DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

24 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Hypothetical question posed by Bruce on today's podcast: Next Monday on Raw, which of these would you prefer?

• An in-ring Corbin promo followed by a multi-segment Corbin match
  • A series of vignettes set outside the arena throughout the show in which Baron Corbin attempts to embalm a man

These are your only options. You have no access to alternative entertainment such as Seinfeld reruns. 

I want to see Corbin attempt to embalm a man just so we get @Nice Guy Eddie analysis on said attempt.  But going off of that who would be the guy Corbin is trying to embalm?  For all we know that might help make the segments a bit more worth watching.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I want to see Corbin attempt to embalm a man just so we get @Nice Guy Eddie analysis on said attempt.  But going off of that who would be the guy Corbin is trying to embalm?  For all we know that might help make the segments a bit more worth watching.

Lets make it more entertaining with Corbin trying to embalm a Jewish man, with Corbin completely ignorant to Jewish funeral customs. MJF or David Starr can play the rabbi yelling at Corbin for trying to embalm and mutilating a Jew that's going to be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Lets make it more entertaining with Corbin trying to embalm a Jewish man, with Corbin completely ignorant to Jewish funeral customs. Perhaps, MJF or David Starr can play the rabbi yelling at Corbin for trying to embalm and mutilating a Jew that's going to be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

I would never say a bad word again about Raw if this happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even then, it is great, but at the same time it shines a light on the Smackdown women's obvious problem: The face/heel divide has been out of wack for pretty much the entire brand split, and right now the top four is at: You need to turn one of Becky/Charlotte/Asuka/Naomi heel, but the fans basically said "DON'T YOU DARE" to Becky and Charlotte, and from their reaction to the SD match being cancelled would probably do the same for Naomi (and may do the same for Asuka.) 

Throw in that the IIconics and Absolution both really should be on Raw right now for women's tag title purposes, and you're left with the number one heel on SD who should also be there being...Zelina Vega. 

Asuka should have turned after losing the streak. It would have been so perfect and given her the best direction she had had in two years. The fans respecting Charlotte so much she turned face last year like she did in NXT really did screw up a lot. It created and instant gap of talent between the top faces and heels on SDL's women's division.

How is Zelina in the ring? I love her as a valet, but I'm not sure she can offer anything different enough from Bliss or Carmella (she is smaller than both) to work as top heel.

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I would love to see Zelina be given the ball and see how far she can run with it but not sure what kind of main event-level match she can do.  I think Asuka would be a tremendous heel and might not have the resistance that Becky's/Charlotte's turns had.

The time to turn Asuka has passed, especially with Charlotte finally turning again.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Naomi is so likeable that it would be interesting see her as a heel, particularly if it was part of a group with heel usos. 

She was awesome on Team BAD.

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Hypothetical question posed by Bruce on today's podcast: Next Monday on Raw, which of these would you prefer?

• A series of vignettes set outside the arena throughout the show in which Baron Corbin attempts to embalm a man

These are your only options. You have no access to alternative entertainment such as Seinfeld reruns. 

Well, you neglected to mention who the match would be against. Because seeing Corbin going 35 minutes against James Ellsworth is a much different proposition than him going 35 minutes against Brock Lesnar.

Naomi turned heel in early 2015 on Paige in the UK. Fan reaction that night was sub-optimal, to say the least. She was decent in the role, but goes so against her nature as a real-life sweetheart. Plus Feel the Glow doesn't scream anything heel.

Zelina isn't good in the ring. She had a Dana Brooke-type botch at SummerSlam and for as green as she still is, Lana was the better worker in that match. Plus her size is a concern. She's shorter than the top rope. She's smaller than tiny Alexa or petite Sasha. Her offense has no zip. Asuka may kill her by accident in a match with one kick. It would be a diluted version of Alexa, and at least Alexa has the evil cheer captain who may really knock off her biggest rival gimmick going.

The best bet is if she wins at TLC, make Asuka an arrogant champ who eventually brushes aside her friend Naomi. The matchup is fresh and Naomi has the skillset to keep up with Asuka. I wouldn't be surprised if Asuka has shown Naomi a few joshi-style moves. They can easily put on a good 10 to 12-minute match. Becky/Charlotte/Naomi are the only three on SDL who seem legit against Asuka (Sonya is getting there) and the first two will be busy elsewhere. Asuka/Naomi would be fun.

7 hours ago, Swiftian said:

It's only been in the past couple years that I've noticed wrestlers looking at the ref's count so they can kick out at 2.5, but there's HHH doing it ten years ago above. Was it widespread even then and I just never noticed? Certainly takes some of the fun out of near falls once you're aware of it.

Gordon Solie would have kayfabe sold that as smart strategy, a veteran taking advantage of every split second of available rest before kicking out. What's gained by kicking out at one?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LP Steve said:

Gordon Solie would have kayfabe sold that as smart strategy, a veteran taking advantage of every split second of available rest before kicking out. What's gained by kicking out at one?

Striking the psychological low of letting your opponent know he hasn't hurt you (as much as he thinks he has, anyway). And possibly not having the physical pressure of your opponent covering you for a second longer than you have to, because Wrestling logic states all contact causes damage..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I don't want to live in a world where I don't have Seinfeld re-runs to turn to.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Ventura = Heenan

Heenan has the Royal Rumble '92 call, but Ventura showed up on a WCW PPV wearing one of those iconic Malcolm X "X" t-shirts.

Too close to call. It's a tie. 

Calling the Rockers break up tips the scales back into Heenan's advantage.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Calling the Rockers break up tips the scales back into Heenan's advantage.

Except that Jesse Ventura's contentious co-announcing with a clearly contemptuous Vince McMahon on that one RAW that he guest GM'd a few years back pulls it back into a tie!

11 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Except that Jesse Ventura's contentious co-announcing with a clearly contemptuous Vince McMahon on that one RAW that he guest GM'd a few years back pulls it back into a tie!

Yeah, that proved he never lost a step, and he was able to get Vince to dial back down his personality to pre-Monday Night Raw Era Vince. For a small moment in time the presentation on WWE television improved drastically.

• Like 6