DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

16 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I have visions of senile Vince cutting a promo on the fans, telling them they are ruining Raw with their “modern opinions” and that they are fired, resulting in an empty arena Raw.

Of all predictions,this is probably the closest to what will actually happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Vince will announce a gimmick or Brock vs Rock, or something short-term that won't fix anything. Most of the problems facing Raw are their own problems and other factors that are outside their own control as well.

Ratings are down because TV is dead to one of the main demographics.

A boom akin to the Monday Night Wars/Attitude era will never happen again, because there is no more mainstream.

Same with all other media.

There will be no millenial equivalent to the collective memories of us 60s/70s/80s kids, everything is to fragmented now.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

It would be mutually beneficial for both parties at this point to have a Trump appearance I suspect.

Just a matter of whether you read the room correctly and play him as a heel or face. I'm not even sure what the correct answer is.

No.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

It would be mutually beneficial for both parties at this point to have a Trump appearance I suspect.

Just a matter of whether you read the room correctly and play him as a heel or face. I'm not even sure what the correct answer is.

There's no way they'd gamble on what a standard paying crowd would do even in the Reddest of Red States, if Trump and Vince would ever try something like that it'd be a closed event like Trump's rallies.

I've read in passing a few times over the last year that cities in a lot of red states are blue. And these TV events are held in the cities.

And then you consider that the network that parrots his talking points and agenda has been bleeding advertisers every other month when they stick their foot too deep in their mouth.

That's a lot of kindling. No reason to play with those matches.

Road Dogg is still the head writer for SDL, right? I thought I read somewhere that Ryan Ward was off of the show, but then returned, so who knows how true that is. Anyway, if he is still the head writer, is this the most dramatic turn around in quality for someone in that position? I know luck and the talent you work with are involved too, but I swear that it's been night and day for SmackDown this year. The first half of the year felt pretty unremarkable while this second half has been stellar. 

The Jinder stuff was also a low point and the stink of that lingered around for way too long.

Anyway, I keep thinking to the main event last night and that was about as perfectly booked as you could get. 

18 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Doing anything Trump related would easily void whatever brand loyalty they have built with me over the past 30 years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Road Dogg is still the head writer for SDL, right? I thought I read somewhere that Ryan Ward was off of the show, but then returned, so who knows how true that is. Anyway, if he is still the head writer, is this the most dramatic turn around in quality for someone in that position? I know luck and the talent you work with are involved too, but I swear that it's been night and day for SmackDown this year. The first half of the year felt pretty unremarkable while this second half has been stellar. 

The Jinder stuff was also a low point and the stink of that lingered around for way too long.

Anyway, I keep thinking to the main event last night and that was about as perfectly booked as you could get. 

I don't know if Road Dogg was EVER that terrible, to be honest.

Given how Smackdown was in 2016 and for a lot of 2018, there's enough proof of good Smackdown that it was probably less "Road Dogg sucked as a head writer" and more "Doesn't matter the quality of the writer, Shakespeare couldn't have gotten Jinder Mahal over as a top star." Considering Road Dogg was forced to work with Jinder's push, that's enough to say "maybe he deserved a closer look."

When looking closer, even in 2017, there were good benefits on Smackdown. The tag team division (something we can agree Road Dogg is probably very good with, given he was a tag team guy) was on fire last year, with every team in the division having their moment to shine, built around a New Day/Usos feud that deserves consideration for the best tag team feud in WWE history.

The only weakness Road Dogg's Smackdown has is this same "Road Dogg books the Smackdown women for the stans" problem for the last two years. Even past the "the top names are all faces, the underneath names are all heels" problem, the same thing was there: There's lots of multi-woman matches that mean nothing. Every woman is seen as enough of a title threat that they could win the title any given Tuesday, but that's it. They have no real character, no motivation, no feuds...they're just all contenders to the title. It's almost cynical in a way to "we get it. You're ride or die for one, and ONLY ONE, woman. In your eyes, she's the only real babyface in the company and every other woman's a heel because they're either fighting her, or even if the match has nothing to do with your favorite, the two women in the match  are getting TV time that could go to making your favorite woman a little bit more over. So, we're going to run with it and LET YOU. We got nothing, we'll put them out there, you make the storyline to make your platonic ideal the star of the women's division."

• Like 1

I hope it's the announcement of the WWE Brand Challenge Series.

"You fans don't like Raw?  Then leave!  I'll replace you with CGI.  The WWE Brand Challenge Series kicks off next Monday with the Capture The Midget Relay Race worth 100 points featuring Braun Strowman, Bobby Roode, and Chad Gable representing Team Raw; The Big Show, Luke Gallows, and Karl Anderson representing Team SmackDown and EC3 and Heavy Machinery representing Team NXT as well as Drake Maverick representing Team 205 Live and acting as the midget."

Or The Rock is entering the Rumble.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I mean aside from him main eventing Mania and being an authority figure on Raw for a few weeks already.....

Sigh

Please tell me you understand the difference between then and now. I don't want Rippa's head to explode by having someone explain all the reasons why Trump is problematic now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mattdangerously said:

Sigh

Please tell me you understand the difference between then and now. I don't want Rippa's head to explode by having someone explain all the reasons why Trump is problematic now.

You try too hard.

The differences between then and now are fairly irrelevant, in the same way that we all kinda knew already that Hogan was pretty, pretty racist even before the leaked tapes. I get that you're trying to push through your super woke and snarky political POV through (in italics no less), and have another dig at me, but this isn't a pro-Trump post at all. It's saying that at some point or another, it's likely to happen, and right now it is beneficial for both parties, irrespective of whether it is a good idea.