DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 12/7/2018 at 8:23 AM, AxB said:

Am I imagining things, or did the Varsity Club suddenly go from being clean cut college athletes who just want to be sportsmen, to suddenly being a Satanic alliance who wanted to destroy the world. Because I think Kevin Sullivan dried up in a promo once, and so went to his default mode of rolling his eyes into the top of his head and talking about Dark Masters and Blood Sacrifices.

That was the crux of the angle, Sullivan berated Mike Rotunda for not living up to his potential every week. He was not doing the satanic stuff and was going back to his days as a clean cut wrestler. He was also scouting Rick Steiner too. When the group is formed and slowly over a few months Sullivan was gradually reverting to his old self. By March, Sullivan is the Games Master in bondage gear, while Mike and Rick are acting like brainwashed bullies from Leave It To Beaver. 

The whole thing is great until 1989, when George Scott added Dan Spivey and they were just another heel group. Then they got split up after Scott was fired and Spivey was put with Sid, Doc was turned face and Rotunda did not recover until he went to the WWF. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Tanahashi vs. Ibushi G1 Finals or Gargano vs. Almas NXT Philly? Which is better and why? They’re both tied for my #2 MOTY and I rewatched them and I’m not sure which is better.

Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano from WWE NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia then Hiroshi Tanahashi  vs. Kota Ibushi in the NJPW G1 Climax finals. My WWE Match of the Year since it happened for the feeling out process, the false finishes, the interference by the women adds to the match and the closing stretch.

The only match I have above Almas/Gargano is Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega from NJPW Dominion. I occasionally wonder whether it should be Almas/Gargano instead.

2018 will go down as a great year for wrestling, competition for Match of the Year is fierce.

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano from WWE NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia then Hiroshi Tanahashi  vs. Kota Ibushi in the NJPW G1 Climax finals. My WWE Match of the Year since it happened for the feeling out process, the false finishes, the interference by the women adds to the match and the closing stretch.

The only match I have above Almas/Gargano is Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega from NJPW Dominion. I occasionally wonder whether it should be Almas/Gargano instead.

2018 will go down as a great year for wrestling, competition for Match of the Year is fierce.

It's tough, both were great, great matches. I had to really nitpick to knock one down to #2. Which match features a wrestler who does annoying shit to take me out of the match like looking at himself on the monitor, making faces, etc. .. Yes, Mr. Omega, you dropped your classic match to #2 by virtue of the stupid, goofy shit that you do. If you could just control yourself, you could be the best in the world...

• Like 2

Maybe I'm alone, but I have the Okada/Tana title match from this year pretty easily number 1. It was better than any Omega/Okada match.

I might actually have the briefcase match number 2 as well.

For MOTY in the Observer the field is quite deep but I think Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic might have the deepest number of deserving winners for any category in the history of the awards.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Maybe I'm alone, but I have the Okada/Tana title match from this year pretty easily number 1. It was better than any Omega/Okada match.

I might actually have the briefcase match number 2 as well.

No, you're not alone. Tana doesn't do any of the annoying shit that Kenny does, so right there we're at a better starting point for the match. Tana's still got it in spades and Okada is amazing, I still stick with Naito as my favorite, but I'll admit that Okada has passed him as a wrestler to a level very few ever reach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

For MOTY in the Observer the field is quite deep but I think Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic might have the deepest number of deserving winners for any category in the history of the awards.

Fuck Saudi Arabia, Hulk Hogan brought back and WWE's exploitation of Roman Reigns cancer. Repugnant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

No, you're not alone. Tana doesn't do any of the annoying shit that Kenny does, so right there we're at a better starting point for the match. Tana's still got it in spades and Okada is amazing, I still stick with Naito as my favorite, but I'll admit that Okada has passed him as a wrestler to a level very few ever reach.

Hopefully Hiroshi Tanahashi can dial back those Kenny Omega irritations. Kazuchika Okada and Tanahashi, two of the greatest of all time. I prefer Okada out of the two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Tanahashi's reversal dances are ridiculous and annoy me more than most anything Omega does. And I think they're two of the three best right now and of all time. 

Heh-heh, I was watching New Japan (or rather getting Best of Tanahashi disks from Lynch) before it was cool to do so, so I saw lots and lots of air guitar and reversal dances to the point that I became immune to them. Yes, it's some ridiculous shit, but I've watched Tanahashi for so long that I give him a pass. I don't know, Ibushi does some ridiculous shit too as does my favorite, Naito. I guess I'm more prone to accept the goofy stuff when the native Japanese guys do it, because most them have at least one sillyass thing that they do, I sort of accept it as a cultural thing. However, when an American or Canadian does goofy shit like acting like their in a video game or making faces it's jarring and takes me out of the match, as I'm not so used to seeing gaijin pull this stuff. Does that make sense?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hopefully Hiroshi Tanahashi can dial back those Kenny Omega irritations. Kazuchika Okada and Tanahashi, two of the greatest of all time. I prefer Okada out of the two.

Well, I'll grant that Okada's 2016-2018 just might be the best string any wrestler has had in recent memory (and yes, I'm counting A.J. Styles run in NJPW), that said, I've been able to watch a lot more Tanahashi over the years and while he's great at 40-41 (however old he is now), in his late twenties and thirties he was even better. You want to talk about a guy that could carry a broom to a *** match, Tana's your man. Currently, Okada is the best in the world, my favorites remain Naito and Pete Dunne. 

Kathy's got some movies lined up while we have free HBO, Showtime, and what not, so I think I'll get out the wrestling dvd box and have me a Tanahasi-fest today back here in the office. Sersi, Tyrion and Sandor generally watch wrestling with me, they like kung-fu movies too, I think it's the motion on the screen that they dig. I don't know, Nemo would always watch Meerkat Manor, never paid attention to anything else on the TV, but he was transfixed by that show. Cats are amusing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Agreed and that covers a lot of fucking ground from Fritz Von Erich"s fake heart attack to Derrick Dukes/ Col. DeBeers Loser painted the color of the winner match, and similar shit. Exploiting Roman's cancer to pop an angle is disgusting, but expected in the grimey world of pro wrestling. Doing the Saudi Arabia shows made my blood boil to the point I cancelled the Network and have refused to re-up. I know I'll probably weaken and re-up at some point, but for know I can say VKM isn't getting a fucking dime out of me. 

• Like 3

Not that it's the case with you all here, but this "screw the WWE" stance comes off badly when you constantly support the product by purchasing their merch, continuously subscribing to their Network and watching their events.

13 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Not that it's the case with you all here, but this "screw the WWE" stance comes off badly when you constantly support the product by purchasing their merch, continuously subscribing to their Network and watching their events.

I honestly just stopped caring. Haven't watched Raw or Smackdown in months and was never a network subscriber. Me and my best friend always go to the post Christmas Garden show but I just don't feel like it this year.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Agreed and that covers a lot of fucking ground from Fritz Von Erich"s fake heart attack to Derrick Dukes/ Col. DeBeers Loser painted the color of the winner match, and similar shit. Exploiting Roman's cancer to pop an angle is disgusting, but expected in the grimey world of pro wrestling. Doing the Saudi Arabia shows made my blood boil to the point I cancelled the Network and have refused to re-up. I know I'll probably weaken and re-up at some point, but for know I can say VKM isn't getting a fucking dime out of me. 

Don't forget UFC allowing Dereck Lewis to fight despite being under a medical suspension or Golden Boy prostituting Chuck Liddell when he had absolutely no business being in a fight ever again.

• Like 1

OSJ's Stance on WWE:

Watches Raw: Yes / No (NO)

Watches Smackdown Live: Yes/No (NO)

Watches NXT Yes/No (NO)

Watches 205 Live Yes/No (NO)

Orders PPVs: Yes/No (NO)

Buys T-Shirts: Yes/No (NO)

Buys Action Figures or other WWE junk: Yes/No (NO)

Has the Network: Yes/No (NO)

I will admit that I greatly miss 205 Live and NXT and may likely weaken at some point and get the Network again, but so far I have a big enough collection of dvds to watch plenty of great wrestling, So at least for now, "Fuck the WWE"

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Don't forget UFC allowing Dereck Lewis to fight despite being under a medical suspension or Golden Boy prostituting Chuck Liddell when he had absolutely no business being in a fight ever again.

Golden Boy's use of Chuck Liddell was one of the most appalling things I've ever seen. How the fuck Liddell got cleared for that fight is beyond me. He looked way past washed up, he looked like I could take him and I'm no fighter. Just a sad, sad spectacle that shows MMA can be just as scummy as boxing or wrestling.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, OSJ said:

OSJ's Stance on WWE:

Watches Raw: Yes / No (NO)

Watches Smackdown Live: Yes/No (NO)

Watches NXT Yes/No (NO)

Watches 205 Live Yes/No (NO)

Orders PPVs: Yes/No (NO)

Buys T-Shirts: Yes/No (NO)

Buys Action Figures or other WWE junk: Yes/No (NO)

Has the Network: Yes/No (NO)

I will admit that I greatly miss 205 Live and NXT and may likely weaken at some point and get the Network again, but so far I have a big enough collection of dvds to watch plenty of great wrestling, So at least for now, "Fuck the WWE"

Rightfully so.

Also, there's tons of footage and networks to subscribe to if you want to watch those guys in NXT and 205 Live.

It's not like fans are exclusively tied to watching WWE now a days as there's more footage than ever available now.

Just to add to my previous post -- the "screw the 'E" stance only to continuously support them reminds me of a clip I saw yesterday on YouTube where someone called in on Info Wars and asked Alex Jones why he purchased 2 iPads after he continuously trashed Apple and he just basically brushed off the question and tried to justify it while ranting about other things.

12 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Golden Boy's use of Chuck Liddell was one of the most appalling things I've ever seen. How the fuck Liddell got cleared for that fight is beyond me. He looked way past washed up, he looked like I could take him and I'm no fighter. Just a sad, sad spectacle that shows MMA can be just as scummy as boxing or wrestling.

Fucking terrible exploitation.