DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] NXT 12/19/18 (Taped 11/28)

RIPPA

In theory - stuff could air out of order but they haven't done that in awhile. Tapings go through the end of the year.

Per PWI

Spoiler

Week 3:

- Io Shirai and Dakota Kai def. Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir

- Dominik Dijakovic def. Aaron Mackey

- Heavy Machinery wins a squash. Undisputed Era stood on the stage to watch and taunt.

- Matt Riddle def. Kassius Ohno

Post match: Riddle offers Ohno a fist bump. Ohno teases he's going to accept, but instead viciously attacks Riddle. 

Per WON

Spoiler

- Io Shirai & Dakota Kai defeated Marina Shafir & Jessamyn Duke

Shafir and Duke were making their NXT TV in-ring debuts here. Shafir was pinned after a moonsault from Shirai.

- Dominik Dijakovic defeated Aaron Mackey

Dijakovic picked up a decisive victory.

- Heavy Machinery (Otis Dozovic & Tucker Knight) defeated an enhancement team

Undisputed Era were on the stage watching, so Heavy Machinery did a number on these two wrestlers.

- Matt Riddle defeated Kassius Ohno

They had an even back-and-forth match that Riddle won with the Bromission. He offered a fist bump to Ohno following the match. Ohno thought about it, backed away, and then finally returned to the ring to accept before throwing Riddle into the post and giving him a vicious ringside beating that included him using the stairs.

The crowd chanted "You suck" to the tune of Ohno’s music

Spoiler

Marina is so far better than Jessamyn and feels much more natural than Jessamyn in the ring.

Dijakovic looked really throwing Mackey around.

Riddle/Ohno was hard hitting and entertaining as expected and Ohno's turn was great.

• 2 weeks later...

Shafir/Duke had pretty much the same match I saw in Milwaukee with Kairi in place of Io. Not sure why Shafir and Duke go with a military inspired gear but it works.

I'd love to know how the meeting went where they decided to add two syllables to Dijak's last name.

And I was not expecting that finish to Gargano/Black .I hope they don't go for the triple threat match they couldn't do at Takeover Brooklyn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

It feels like the natural progression is for Black to find a partner. Enter Velveteen Dream, who has skin in the NXT Championship game himself.

Plus, the history of the Dream/Black feud. You know, I like this idea.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 4:56 PM, Eivion said:

I like Shaffir and Duke's gear. They seem pretty average right now.

I finally watched this week over a couple of runs at the gym.   I have to say, I really liked the story they were telling in Shaffir/Duke & Shirai/Kai.  

These two overconfident big gals, who have never been outmatched at anything, go in cocky as hell against two smaller, but much more experienced, wrestlers.  And then proceed to get their clocks cleaned because they were not expecting it to be so tough. Shirai & Kai did everything right: poking and prodding around, finding a weakness (inability to chain/over-reliance on strength/inexperience as a team), and exploit it for the win. 

Duke & Shaffir will be perfectly fine, but obviously they're not naturals at this as Baszler & Rousey are.  

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Duke & Shaffir will be perfectly fine, but obviously they're not naturals at this as Baszler & Rousey are.  

That is more or less where I stand with them. I was just hoping they might be a bit better since I find them to do a decent job as lackeys.

2 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Does anyone think that Duke and Shaffir are at an expectation disadvantage since the 4 Horsewomen match has been hanging in the air for awhile now?

I'd also say because of how quickly Shayna and Ronda took to wrestling. I know Shayna worked indies prior to nxt, but I don't think Ronda was expected to be this good so quickly.

7 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Does anyone think that Duke and Shaffir are at an expectation disadvantage since the 4 Horsewomen match has been hanging in the air for awhile now?

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd also say because of how quickly Shayna and Ronda took to wrestling. I know Shayna worked indies prior to nxt, but I don't think Ronda was expected to be this good so quickly.

Its these two things for sure. Shayna was a natural from the start from what I've heard and what little I saw of her indy work while Ronda is just fucking ridiculous at this point. Take that and the looming 4HW feud people have been waiting at least two years now and its hard not to be a little disappointed Shaffir and Duke aren't at least solid. Its especially disappointing after the rumors that their training started last year before they even actually signed.