DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

33 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

How big was Batista’s dick flip?

So you're the guy who keeps emailing Kayfabe Commentaries, eh?

Match of the year time already.

Here’s their playlist for the collection, available for streaming now on the award-winning you-know-what:

Adam Cole vs. Aleister Black, Extreme Rules Match at Takeover: Philadelphia
Johnny Gargano vs. Andrade “Cien” Almas, NXT Championship Match at Takeover: Philadelphia
Seth Rollins vs. Roman Reigns vs. John Cena vs. Elias vs. Finn Balor vs. The Miz vs. Braun Strowman, Gauntlet Match, Monday Night Raw #1291 (Feb. 18)
Women’s Elimination Chamber Match, Elimination Chamber 2018
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Rusev, Fastlane 2018
Drew Gulak vs. Mustafa Ali, Cruiserweight Championship Tournament Semi-Finals, 205 Live #69 (Mar. 20)
Adam Cole vs. EC3 vs Killian Dane vs. Velveteen Dream vs. Ricochet vs. Lars Sullivan, Ladder Match for North American Title at Takeover: New Orleans
Andrade “Cien” Almas vs. Aleister Black, NXT Championship Match at Takeover: New Orleans
Johnny Gargano vs. Tomasso Ciampa, Unsanctioned Match at Takeover: New Orleans
Seth Rollins vs. The Miz vs Finn Balor, Triple Threat Intercontinental Championship Match at WrestleMania 34
Charlotte vs. Asuka at WrestleMania 34
Kurt Angle & Ronda Rousey vs. Triple H & Stephanie McMahon, Mixed Tag Team Match at WrestleMania 34
Finn Balor vs. Seth Rollins, Monday Night Raw #1,301 (Apr. 30)
Pete Dunne vs. Roderick Strong, NXT #447 (May 2)
The Miz vs. Seth Rollins, Intercontinental Championship Match , Backlash 2018
Buddy Murphy vs. Cedric Alexander 205 Live #79 (May 29)
Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan vs. Undisputed Era, NXT Tag Team Championship Match, Takeover: Chicago II
Johnny Gargano vs. Tomasso Ciampa, Chicago Street Fight, Takeover: Chicago II
Nia Jax vs. Ronda Rousey; Alexa Bliss cashes in, Money in the Bank 2018
British Strong Style vs. Undisputed ERA, Six-Man Tag Match, United Kingdom Championship Tournament (June 25, 2018)
The Miz vs. Samoa Joe vs. Rusev vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Big E, #1 Contender Gauntlet Match, SmackDown #983 (June 19)
Seth Rollins vs. Dolph Ziggler, Monday Night Raw #1309 (June 25)
Undisputed ERA vs. Mustache Mountain, NXT Tag Team Championship Match, Takeover: Brooklyn 4
Adam Cole vs. Ricochet, NXT North American Championship Match, Takeover: Brooklyn 4
Shayna Baszler vs. Kairi Sane, NXT Women’s Championship Match, Takeover: Brooklyn 4
The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan, SummerSlam 2018
Seth Rollins vs. Kevin Owens, Intercontinental Championship Match, Monday Night Raw #1318 (Aug. 27)
Killer Kelly vs. Meiko Satomura, Round 1 Mae Young Classic Season 2, Episode #1
Becky Lynch vs Charlotte, SmackDown Women’s Championship Match, Hell in a Cell 2018
Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose vs. Dolph Ziggler & Drew McIntyre, Raw Tag Team Championship Match, Hell in a Cell 2018
Pete Dunne vs. Ricochet, North American & NXT UK Championship Unification Match, NXT #469 (Sept. 19)
Mercedes Martinez vs. Meiko Satomura, Round 2, Mae Young Classic Season 2, Episode #5
Buddy Murphy vs. Cedric Alexander, Cruiserweight Championship Match, Super Show-Down 2018
Mustafa Ali vs. Hideo Itami, 205 Live #100 (Oct. 24)
Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte, Last Woman Standing Match for the SmackDown Women’s Championship, Evolution 2018

A few quick thoughts:

• Some fairly average stuff made the cut (Rusev vs Nakamura, Becky vs Charlotte at Hell in a Cell)
  • The superior Undisputed Era-Mustache Mountain match from Full Sail was passed over for yet another TakeOver match on a very TakeOver heavy list
  • Good to see some representation for some of the buzzier 205 Live and MYC stuff (Meiko vs Martinez, anything involving Ali and Murphy), but they could have included more still
  • I never, ever want to see Gargano vs Ciampa one on one again
  • Opinions of the collection will vary wildly based on your view of Seth Rollins
  • No AJ Styles
Edited by RIPPA
Paste as plain text

Becky/Charlotte and Nakamura/Rusev were both good though not really good enough to be on that collection. Honestly, not sure why they passed over Charlotte & Becky's SDL match which was easily second only to the Last Woman Standing.

Any Rollins match that isn't a tag on this list just feels wrong.

I like that they squeezed in Meiko's matches though I'm weird in that I would have either included none of of them or just the Martinez match.

Kind of surprised they didn't squeeze in Bryan/Brock & Charlotte/Ronda.

When they used to do end-of-year best-of-PPV DVDs, I remember the cut off for those was around the end of October. No idea what's keeping that recent stuff off this collection. I'm sure it'll make their proper end-of-year lists.

They probably included that Becky vs Charlotte match because it happened to be the one with the title change. It is what it is. 

At least one of those AJ vs Bryan matches should have made the cut. I'm sure their match at the PPV will be phenomenal. 

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Remember that all WWE "lists" always try to check all the boxes (of whatever it is they have decided that need checking)

In other words, like most all listicles, empty calories not worth discussing.  :)

• Like 1

Surprised Toni Storm/Meiko Satomura didn't make the cut. I thought that was the best match in the tournament live.

I'm glad Meiko/Kelly made the list though. I thought that match was fantastic live, too.

Speaking of Toni, she is the worse when it comes to the 2.99 kickout shocked facial expression.

Edited by Edwin
It's 2018! HOW DARE I?

5 minutes ago, Victator said:

Becky has an interesting definition of a sucker punch. At this point I think she could type random letters and her roverts would eat it up. 

I was kind of thinking that too, but then I thought about it and it's probably just kind of a way for her to say shoot punch without saying it, so it works in both the context of the Twitter stuff and being possibly usable in anything that may happen on TV at some point.

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I was kind of thinking that too, but then I thought about it and it's probably just kind of a way for her to say shoot punch without saying it, so it works in both the context of the Twitter stuff and being possibly usable in anything that may happen on TV at some point.

As heel logic it is great. But when people treat it as good guy logic, it loses something. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2018 at 10:56 PM, piranesi said:

Enzo making that song 

The CashmeOuside girl...and her song

On 12/2/2018 at 10:57 PM, Ryan said:

Bhad Babie....She's the future.

Dear whatever higher power exists,

Please send a meteor. We'll be waiting, thanks. 

Signed,

Civilization

• Like 2

13 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Match of the year time already.

A few quick thoughts:

• Some fairly average stuff made the cut (Rusev vs Nakamura, Becky vs Charlotte at Hell in a Cell)
  • The superior Undisputed Era-Mustache Mountain match from Full Sail was passed over for yet another TakeOver match on a very TakeOver heavy list
  • Good to see some representation for some of the buzzier 205 Live and MYC stuff (Meiko vs Martinez, anything involving Ali and Murphy), but they could have included more still
  • I never, ever want to see Gargano vs Ciampa one on one again
  • Opinions of the collection will vary wildly based on your view of Seth Rollins
  • No AJ Styles

I like the list though I have some issues. No AJ Styles matches reflects his year barring the ones on Smackdown Live with Daniel Bryan. I'd have included Styles vs. Bryan the week of Crown Jewel and the go home show for Survivor Series. Brock/Bryan and Rousey/Charlotte also from Suvrivor Series. Asuka vs. Sasha Banks from the post Royal Rumble RAW definitely should be there. I noticed the weakest of the three Gargano-Ciampa TakeOver matches misses out. Lose most of the Seth Rollins matches as well.

Jim Cornette has some good points at times but he makes it hard to take his side. Arquette is trying, the Nick Gage match was crazy and he didn't realize what exactly he was getting into. Jim needs to go back to wishing death on Kenny Omega and Joey Ryan.