DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The best periods of WCW tended to have some combination of Dusty and Sullivan on the committee, so either answer seems right (Especially when you consider that for every "it's not hot," there's a Shockmaster). Bischoff indicated on his podcast that the two of them were generally the ones with all the good ideas. 

Wasn't Sullivan's 'creative' booking largely attributed to the fact that his wife was in ECW, would tell him what all the ECW angles were, and every Monday Sullivan would just do whatever Paul E had done on the previous Saturday?

Am I imagining things, or did the Varsity Club suddenly go from being clean cut college athletes who just want to be sportsmen, to suddenly being a Satanic alliance who wanted to destroy the world. Because I think Kevin Sullivan dried up in a promo once, and so went to his default mode of rolling his eyes into the top of his head and talking about Dark Masters and Blood Sacrifices.

But say what you want, he was definitely the best Kevin in Wrestling history. Sorry, Mr Von Erich. Not sorry, Mr Nash.

I always interpreted the Varsity Club as a bunch of dumb jocks who followed this really smart D&D geek because he could help them cheat on tests, and make them effective roofies. While at the same time Sullivan was manipulating them into doing his bidding. Like for instance, kidnapping Precious.

Edit: also remember his nickname was “The Games Master” which sounded like a play on the title “Dungeon Master”. 

The whole Varsity Club angle was way too layered for its time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Was Sullivan also booking the Sting/Luger/Hogan/Savage main event angle where Sting was trusting Luger's word even though Luger was taking advantage of him while Hogan and Savage were being such good frenemies that they belonged on a WB teen drama together? Or was that Bischoff?

That angle got cut short by the nWo, obviously, and actually, it really helped introduce the nWo angle because it was a built-in transition that explained why WCW's main eventers could be easily picked apart by an outside force, but it was fantastic in its own right. I think some people thought it had started to spin its wheels by February or so, but in retrospect, that was obviously because it was now an elongated intro for the nWo angle. 

There's all sorts of little stuff there in the undercard that's great, too, particularly DDP being broken down completely after the Johnny B. Badd feud and then finding a way to build himself back up. It was booked perfectly and felt organic, largely because DDP a) is very likable and b) the Diamond Cutter is a great finisher and the way that it was presented really got him over, too. 

The Four Horsemen angle with Paul Orndorff that hinged on Brian Pillman leading Arn to doing something that he didn't want to do was also awesome, but unfortunately got cut short by Orndorff having to retire.

Even the goofy stuff (IT'S NOT HOT!; Women's Shoes - 2, Hulk Hogan - 0) was enjoyable, IMO. Don't know how much of that is Bischoff and how much is Sullivan, though. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Craig H said:

Dammit...Now I can't say it without thinking "Alleet Wrestling."

The more I think about the name the more I think it should just be Elite Wrestling or just Elite.

...Elite Championship Wrestling?

Or to be serious, Elite Prize Fighting. Remove wrestling from the name altogether.

I remember reading somewhere that before the switch from Eastern to Extreme, Paul E wanted to change it to "Extreme Combat Worldwide" which I thought was really freakin cool

2 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Was Sullivan also booking the Sting/Luger/Hogan/Savage main event angle where Sting was trusting Luger's word even though Luger was taking advantage of him while Hogan and Savage were being such good frenemies that they belonged on a WB teen drama together? Or was that Bischoff?

That angle got cut short by the nWo, obviously, and actually, it really helped introduce the nWo angle because it was a built-in transition that explained why WCW's main eventers could be easily picked apart by an outside force, but it was fantastic in its own right. I think some people thought it had started to spin its wheels by February or so, but in retrospect, that was obviously because it was now an elongated intro for the nWo angle. 

There's all sorts of little stuff there in the undercard that's great, too, particularly DDP being broken down completely after the Johnny B. Badd feud and then finding a way to build himself back up. It was booked perfectly and felt organic, largely because DDP a) is very likable and b) the Diamond Cutter is a great finisher and the way that it was presented really got him over, too. 

The Four Horsemen angle with Paul Orndorff that hinged on Brian Pillman leading Arn to doing something that he didn't want to do was also awesome, but unfortunately got cut short by Orndorff having to retire.

Even the goofy stuff (IT'S NOT HOT!; Women's Shoes - 2, Hulk Hogan - 0) was enjoyable, IMO. Don't know how much of that is Bischoff and how much is Sullivan, though. 

I forgot all about that but I really enjoyed watching when all the Nitros went up on the network for the first time. It's kind of a trip sometimes watching the early episodes and seeing guys like Orndorff, RNR express, and the Road Warriors that you don't normally associate with Nitro

23 hours ago, Craig H said:

Dammit...Now I can't say it without thinking "Alleet Wrestling."

The more I think about the name the more I think it should just be Elite Wrestling or just Elite.

...Elite Championship Wrestling?

Or to be serious, Elite Prize Fighting. Remove wrestling from the name altogether.

I said a few pages back I would just go with Elite Wrestling.

6 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I always interpreted the Varsity Club as a bunch of dumb jocks who followed this really smart D&D geek because he could help them cheat on tests, and make them effective roofies.

Kevin Sullivan manufacturing drugs for the Varsity Club would turn into this:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I said a few pages back I would just go with Elite Wrestling.

Pro Wrestling Elite. Or possibly Elite Pro Wrestling.

• Like 2

That's brilliant, and shows how big you can get over when you do your homework and are allowed to take advantage of it. Reminds me of the Manchester show where Bad News Barrett teased bringing out the best club in Manchester as backup and... well... see where he went with it. :)

46 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Becky's new motto:  You will know me by the trail of my dead.

I hate ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of the Dead. With a name like that you'd expect a band that is brutally heavy, and they're not at all. They're really boring indie rock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hate ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of the Dead. With a name like that you'd expect a band that is brutally heavy, and they're not at all. They're really boring indie rock.

Them and Iwrestledabearonce were both immense let downs to me

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Them and Iwrestledabearonce were both immense let downs to me

I heard about Iwrestledabearonce and what they were like, so I was able to avoid them. Ghost was another huge disappointment to me. They look like they should sound like Mercyful Fate and King Diamond, yet sound like Blue Oyster Cult. Musically, I find Ghost completely boring.

There was a band called Let's Wrestle. The first song on their debut album was called My Arms Don't Bend That Way Dammit.

Landfill indie, unfortunately.

Did these acts learn nothing from Deep Blue Something? They used to be called Leper Messiah, but they changed it because loads of metalheads kept showing up to their gigs and hating how weak they were.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AxB said:

There was a band called Let's Wrestle. The first song on their debut album was called My Arms Don't Bend That Way Dammit.

Landfill indie, unfortunately.

At least there's Eat the Turnbuckle for a wrestling themed band that isn't mindnumbingly boring.

In reference to the former Leper Messiah, you would think a band that has the same name as song on Ride the Lightning would be a metal band.

44 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

At least there's Eat the Turnbuckle for a wrestling themed band that isn't mindnumbingly boring.

In reference to the former Leper Messiah, you would think a band that has the same name as song on Ride the Lightning would be a metal band.

Or if you're an old bastard you might think they are riffing on a line in "Ziggy Stardust"....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1