had the belt he could be the one to take it from him.  It was odd how randomly Sting chose his spots though.

As for Luger pops, check the first Clash of the Champions and the tag title win pop. It's huge!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Hey, see how they keep saying that all four McMahons are now in control of Raw and Smackdown? Doesn't seem that long since Linda was the fourth McMahon, not Triple H. Someone needs to photoshop the poster to Wrestlemania 2000 and put Triple H in Foley's corner.

Wouldn't Triple H want to be in Triple H's corner?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Victator said:

Sting was justified, though. He had nothing to prove to WCW, but for the second time in as many years, his loyalty was being questioned. He had every right to say "screw you, you're on your own."

• Like 3

Back to Lex Luger for a second, I feel like any physical Hall of Fame worth its salt should prominently display both the Nitro debut collarless shirt and the white sweater with yellow horizontal stripes from that Horsemen promo on the last page near the foyer. Mark Henry's salmon blazer also should be there.

19 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Exactly. I did watch last week’s main event with Alexander and Neese just now. Some very nice spots. But my problem is that the guys seem totally interchangeable, and they’re wrestling a your turn my turn match with lots of downtime between moves. I barely get the sense that either of them wants to win, and they don’t give me any reason to care about them. The announcing team is trying really hard to sell us on the intensity and fight in these guys, and I just don’t see it in the ring.

If I watch something like Dragon Gate, there’s at least a pacing and buildup to their spotfu. 

Also, everyone who was interviewed delivered their lines in exactly the same dull, quiet, monotone way. Tough to come to this modern WWE mic product from Nitro. Even when they’re saying stupid things on Nitro, you usually get a sense that they believe or care about what they’re saying - instead of just parroting lines.

But then, this is the D show. . .

Whoops. I thought you were watching the most recent 205. Nese and Alexander aren't my favourite guys on the brand by a long shot because they play into exactly the kind of wrestling you mention with none of the interesting flourishes the better workers on the brand bake into their matches. Of course Alexander is popular and has had a long tenure at the top of 205, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him promoted to Raw or SmackDown early in the new year.

The match I thought I was recommending is the Kendrick/Tozawa-Gulak/Gallagher street fight. I'm a simple man: Drew Gulak fishhooks a dude's cheek with the end of a bungee cord, I recommend. :P 

19 hours ago, nate said:

Something good exists that people like, and then there are those that exist solely to shit on it.

giphy.gif 

• Like 1