DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

"And what's the deal with the fuckin' 205 live crew? Why are these fuckin' morons killing themselves for nuthin'? I respect the hell outta Buddy Murphy, Drew Gulak... these guys... but someone needs to sit down with fuckin' Mustafa Ali and tell him to calm the fuck down because only 7 of the 17 people watchin' the show give a fuck!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

So did Vince ever find a good on screen reason for RAW sweeping Smackdown? YouTube clips, and reading results aside, I haven’t been watching much. When I read that happened I was baffled by the decision that probably only happened because Vince today has a hard on for “Anything can happen...” even though it makes no sense, and can cut off the momentum of an act. 

42 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

"And what's the deal with the fuckin' 205 live crew? Why are these fuckin' morons killing themselves for nuthin'? I respect the hell outta Buddy Murphy, Drew Gulak... these guys... but someone needs to sit down with fuckin' Mustafa Ali and tell him to calm the fuck down because only 7 of the 17 people watchin' the show give a fuck!"

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I take it that Hypothetical Corny hasn’t noticed how much Murphy loves to spike himself on his head. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So did Vince ever find a good on screen reason for RAW sweeping Smackdown? YouTube clips, and reading results aside, I haven’t been watching much. When I read that happened I was baffled by the decision that probably only happened because Vince today has a hard on for “Anything can happen...” even though it makes no sense, and can cut off the momentum of an act. 

Because Raw matters more to him.

4 hours ago, D.Z said:

AEW would need a network that not only would reach more viewers but more chances to attract possible new wrestling fans. Even then the ratings would be 1.0 for years. 

This is an interesting thing I think about once in a while: ECW on TNN used to get those kinds of numbers at a time where there were tons more cable viewers, and the wrestling business was much hotter in general. Then TNA got similar numbers for years on the very same network when people were cutting cable left and right, and DVRs, torrenting (maybe not so much streaming yet) and spoilers are all over the place. I'm not sure what it means, but with all the different streaming services out there, I'm just not convinced TV matters as much as it once would have for a start-up wrestling company.

15 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

True, I can't argue with you on that one. I'm just saying, for all we know that might be a company thing

Well we can look at how Vince reacted at WCW using his own tactics in the nineties. So that is face logic for Vince.

I guess I should clarify somewhat, I've listened to Cornette talk about production during his tenure with ROH and about how to present a weekly show, I kinda agree on some of it. I've had people who watched wrestling before see some of the stuff he bitches about tell me "this is why I stopped watching". He clearly is not able to accept where wrestling is currently. He is stuck in this 80s mentality and is so over the top that he cannot be taken seriously. Basically I get his hate for Joey Ryan and think he's being a angry old man when he talks about NXT, PWG, etc.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

My belief is when Smackdown goes to FOX, it will be THE SHOW. In the past Smackdown traditionally wins to make it not look like the B show. I think this was preemptively to make Raw relevant next year. 

9 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Basically I get his hate for Joey Ryan and think he's being a angry old man when he talks about NXT, PWG, etc.

He likes NXT, but wishes he could have had those resources. 

10 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You make a good point.

Is it too late for the Bucks to get some of that Netflix money? 

I may not remember this correctly, but I thought that Netflix doesn't give a shit about wrestling. It's possible Glow could have changed that. 

The other issue is that it looks like Netflix is getting out of the weekly TV stuff because they've canceled everything that had a weekly format. Maybe AEW wouldn't need to be weekly and instead could do seasons of TV, but I don't think that will work. 

7 hours ago, Victator said:

My belief is when Smackdown goes to FOX, it will be THE SHOW. In the past Smackdown traditionally wins to make it not look like the B show. I think this was preemptively to make Raw relevant next year. 

He likes NXT, but wishes he could have had those resources. 

Totally agree with you. That's kind of why I think it sucks if they keep the roster split. I read a report (can't remember where, may not even be true) that Fox wanted to keep the split so as not to promote the same stars as the NBCU networks. I guess I get it from their perspective, but if I'm WWE, I'd want all hands on deck for this thing. 

Meltzer said on a radio show but I can't remember which week that he basically was told the whole "Raw sweeps SDL" thing will be brought up again (like post Rumble)

God I wish I could find it so I could get exactly what he said

Hey ! It didn't take me as long as I thought

It was when they were recapping last week's Smackdown

"They just want to build around Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair and TLC and all that..."

"I heard it was going to be in January"

He then said what we are already talking about. They could have had a plan and Vince just changed his mind because Vince feels like "no one will remember"

8 hours ago, Victator said:

With Fox already being on-the-record with requesting Smackdown have less comedy, I can see Vince funneling all of his terrible HAHA PAL HE'S PEED HIS PANTS ideas into Raw.