DVDVR Message Board

RAW is the Revival of Etiquette - 11/26/2018

Dolfan in NYC

I still don't understand Bàlor treading water for a year and a half now.

They thought highly enough of him to rocket strap him to the title faster than anyone in history. Terrible timed injury. But he's been back, healthy and over, since spring of 17. And they've done nothing with him. 

I get they never really intended for him to be THE guy, it was as much just having someone fill the roll until they were done punishing Roman for the drug test failure/ready to build him back... But Jesus, do something with the guy. Hell, move him to Smackdown and let him and Bryan and Joe and AJ tear the house down, do something.

The roster being thinned out badly by injury is definitely true, but that doesn't change that the creative this week was all time bad. It hasn't been consistently okay in months, but I feel like the last 8 days we've reached a serious valley.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, CastleVania Rey said:

This comes with Vince's belief that everywhere that isn't WWE = high school gym.

Remember when Daniel Bryan talked about how he was so passionate for the business that he'd keep wrestling even if it wasn't in WWE? And Cena was like "Well I'm so passionate for the business that I'd NEVER wrestle in the high school gyms/bingo halls." And they acted like Cena got one over on Bryan?

I guess Vince doesn't remember running Raw at high school gyms in '94-'95

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I mean, Corbin is talking about being on the right side of history and gathering his supporters. So why isn't the face side doing the same? To his credit, Balor alluded to not giving in to the evil. But until the faces get on the board with a few wins, this feels bad and hopeless.

How many times did the NWO beat the WCW loyalists in 94 and 95? Because that's apparently what they're doing. 

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

None, because the nWo didn't form until June '96.

Whatever. You know what I mean. They want to have the heels run roughshod for a bit, until whoever is playing the Goldberg or Sting in this situation kills all the heels and gets the big face pop.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Whatever. You know what I mean. They want to have the heels run roughshod for a bit, until whoever is playing the Goldberg or Sting in this situation kills all the heels and gets the big face pop.

and the nWo kept rolling on and on and on...

• Like 1

Who is going to be the ace of Raw then?

Braun is injured and has cooled off but maybe could be properly heated up again. Seth maybe? Finn and Elias seem like distant prospects at this point and I think we can write Ambrose off. They could move AJ over which would at least lead to a string of fresh and no doubt quality main events. Uh, Lars? Another NXT call up?

McIntyre seems like the right guy. I think he works better as a heel but WWE has done pretty well turning wrestlers I never thought could turn so maybe that's the move, especially if Strowman is out for TLC. Put Drew over Corbin and Lashley en route to the Rumble. Whatever they do, they should get on it fast.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well, who gives a shit about lapsed casuals at this point. Right now, they need to worry about their base which continues to erode. The other thing is, they could literally take anyone the live crowds give a shit about and start building around them. Much to the chagrin of some around here, those people would be:

• Braun Strowman
  • Finn Balor
  • Seth Rollins
  • Sasha Banks

And maybe you could even include Elias in there. Anyway, it's a start. Build around any of those people because they're the ones fans still give a shit about even though they've either received hamster wheel booking or just keep getting jobbed out.

But then I look at the first thing you typed out "Vince and co doesn't see anyone on the level of those guys" and my suggestion, which is one shared by a bunch of people, just doesn't matter. Unless Vince changes his thinking, it doesn't matter what suggestion is made.

They do not want stars, they want cogs. The Shield happened by accident. They only became big because they could veto as a group after gaining momentum. Things are going to get worse before they get better. 

• Like 1

Would it have been that hard to just make Alexa a manager? Give her Nia and Tamina as her not so Wild Samoans (yes, I know neither is Samoan) and Mickie as the wily veteran willing to take shortcuts to win. Still accomplishes everything you want with her as GM and antagonizing the faces, but you know, maybe actually with getting someone over?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Nia is Samoan through her father. And having a tiny white woman essentially bossing around two statuesque brown women sends a bad message.

I'd bring up Drake but after this week this would end up some pretty weird places.

4 hours ago, D.Z said:

Which means no one is allowed to be as big as him. They could had built many people as the top acts of the Fed. They just don't want to.

I don't know if I believe that. They put the belt on Finn in 27 days. He was going to get pushed pretty hard. That's still one of the worst-timed injuries.

14 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Nia is Samoan through her father. And having a tiny white woman essentially bossing around two statuesque brown women sends a bad message.

Oh thats right, I forgot she was related through Maivia.

Then let's giver her Fox and Brooke or a turned Natalya and have her be constantly exasperated by them, they could probably use the help more anyway.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I thank Primus all the time. Buckethead, as well.

Primus song and album titles would work really well for Raw thread titles.

ex. Raw is they can't all be zingers

Since Raw was so heavy on Baron Corbin, and his stomach looks like a sad face: Raw is Mr. Krinkle 

When the Wyatt Family eventually returns: Raw is those damn blue collar tweekers

A Nia Jax related thread: Raw is southbound pachyderm

Heh. I'm sorry and maybe embarrassed to say that I took a while to figure out what you meant by "Primus song". Because you're talking about a band I've never heard while I'm talking about the Cybertronian deity. Because yep I'm a major Transformers NERRRRRRD.

But then maybe you knew that. I don't know.

Aaand of course the band I haven't heard is as old as Transformers is. Heh.

The new ace on RAW is going to be Seth Rollins, and anyone who thinks otherwise is pretty much just kidding themselves. Balor is an afterthought at this point, Braun is (like someone else said) the new Big Show... they might be able to do something with McIntyre, but he works so much better as a heel than a face. Ambrose could be as well, but he has the same problem as McIntyre, but they're going to stifle that as well by making him do stupid skits and stuff like this week (although I remember the crowd loving face Ambrose doing wacky shit to heel Rollins years ago, so...).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

N55ia is Samoan through her father. And having a tiny white woman essentially bossing around two statuesque brown women sends a bad message.

Tamina knows how to handle tiny white women. I mean, she is a Snuka after all.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CastleVania Rey said:

Heh. I'm sorry and maybe embarrassed to say that I took a while to figure out what you meant by "Primus song". Because you're talking about a band I've never heard while I'm talking about the Cybertronian deity. Because yep I'm a major Transformers NERRRRRRD.

But then maybe you knew that. I don't know.

Aaand of course the band I haven't heard is as old as Transformers is. Heh.

They're one of the most original, and IMO best bands to that has come along in the last 30-35 years.