DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

50 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

It's kind of astounding to think that this might actually be the worst in-ring year of AJ's career since he hit the national scene in WCW. 

And his worst year is still better that a lot of wrestlers can dream of having.  He might have been in some odd feuds but he still had some really damn great matches.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think AJ missing on that list might have more to do with the rumors that he’s leaving next year.

Wait, what?  That would suck on a billion levels if that was true.  If he's heading back to New Japan I could imagine a few others that would have done that before he did.

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Wait, what?  That would suck on a billion levels if that was true.  If he's heading back to New Japan I could imagine a few others that would have done that before he did.

The rumor is him, and the Good Brothers are heading to Cody & The Bucks Elite promotion.

Why he might do it? I think age, and family might factor in to it. The WWE are probably thinking about using him less in a top spot, and he’ll want a less hectic schedule. Currently we don’t know what kind of schedule the Elite promotion will have, but it might start out as very easy for a wrestler with a family. Plus you know they’ll try to throw a lot of money at him to get him going their way.

• Like 2

Yeah, those AJ rumors have been around for a bit as he has not signed a new deal with them and it expires in the next couple of months. And yeah, the reason is the travel heavy schedule as he wanted to spend more time with his family.

It would be odd seeing him go though as I remember him saying one of the reasons he originally signed was because he wanted to have a set job working backstage as an agent or something with WWE once he hung up the boots. Given him leaving won't stop that from possibly occurring entirely, but him staying with WWE would give him a better shot at securing that position.

Edit: Just read that PWInsider is reporting Anderson and Gallows contracts run until Fall of 2019, so they will be around for a little longer.

AJ is under contract past WM and there's no way anyone else is going to pay him more than WWE, which is why he's angling for less dates and he'll probably get them. Literally anyone could be making to look the jump to a new promotion. In reality, it's hard to say anyone actually would until it happens. So until that point, this is all just talk that's enticing to mainly just us.

Yeah - AJ leaving would be a big shock as  he's making career best money at the tail end of his career and is pretty much guaranteed to stay in an upper-midcard/main event level slot for the duration of his run. I doubt he or  his family would want to gamble on a new promotion or deal with the international travel back and forth from Japan. Realistically, he has, what, two or three years left and the merch he moves alone is reason enough to stay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think we need to wait and see if AEW finds a TV deal or whatever. If they do, it'll be interesting to see if anyone jumps.

And something better than AXS too. AXS isn't going to cut it.

11 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Jim Cornette has some good points at times but he makes it hard to take his side. Arquette is trying, the Nick Gage match was crazy and he didn't realize what exactly he was getting into. Jim needs to go back to talking about the history of territorial wrestling and definitely not current wrestling trends, politics or religion in any way, shape or form.

FTFY.