DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Goodear said:

Think of it this way.  He has been on television for more than a decade.  Do you remember him ever saying anything funny?

In a backstage segment, he (pretended) to be on the phone, and quickly said something to the effect of, "Hi, mom.  Yeah, I lost again, but it's okay. I tried really hard."

I'm not defending Ziggler, but let's be fair.  He's said the funniest thing on RAW in the last decade.

Matthew McConaughey claiming he was thrown out of a show in the 80s for throwing a bag of tomatoes at Skandor Akbar is not something I expected to hear today (That story is in the last like 20 seconds of the clip)

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Matthew McConaughey claiming he was thrown out of a show in the 80s for throwing a bag of tomatoes at Skandor Akbar is not something I expected to hear today (That story is in the last like 20 seconds of the clip)

I only skipped to that part of the clip, but Cena constantly cutting off McConaughey while he’s marking out ruins it a bit.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I said the other day he needs to be on Austin's pod telling World Class stories. 

• Like 3

So this idea popped in my head; I was thinking about when Giant joined the nWo along with Bischoff in November of 96 and  the rumors that the new member was going to be either Davey or Bret. So with Dynamites passing I got to thinking. I know Dynamite was wrestling in Japan in 96. I don't know if he was in any condition to have a run or not as he ended up in a wheel car in 97. My question is would Dynamite Kid in the nWo have worked or would it have been a trainwreck? I mean I know it would have all imploding as there's no way Dynamite could co-excist woth Hogan Hall or Nash but would the initial reveal of Dynamite attacking Piper have gone over? Would the WCW crowd have remembered Dynamite in 96?

MJF is the best.

And I just discovered Olde Wrestling:

Simon Gotch and Antonio Honda and the various factions he and Dick Togo were in would fit right in.

11 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

So this idea popped in my head; I was thinking about when Giant joined the nWo along with Bischoff in November of 96 and  the rumors that the new member was going to be either Davey or Bret. So with Dynamites passing I got to thinking. I know Dynamite was wrestling in Japan in 96. I don't know if he was in any condition to have a run or not as he ended up in a wheel car in 97. My question is would Dynamite Kid in the nWo have worked or would it have been a trainwreck? I mean I know it would have all imploding as there's no way Dynamite could co-excist woth Hogan Hall or Nash but would the initial reveal of Dynamite attacking Piper have gone over? Would the WCW crowd have remembered Dynamite in 96?

Dynamite playing his backstage self in the nwo would had worked. Probably would had downplayed the workrate but whatever. If we ignore the wheelchair thing happening, would had great matches.

41 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Watch Dynamite at the M-Pro show in 96. He was in no condition to even travel. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Now, I'm going to be a little bit sad thinking what if Dynamite never suffered the back injury. Forget the nWo, but imagine Dynamite mixing it up with prime Benoit, prime Eddy, Malenko, Jericho, Mysterio, Ultimo Dragon, Regal, Finlay, Juvi, Psicosis, etc.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Now, I'm going to be a little bit sad thinking what if Dynamite never suffered his back injury. Forget the nWo, but imagine Dynamite mixing it up with prime Benoit, prime Eddy, Malenko, Jericho, Mysterio, Ultimo Dragon, Regal, Finlay, Juvi, Psicosis, etc.

The thing is the back injury was going to happen. Between the steroids, the schedule and how he worked, he was going to get badly hurt. Even Dynamite felt that from how he wrote about it in the book. 

Of noble things Dynamite did, his love for his mentor was touching. Even if he was going to maim Brutus Beefcake to avenge him. 

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Watch Dynamite at the M-Pro show in 96. He was in no condition to even travel. 

God, he looked so bad there. He must’ve REALLY needed that payday. He looked like a cosplayer.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

IIRC, he suffered a stroke the next day.

Was that the time he dropped acid, and zonked our at Spivey’s house?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Of noble things Dynamite did, his love for his mentor was touching. Even if he was going to maim Brutus Beefcake to avenge him. 

You say that second part like it diminishes the spirit of the first sentence.

And yes, Dynamite Kid having a Curt Hennig-like recovery after a few years not wrestling would have resulted in a lot of gold. Even in just 1996 alone, DK could have had some fun matchups in ECW with folks like Scorpio, Sabu, and Mikey Whipwreck / NJPW Junior wars with Liger, Otani, Ultimo, and Sasuke / or in the WCW cruiserweight bully role that Malenko was in mixing it up with Rey and Eddie on Nitro and PPV and a near endless abundance of athletic undercarders in awesome 7-minute sprints on Worldwide and Pro that would surely be making up half the "WCW C-Show Memories" thread.

• Like 2