DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Man, really sorry to hear that about Big Cass. Whatever I've said about him, no one deserves that. And I'm not sure how I feel about whoever took the photo of him down on the ground. On the one hand, it seems kind of scummy to me. On the other, I think about all the things I don't really know journalism ethics and the question of whether that photo is or isn't newsworthy. Sure that guys (probably) not a journalist but I think their rules are probably at the very least a good baseline measure here. I don't know. I just feel bad.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

UFC has made a late push for the award with booking Greg Hardy on that show (although I guess the show isn't until next year, so maybe they got an early start)

Yeah thats some rough optics, regardless of whether they spoke to her.

For those who don't follow MMA: UFC booked ex Dallas Cowboy Greg Hardy who had a pretty brutal domestic violence arrest, if I'm not mistaken he had pushed his girlfriend down onto a couch covered in a huge pile of various rifles. On the same show was a fighter named Rachael Ostovich who had unfortunately just recently become a victim of domestic violence herself. Dana White claimed on ESPN they consulted her before booking him but still dude what are you thinking

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Rachael actually confirmed she gave Dana the green light and told him she was OK fighting on the same card.

Yeah that was in the ESPN article too and I thought was very kind of her to say she's cool with it and to give him a second chance, even if he probably doesn't deserve it. I just think it's kinda messed up they potentially put her in an uncomfortable situation by asking. It's his debut, it's very high profile. And look: I'm not even saying that Hardy doesn't deserve to fight. What he did to that poor woman was awful but it's been five years and I have no idea what his deal is now. I'm just saying that it's insensitive and tone deaf on UFCs part. Not trying to speak for Rachael or anyone else possibly offended or affected by it.

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

Rachael actually confirmed she gave Dana the green light and told him she was OK fighting on the same card.

Let's just leave whether or not "independent contractors" said they were ok with stuff out of whether or not something is a good idea, ok? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Tanahashi's reversal dances are ridiculous and annoy me more than most anything Omega does. And I think they're two of the three best right now and of all time. 

Tanahashi also has the tendency to spam the ever-loving shit out of the Sling Blade and High Fly Flow, even relative to the usual standards of Japanese wrestlers spamming signature offense.

• Like 1

We could say the same about Omega’s v-triggers, Okada’s dropkicks, etc. Honestly, I actually prefer heavy use of signature offense. Within the fiction, it maintains the pretense that these guys have really mastered a given technique; outside of it, we can react appropriately given the context, because we’re familiar with the moves themselves.

At the very least, I think we tend to overstate the importance of wrestlers having a massive physical vocabulary.

• Like 3

See when the Harris twins first showed up in the WWF, up to that point they'd been the Bruise Brothers, Ron and Don. But then Vince made them into the Blu Brothers, Jacob and Eli Blu. So, did he mishear Bruise and think he was actually signing the Blues brothers, Jake and Elwood? Or had he earmarked the name years earlier and just gave up on ever getting a tag team to do the Ackroyd/Belushi gimmick?

Also, the Beverley Brothers were just a rip off of the Everley Brothers because they probably weren't but it was the only other tag team name I could remember that sounded a lot like a pop culture duo.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fucking terrible exploitation.

We should probably drag this over to Them's Fighting Words as I think it's high past time there was more discussion of this. I'm 61, so I grew up well used to seeing aging boxers broke, punch-drunk and pathetic because managers and/or stupidity took all their money and the sport itself took their health and mental faculties. Yeah, I'm a hypocrite, I still watch boxing from time to time and know it for the scummy business that it is.

MMA has got to be better than that. Anyone wanting to play the card of "Chuck Liddell's a grown-ass man and knew what he was getting into can blow me. Even though Chuck is one of the few guys that made any sort of transition to "acting", and bit parts on various TV shows and one commercial don't really count for much; no one is going to try and make the claim that Chuck is sharpest knife in the drawer. 

The sad thing is, as punch-drunk and feeble as Chuck is now, he probably has it better than 99% of the former MMA guys. Yeah, he gets the occasional call to do a days' worth of acting at union scale, he held a do-nothing job for ages with UFC, and hopefully saved a little bank on the side. That puts him in a much better position than most.  The thing is that the guys that have other careers to fall back on are  the ones we watch Friday nights on free TV, the guys fighting in the UFC have put all their eggs into the MMA basket. The question is what do they get when they are no longer a significant player in the UFC? 

• Like 2

Was at the Smackdown house show here in Calgary last night. Daniel Bryan was having fun bringing the heeling - teasing the Yes chant, calling the city a dump, calling the people idiots.  He ripped up a kid's sign in the front row. Kind of a weird sign (I LOVE BEEF! YES! YES! YES!) so it may have been a plant, but also people here are proud of their beef, so maybe not. He gets back on the mic "Calgary is stupid! You people are stupid! And beef is stupid!" Some guy is riled up and tries to jump the barricade. Security get to him first. "Sit down you idiot! Go have another drink! No man in this town could ever beat me in a fight" Good old school heeling.

He was facing Miz and I was wondering how they were gonna change the face/heel dynamic, but Miz interrupted the ring announcer during his introduction to have him say "Currently residing in Calgary... The Calgary Kid!" which got big pops. Miz was clearly the face after that with the crowd behind him the whole way. He thanked the crowd after the match "I never get cheered like that"

Fun show as usual, but unfortunately no Becky, AJ or Mysterio. New Day were there but no Xavier Woods. Also no Randy Orton but who cares.

New Day vs The Bar (fun comedy opener with lots of pancake throwing)
Charlotte vs Asuka
Anderson & Gallows & Shelton Benjamin vs Colons & Almas
Samoa Joe vs Jeff Hardy (match was scheduled earlier but Joe beat up Hardy during his entrance. During the match, Joe took out a six pack from under the ring and teased pouring it on Hardy. Took a sip and then did the Stone Cold Stunner bit spewing it all over the ring when Hardy did whatever his stunner type move is called for the finish)
Rusev vs Nakamura
Lana vs IIconics in two quick matches. About as sloppy as you'd imagine.
Bryan vs Miz

• Like 5

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Bryan should have made a Beef Wellington reference for the 0.0001% of the crowd that would have gotten it. 

That's a bit more accurate.