DVDVR Message Board

Wilder vs. Fury (12/1/2018) - Los Angeles, CA (Staples Center)

Elsalvajeloco

I knew I should have been scoring this one.

England’s Fury showed a tremendous amount of courage by getting off the canvas both in the ninth and 12th rounds, but couldn't take Wilder’s WBC title. Those two knockdowns ultimately cost Fury a victory because only one judge – Canada’s Robert Tapper – scored their fight for Fury (114-112).

One judge, California’s Alejandro Rochin, scored the bout for Wilder (115-111). The lone British judge, Phil Edwards, scored the action even (113-113) in the main event of Showtime Pay-Per-View’s four-fight telecast.

So the British judge scored it a draw.

15 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

He could go ultra defensive and peek a boo style and win on a decision . For such a huge dude his movement is normally excellent.

You were on the money here, and if Fury hadn’t gone down again in the 12th this is exactly how it would have gone. 

Wilder showed himself to be a one trick pony yet again albeit with a lot of heart.

As for the decision, I can’t decide if that’s a shite or fair decision. Tyson bossed it early and stuck to his game plan (was expecting a stoppage around round 10) but two knock downs and so-so late rounds had it up in the air for me. 

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

You were on the money here, and if Fury hadn’t gone down again in the 12th this is exactly how it would have gone. 

Wilder showed himself to be a one trick pony yet again albeit with a lot of heart.

As for the decision, I can’t decide if that’s a shite or fair decision. Tyson bossed it early and stuck to his game plan (was expecting a stoppage around round 10) but two knock downs and so-so late rounds had it up in the air for me. 

Fury won the 10th and 11th easily. Wilder was really tired and had punched himself out in the 9th and only really got going in the 12th.

I think Fury had it personally, even with the two knockdowns. The scorecard that gave the fight to Wilder is patently ridiculous.

However, Fury gave them an in with the two knockdowns, especially considering the first one looked like he got off balance clowning around as much as anything before taking a shot to the head.

I was impressed he got up off of the canvas in the 12th.

5 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Wilder showed himself to be a one trick pony yet again

It's a hell of a trick though.

I don't expect Wilder ever to leave the auspices of Alabama, but I am not that impressed with Mark Breland and Jay Deas and the job they did last night. They remind me too much of Aaron Snowell and Jay Bright. We see how well that worked out for Mike Tyson. Breland in particular seems to be sleep in the corner giving instructions.

• Like 3

Just watched this now after avoiding spoilers all day. I had it 114-112 Fury. I was disappointed in the decision but I wouldn't call it a robbery. I'm not a massive follower of boxing though.

Aside from the decision, it wasn't the most action packed fight but the drama of the knockdowns completely made up for it. I really enjoyed it.