DVDVR Message Board

RAW is the Revival of Etiquette - 11/26/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Okay I admit I'm a lapsed viewer so maybe I missed an interlude or two over the years but "Mr. McMahon" was 1997 and that's 21 years ago now and have they really never stopped going to that well?

There have been breaks here and there, but for the most part, there's a heel authority figure in place I'd say at least 8 months out of the year since Mr. McMahon debuted in 97.

The problem is, in the grand scheme, Heel Authority figures don't make sense outside of the initian McMahon/Austin feud and some parts of the Bryan vs. Authority feud.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I like how they're acting like Dean getting his vaccines is a heel move. Dean is just showing those god damned anti-vaxxers what a real man does, especially before going to some place as gross as Milwaukee.  

I was waiting for Dean to make a joke about Kairi Sane having Hand-Foot-Mouth disease as he was getting his shots, but it didn't happen.

55 minutes ago, CastleVania Rey said:

Thank Primus (or the deity/non-deity of your choice) Shane didn't turn heel like the rumors kept saying he would.

...That's still coming, isn't it? :(

I thank Primus all the time. Buckethead, as well.

Primus song and album titles would work really well for Raw thread titles.

ex. Raw is they can't all be zingers

Since Raw was so heavy on Baron Corbin, and his stomach looks like a sad face: Raw is Mr. Krinkle 

When the Wyatt Family eventually returns: Raw is those damn blue collar tweekers

A Nia Jax related thread: Raw is southbound pachyderm

When Raw was dominating and was awesome, you had Stone Cold or the Rock basically all over each show. They would be in multiple segments and more and more people would tune in to watch.

I said they should do the same with Braun and just have him keep destroying shit all night.

Ain't nobody wants to see this much Baron Corbin.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Vince and co doesn't see anyone on the level of those guys and neither do lasped casuals. Braun is the new bigshow to the WWE.

Well, who gives a shit about lapsed casuals at this point. Right now, they need to worry about their base which continues to erode. The other thing is, they could literally take anyone the live crowds give a shit about and start building around them. Much to the chagrin of some around here, those people would be:

• Braun Strowman
  • Finn Balor
  • Seth Rollins
  • Sasha Banks

And maybe you could even include Elias in there. Anyway, it's a start. Build around any of those people because they're the ones fans still give a shit about even though they've either received hamster wheel booking or just keep getting jobbed out.

But then I look at the first thing you typed out "Vince and co doesn't see anyone on the level of those guys" and my suggestion, which is one shared by a bunch of people, just doesn't matter. Unless Vince changes his thinking, it doesn't matter what suggestion is made.

Pretty much.  Your best chance for any kind of serious change is for AEW to take off being able to offer guys competitive money and those guys being willing to take a chance on an Elite vanity promotion.  Or NJPW to take a serious chunk of the US Market share, which isn't going to happen with them booking Road To shows internationally, relying on guys that are looking to start their own promotion, and their own bloated roster issues.

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well, who gives a shit about lapsed casuals at this point. Right now, they need to worry about their base which continues to erode. The other thing is, they could literally take anyone the live crowds give a shit about and start building around them. Much to the chagrin of some around here, those people would be:

• Braun Strowman
  • Finn Balor
  • Seth Rollins
  • Sasha Banks

And maybe you could even include Elias in there. Anyway, it's a start. Build around any of those people because they're the ones fans still give a shit about even though they've either received hamster wheel booking or just keep getting jobbed out.

But then I look at the first thing you typed out "Vince and co doesn't see anyone on the level of those guys" and my suggestion, which is one shared by a bunch of people, just doesn't matter. Unless Vince changes his thinking, it doesn't matter what suggestion is made.

They only care about revenue and merch profits at this point. To them the brand is the main thing with Wrestlemania as the big draw. It's basically the" Vince does whatever he wants with Raw, new fans who dont like it be damned" era.  

What Fox plans to do with Smackdown is more likely to increase that brand. But expect Raw to be the same for years to come, it's Vince's baby until death.

• Like 1

I thought that Braun vs. Elias feud sometime last year was awesome.  The matches themselves were okay at best but both dudes were over and it felt fresh.  The feud went off the rails after a few weeks of course but for a minute there I was thinking "hey,  this is the future right here".   

Crowds love them.  Or did.  There's others on the show that get big reactions too. I just don't understand what they are waiting for.  I don't even have faith in them capitalizing on Becky Lynch because remember one thing..   Becky was not supposed to get over like this.  

If there's one thing McMahon hates it's people who get over that weren't supposed to.  

The whole evil authority thing wouldn't be so bad if there was someone who actually would stand up to them. I mean if Austin/McMahon happened today, Austin would get beat down like Braun on every show.

Speaking of Braun, they should have just put the damn title on him. Vince and his whole "well if he keeps losing to a guy, then when he finally wins a few years after no one cares..then I'll know he's the one".

• Like 2

It's worth noting that Raw is a walking ICU with Owens, Zayn, Alexa, and Braun all injured. Which is nothing to say of Roman's situation. If all those folks were healthy, the show would be doing better.

That said, the past two weeks were rough. The writing is bad and the acting from the wrestlers is somehow worse. Not one person comes across as a star. McIntyre is a supposed psychotic terminator who has no agency in whatever his story is. Lashley is the modern-day Mr. Ass. No way Corbin should have 15 minutes on the show, let allow 1/3 of it. None of the male faces ever take up for each other. Sasha and Bayley are sub-NXT level. Even Ronda feels like a midcarder with neither her nor Nia being able to sell their match via promo.

No one seems smart. Why haven't the Revival found a third partner to offset the Lucha House rules? Why are Sasha and Bayley repeatedly exposing themselves to Alexa's garbage? Why aren't Finn and Elias trying to gather other faces to take down the New Corporation? At least find Bray Wyatt in catering and see what he can do. Why hasn't anyone knocked Corbin into the fifth circle of Hell?

Why is Dean Ambrose getting shot in the ass with a gimmick syringe? 

The writing is doing no one any favors. But it doesn't help that no one has even tried to project the air of being important. For anyone who thought Roman Reigns needed to be gone for a few months and that would give the roster room to showcase themselves: careful what you wish for on so many levels. It's become clear Roman was covering a multitude of sins, both for Creative and his fellow wrestlers. His aura was such that he could be put in several storylines and make everyone around him seem better by proxy. He feuded with Lashley, Ziggler/McIntyre, Braun, and the Revival all at the same time earlier this year. There's no one else on Raw they can do that with. One can debate they shouldn't have put all their eggs in the Roman basket. But based on what we're seeing now, who else would you trust to put in that level of commitment? Elias, maybe. After that, it's slim pickings.

I don't know. I tend to be more optimistic than most. But I think both WWE mainstream shows are pretty bad right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Drew's being protected booking wise, they obv might want him to replace Brock but not as the guy. 

Everything they do is on purpose for Raw role wise. Forget about card placement but in roles of levels or character.

From Brauns big show or Kane role to Devitts underdog  loser maineveter role. Seth and Deans uppermidcard powers vs Dolph the midcarder.

Vince could book Bayley vs Ronda in the main event just to have it end in heel beatdown dq and Alexa jump for joy segment or tag team upper and middle mid card guys main event match. 

It's the ensemble cast era for Raw. Unless Roman comes back that is. 

That's the thing: the roster isn't being presented as an ensemble. Meaning, they could do a wrestling variation of Superfriends vs Legion of Doom. Allow them to fill whatever spot they've been slotted, but in a way that one big story umbrellas several potential feuds. 

I mean, Corbin is talking about being on the right side of history and gathering his supporters. So why isn't the face side doing the same? To his credit, Balor alluded to not giving in to the evil. But until the faces get on the board with a few wins, this feels bad and hopeless.

I'm not verbalizing this as well as I like, but so much is off and while Creative is throwing gutter balls, it doesn't feel like anyone is even trying to elevate themselves or the material. It's not as if the writing was better for Reigns. But he made it feel worthwhile in some way. 

Any way it's sliced, triple-chocolate garbage cake is being served right now.

• Like 1

If you are thinking of multiple built strong and marketed aces, they certainly don't want that now.  And  WWE perfers heels together and faces in turmoil. 

Anyway much of what is happening is to make sure no ones ever bigger than the brand again. Except Roman.