DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] NXT TV 12/26/18 (Taped 11/28)

RIPPA

In theory - stuff could air out of order but they haven't done that in awhile. Tapings go through the end of the year.

Per PWI

Spoiler

Week 4

- Jaxson Ryker def. Mitch Taverna

- Number 1 Contender Fatal 4 Way: Bianca Belair def. Lacey Evans, Io Shirai, and Mia Yim to earn a title shot at Takeover: Phoenix

- NXT Tag Team Championship: Undisputed Era def. Heavy Machinery

- Steel Cage match: Johnny Gargano def. Aleister Black after Tomasso Ciampa interferes in the match. Gargano is conflicted, but ends up working with Ciampa to win the match. 

Per WON

Spoiler

- Jaxson Ryker defeated Mitch Taverna

They re-taped the finish to make sure Ryker won with a powerbomb.

- Bianca Belair defeated Lacey Evans, Mia Yim, and Io Shirai in a fatal four-way number one contender's match

Belair is set to challenge for Baszler's NXT Women's Championship at TakeOver: Phoenix.

- NXT Tag Team Champions The Undisputed Era (Kyle O'Reilly & Roderick Strong) defeated Heavy Machinery (Otis Dozovic & Tucker Knight) to retain their titles

A hard-fought back-and-forth match that had plenty of time. O'Reilly and Strong survived everything Heavy Machinery had and stole the pin to retain.

- Johnny Gargano defeated Aleister Black in a steel cage match

Gargano ran out and attacked Black before the bell. They had a long, hard-fought match where they used the cage throughout, slamming and throwing each other into the walls. When it seemed like we were near the finish and Black was crawling to the cage door and Gargano was on top of the cage ready to escape, Ciampa ran down to slam the door into Black’s face.

Instead of escaping, Gargano returned to the ring and had a staredown with Ciampa as Black was laid out between them. When Black tried to pick himself up, they both ran in with knees as the "DIY" chants erupted from the crowd.

Ciampa did his slow wave goodbye as he exited the door and Gargano scored the pinfall victory.

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

That's an interesting choice for the next women's title challenger.

Spoiler

She's one of the best and most over in NXT. Her and Lacey Evans are more over and fell more natural in NXT than someone like Io Shirai.

3 hours ago, CSC said:

Man ... Merry Christmas to us, that's one hell of a show right there. 

Spoiler

Not to be a party pooper, but the cage match was pretty underwhelming.

UE/Heavy Machinery was a ton of fun, though.

Do we have to spoiler tag in a spoiler thread? Anyways, I enjoyed the cage match and I'm not a big fan of the feud. Johnny was playing heel but the crowd still liked him. Dig the finish. Thought the women's match was very awkward. Bianca looked out of it after catching a io dive. Her vs Shayna should be good.

I thought it was interesting since its heel-heel and Belair will likely have to work from underneath some and limb sell which should be interested to see her development in that area.  I'm still hoping for some righteous power spots.

It looks like the Cage match is actually gonna air the week of Dec 19 since the WWE is advertising it as airing in "two weeks"

I mean it makes sense to not do it the day after Christmas but I am guessing something from that week will have to move here (Ohno/Riddle perhaps??)

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that too when they announced the match last night.  That's pretty awesome.

I forgot who it was that said the cage match was disappointing.  But even if you factor in editing it was still a pretty well-done match.  It wasn't going to live up to the Takeover match but it told a darn good story.  Johnny letting the hate flow through him led to him working with Ciampa and the realization afterwards was just fantastic.  You can sense where it's going and I'm loving every bit of it.

54 minutes ago, Peck said:

It wasn't just me who had absolutely zero commentary during the Ryker match was it?  That was weird... just crowd & in-ring noises.

Same thing here. It was really odd and they didn't acknowledge it afterwards. I wondered if that had been a dark match they hadn't mean to air, but the commentators advertised it earlier in the show. Do they record the commentary live during the tv tapings or do it later?

The 4-way was fun. Everyone got in their moments and I kind of dug the comradery between Io & Mia. Bianca/Shayna will be interesting.

The tag titles match was good, easily the best match Heavy Machinery has had on NXT tv.

I kind of love Ciampa pushing Gargano to go after Ricochet's belt.

1 hour ago, Peck said:

It wasn't just me who had absolutely zero commentary during the Ryker match was it?  That was weird... just crowd & in-ring noises.

37 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Same thing here. It was really odd and they didn't acknowledge it afterwards. I wondered if that had been a dark match they hadn't mean to air, but the commentators advertised it earlier in the show. Do they record the commentary live during the tv tapings or do it later?

That was odd. I'm disappointed nothing got a reaction outside of Ryker's finisher. I like the Forgotten Sons. I hope they get a bigger push. Maybe they will fill the void with The Mighty no longer together. I wouldn't mind the Forgotten Sons and Undisupted Era mixing it up and an eventual tag title match.

It's basically now or never with the Forgotten Sons. Ryker can and will be re-tooled but Cutler and Blake need to be either 1. Pushed to the moon *right now*, or 2. Released. It's been way too fucking long for them to think just putting those two in a stable that does nothing is going to save them from the NXT jobber purgatory that Blake has now been in for 5 years and Cutler has been in for 4. What the hell are they waiting for?

• Like 1

So i'm watching this show right now, and suddenly there is no commentary track at all. It was there for the opening women's match then it went to commercial, and when it came back, no commentary for the Forgotten Son match. Rest of the audio is there, just no commentary. Commercial again, Velveteen Dream video package, and now commentary track is back. Weird. 

I really love the layout of that woman's match. I loved Bianca stepping into "f this" mode and whipping the hell out of whoever with her hair, tossing someone to the floor and then scoring the pin after her finisher. It just made her look really next level. I think Lacey Evans is going to be gigantic on the main roster. She's really good at being nasty and condescending. She's someone like Elias -- her gimmick is going to play well for a 20,000 seat arena. I'm really not seeing Mia Yim, though. She's been pretty terrible. 

That Dream promo was great. He's so fun. 

Heavy Machinery also got a great write-off in a really fun match. Good, fun tag team with great personalities. They'll be carving up some good minutes on Smackdown against The Bar or some such at some point.

• Like 2

I haven't seen the video of this, but they had to redo the finishing spot for the rebound powerbomb from Ryker 3 times as they kept botching the spot.

That could be why they cut the commentary for that match.

14 hours ago, Edwin said:

I haven't seen the video of this, but they had to redo the finishing spot for the rebound powerbomb from Ryker 3 times as they kept botching the spot.

That could be why they cut the commentary for that match.

3 retakes for a move?  Shit, if that's the case then he needs to find a new finisher immediately.

• Like 1

He's always seemed to struggle with the move. I thought it was odd that the crowd cheered after he hit the move, but if he had to try it a few times, it makes sense.

Count me in as people that didin't have commentary for the match.

Can't wait for Belair to fire up in the match with Shayna with the hair whip.

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

3 retakes for a move?  Shit, if that's the case then he needs to find a new finisher immediately.

Yeah, they struggled during the rebound.