DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Bobby Lashley had a good match on TV this week. Against Brian Cage, on TNA's best of Impact 2018 part one. It wasn't the best match on the show though. Austin Aries had two matches, vs Fallah Baah and vs Moose. Both were great. Although I've now seen two Austin Aries matches where his opponent got a concussion, and both times the first thing he did after they got concussed was kicked them right in the fucking head.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Bobby Lashley had a good match on TV this week. Against Brian Cage, on TNA's best of Impact 2018 part one. It wasn't the best match on the show though. Austin Aries had two matches, vs Fallah Baah and vs Moose. Both were great. Although I've now seen two Austin Aries matches where his opponent got a concussion, and both times the first thing he did after they got concussed was kicked them right in the fucking head.

To be fair to Aries, do you think he knew they were just concussed? 

On 12/13/2018 at 7:55 AM, mattdangerously said:

To be fair, that's a pretty weak comeback.

Yes but Becky is pretty weak. Her entire act is based around her Rovert army not pointing out the weakness's in her shit. 

As it is, Graves was saying the boss doesn't give a shit about her and she only exist for that reason. 

Which is actually a stupid fucking thing for your announcer to say about one of your champions. 

Somebody needs to tell WWE, TWITTER DOES NOT DRAW MONEY.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To be fair to Aries, do you think he knew they were just concussed? 

Well, Moose got hurt on a Brainbuster on the floor, in a really tight spot between the ring, the ramp and the railing, and they did a near count out last second slide in deal, so maybe not. But Mark Haskins fucked up an SSP from the top rope, under rotated and landed on his forehead. Which usually you'd expect the ref to get there first and make sure the guy who landed bad was OK, but Aries seemed that a spot was blown, and rushed in to kick him.

I miss WCW crowds so much.

Luger's two peaks of '88-'89 (haven't seen a tonne of '90-'91 Luger in WCW) and '96-'97 were fucking awesome in and out of the ring. His babyface run after the Horsemen turned on him had some of the best babyface promos you'll see outside of the usual candidates. The shades of grey Luger storyline with Sting and The Giant that preceded the nWo was some of the best writing either WCW or WWF/E has ever done. Sullivan's a genius that definitely needed a filter but listening to him explain away why he did some of the goofier stuff he did puts it in perspective. Hogan's heel turn probably doesn't happen without Sullivan building up the trust by feeding him goofballs in costumes before that.

Still some mushmouth going on but an intelligent promo that crescendos at the end instead of just yelling from start-to-finish. Also doesn't do that WWF/E thing where when you turn you're a completely different person and everything you've done is mostly forgotten. He talks about his time in the Horsemen stable with a fondness and then his decision making taking a toll on his conscience that's true to life. Love that shit.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Dammit. Moments like this are why I love rasslin. 

I will never, ever forget this. I was 9 years old and a huge NWO fan-- I knew I was in for a rough day with the WCW/Sting/Luger/DDP loyalists at summer day camp that Tuesday. Macho Man backstage flipping tables and yelling "It was a fluke!!" in the NWO locker room while WCW popped bottles on Luger and Giant cleaned the NWO spray paint off the belt is etched in my memory forever. The greatest, most perfect time in wrestling IMO. I was accidentally smartened up by hanging out on AOL after Montreal about 3 months later so this is just a real precious time for me.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I miss WCW crowds so much.

WCW crowds bothered me so much during the Monday Night Wars. For much of Nitro, the crowds always seemed distracted by something else going on in the crowd. I remember seeing a lot of disinterested looks on faces, much like recents Raws. I always thought maybe it was because a large part of the crowd was papered since the only thing that seemed to get a reaction was the nWo main players, Flair, Sting, DDP, Goldberg, Luger, Piper, and the Giant. I fucking hated the nWo, especially Hall; Nash; and Hogan. IMO, the only redeeming quality about the nWo was the influence on Bullet Club. 

Ok, I guess that counts as my Festivus airing of grievances.

In many ways, the crowd is the best thing about wrestling. And also the worst.

Speaking of crowds: I was watching Dusty's HOF speech last night, and the paeons in the balcony kept trying to interrupt with chants. I could tell Dusty was getting annoyed. 

But later, I love when he has Harley Race stand up for a round of applause. Then he says, "Sit down, Harley. I done sold for you enough tonight."?

WCW crowds popped for good wrestling even through the shittiest of booking. And the visual of heels getting pelted with soda cups and bottles added to the sense of wildness that you rarely get with WWF/E. They probably were distracted by drunk idiots getting into fights. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

WCW crowds bothered me so much during the Monday Night Wars. For much of Nitro, the crowds always seemed distracted by something else going on in the crowd. I remember seeing a lot of disinterested looks on faces, much like recents Raws. I always thought maybe it was because a large part of the crowd was papered, but the only thing that seemed to get a reaction was anything nWo related and those feuding with the nWo. I absolutely fucking hated the nWo, especially Hall; Nash; and Hogan. IMO, the only redeeming quality about the nWo was influence on Bullet Club. 

Ok, I guess that counts as my Festivus airing of grievances.

That's so funny man because, again, I was a kid, so my perception was that they were looking at Sting in the rafters or Syxx or Raven in the crowd or you know Scott Norton or Hennig or someone running down the aisle to run interference. So for me, it actually did the polar opposite and added to the whole presentation.

• Like 1

At first I thought the garbage was being thrown because they knew the DQ finish was coming on the run in. Then Luger won and more garbage hit the ring. Such a positive reaction with so much garbage. I think I'll always love those kinds of finishes tho - where the run-ins come and the hero manages to strike all of them down with out taking a shot and still manages to get the victory. Gets me hyped.

2 hours ago, Victator said:

I liked the WCW guys hijacking Lex's win inspite of not helping him minutes earlier or at the ppv.

Can you imagine how much cooler it would have been if Savage got the apron and Glacier was there in time to hit him with a SAVATE KICK! Maybe people would have been like "Man that Glacier is an okay dude" instead of look at Glacier acting like he was apart of Luger's special moment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Can you imagine how much cooler it would have been if Savage got the apron and Glacier was there in time to hit him with a SAVATE KICK! Maybe people would have been like "Man that Glacier is an okay dude" instead of look at Glacier acting like he was apart of Luger's special moment.

Even better than Glacier, but if La Parka takes out Savage as a callback to DDP disguised as La Parka.

• Like 3

I am sure this is been discussed at length, but it’s the first time I’ve noticed it: has Kenny Omega ever admitted to the fact that, from the neck up, he’s cosplaying 1997 Diamond Dallas Page? As I watch this August 4, 1997 episode of Nitro, the resemblance is uncanny.

I have to give Omega major points for getting the hair just right.

Admittedly, I have not seen Kenny since the summer, so he may have cut his hair or something.

6 hours ago, Victator said:

Somebody needs to tell WWE, TWITTER DOES NOT DRAW MONEY.  

Twitter exists for celebrities to be fired from a job for something they said or did 5+ years ago

• Like 1

Damn that Luger promo is awesome stuff. One of my favorite wrestlers of all time. Two of my favorite pops ever (the 97 title win there and the GAB 88 almost-title win). So much greatness, Lex rules. 87-89 and 96-97 of course, but I dug all his runs. Wish he could've been part of the Invasion and beyond or done more with TNA.

Dammit it all, I'm still a little annoyed I couldn't get my mom to drive me the 3 hours to Auburn Hills and buy tickets to that Nitro. :)

4 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

Twitter exists to give equality to people who aren't white men.

Well, and the Nazis, of course.

Twitter is both awesome and awful.

• Like 1