DVDVR Message Board

Wilder vs. Fury (12/1/2018) - Los Angeles, CA (Staples Center)

Elsalvajeloco

wilder-fury-SHO.png

Wilder vs. Fury
December 1, 2018
Los Angeles, CA (Staples Center)

WBC Heavyweight Championship: Deontay Wilder © (212.5) vs. Tyson Fury (256.5) (eighth defense) - DRAW (split)
WBA Super & IBF Super Welterweight Championship: Jarrett Hurd © (152.5) vs. Jason Welborn (152.5) - Hurd, KO (body shot), R4 (1:55)
- WBA Super (first defense)
- IBF (third defense)

Luis Ortiz (241) vs. Travis Kauffman (229) - Ortiz, TKO (referee stoppage), R10 (1:58)
Joe Joyce (262) vs. Joe Hanks (247.5) - Joyce, KO (left hook), R1 (2:25)

Showtime Preliminary Undercard:
Chris Arreola vs. Maurenzo Smith - Arreola, TKO (corner retirement), R6 (3:00)
 IBF Minimumweight Championship: Carlos Licona (104.75) vs. Mark Anthony Barriga (103.75) (vacant) - Licona, DEC (split)
Robert Guerrero vs. Adam Mate - Guerrero, TKO (referee stoppage), R3 (2:25)
Jesse Rodriguez vs. Josue Morales - Rodriguez, DEC (unanimous)
David Damore vs. Marsellos Wilder - Wilder, DEC (unanimous)
Julian Williams vs. Francisco Javier Castro - Williams, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (2:40)
Isaac Lowe vs. Lucas Rafael Baez - Lowe, TKO (body shot), R5 (1:59)

Attendance: 17,698
Buyrate: 310,000

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

I think I said in another topic, whoever has put in the time is going to be the one to walk out the winner as it will all come down to stamina and fortitude. Both can and will throw, but who has gas in the tank after the skirmishes will win. Rumour has it Fury quit his camp at Big Bear as he couldn't handle training at altitude...

It wouldn't surprise me to see Wilder go for the kill early on. Can Fury weather the storm? Hard to say, I think he could've done with another tune up fight personally.

57 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Rumour has it Fury quit his camp at Big Bear as he couldn't handle training at altitude...

That's just a rumor as far as I can tell. His trainer Ben Davison made that call. In addition, I don't recall Fury ever saying he was staying there his entire camp. Plus, if Fury was seeking help from Freddie Roach, he ain't getting it at Abel Sanchez's gym. He would either have to go to Wild Card gym, Wild Card West, or another boxing gym in Los Angeles where he can actually work with Roach. It would be easier to just stay in Los Angeles than make the trek back and forth from LA to Big Bear.

57 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Can Fury weather the storm? Hard to say, I think he could've done with another tune up fight personally.

Based on the Pianeta fight, which I got through about three rounds of,  I think more tuneup fights wouldn't have made much difference. I think the only way to tell where Fury is at is fighting another top heavyweight whether it was Whyte or Ortiz. Those fights weren't going to happen because Fury and Frank Warren weren't going to fuck up that payday against Wilder or Joshua. So it's either boom or bust on Saturday. I'm thinking Wilder by KO between rounds 4 and round 8 because I don't think trying to fight Wilder like you're Pernell Whittaker when you're 6'9" is advantageous. It's going to be hard for Fury to negotiate the ring and not get hit. IMO it would take Wilder trying to have a staring contest with Fury like Wlad did for Fury to make it from the first bell to the final bell.

• Like 1

Adonis Stevenson will defend his WBC 175lbs. title against Oleksandr Gvozdyk at 7:45 ET on Showtime prior to the Wilder vs. Fury PPV.

The non-PPV undercard fights from LA will be simulcast on all Showtime platforms, which I believe includes the Showtime Youtube channel.

I’ve put all kinds of bets on this.  I can’t tell if Fury still has it or if he’s a busted flush looking for one last payday.

He could go ultra defensive and peek a boo style and win on a decision . For such a huge dude his movement is normally excellent.

Wilder is a bit of an enigma as well, such an interesting match up.

For what it’s worth, I think Joshua’s promoters have ducked both these guys, which is strange as I think Joshua would come out on top against both.

Heavyweight boxing is fantastic at the moment

23 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I’ve put all kinds of bets on this.  I can’t tell if Fury still has it or if he’s a busted flush looking for one last payday.

He could go ultra defensive and peek a boo style and win on a decision . For such a huge dude his movement is normally excellent.

Wilder is a bit of an enigma as well, such an interesting match up.

For what it’s worth, I think Joshua’s promoters have ducked both these guys, which is strange as I think Joshua would come out on top against both.

Heavyweight boxing is fantastic at the moment

I think Joshua vs. Fury would have happened if Fury had came back around the time Joshua had just won the belt. AJ would have had the obligatory title defense at home and then fought Fury. 

As far as AJ vs. Wilder, I think it's Hearn relishing in having some type of leverage. Joshua is gonna sell out a stadium and folks will watch (although the DAZN numbers for the Povetkin fight prob weren't good). There was no pressure or urgency for Joshua to fight Wilder especially when you look at how the beginning of Wilder's title reign was used to showcase Wilder as the first American heavyweight champ (or titlist) in forever. When Wilder beat Luis Ortiz in the fashion he did by coming back from adversity and then knocking out the supposed boogeyman of heavyweight boxing, then came the pressure to do the fight. Now everything Hearn says is gonna be anchored by the success of Joshua's fights at the box office. That's all he can stand on because in terms of opposition, everything is basically equal. Neither guy is facing a murderer's row of challengers. Joshua fought better guys coming up, but that really doesn't mean anything anymore. Joshua fought Povetkin when Wilder didn't after Povetkin kept pissing hot, but Wilder also fought Ortiz when Joshua didn't. So from a sporting sense, Hearn really cannot go anywhere but who draws the most. Hearn is just doing the hokey promoter thing of letting the fight marinate which also has its drawbacks (Juanma vs. Gamboa is about to happen off American TV and Kovalev vs. Stevenson never happened with the real possibility of both w/o a light heavyweight belt after tonight). If Wilder wins tonight, I expect a lot of the bullshit from Hearn to subside so the fight can be made.

• Like 1

Oleksandr Gvozdyk is your new WBC 175lbs. champion dethroning Stevenson by stoppage in round eleven. Stevenson gave it a good try in the previous round, but not enough to hold off Gvozdyk.

Really hope Fury wins this. Think he will. He’s only 30, and has never taken much damage, so the idea he is past it should not come to bear. He’s 3 years the younger man. Whether the drugs & alcohol have a lasting effect is a different question ... but he looks in good shape, and is a more talented boxer than Wilder with — I think — more pedigree. Surprised that Wilder took this fight. Should be a good contest.

Jarrett Hurd was losing that fight until he wasn't. 

According to folks at Staples Center after Julian Williams won on the undercard, it looks like Hurd vs. Julian Williams in the spring. 

And Jermell Charlo is there in the ring to challenge Hurd. If Hurd gets past Williams and I'm assuming Jermell has a fight in the interim, that happens in the summer.

I do not understand how Tyson Fury got up from that. He looked absolutely dead and out of it. What a performance from him even though it was the opposite of what I wanted.

Frustrating that it took 10+ rounds for Wilder to start changing things up from the 1-2 and throw more left hooks.