DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TAKEOVER: Blackpool (01/12/19)

RIPPA

Very cool moment for Toni but honestly surprised that she won. I figured we would get a few months more of Rhea the UK bully, who has been fantastic in her role. Either way, nice match and cool to see Jazzy and Kay Lee Ray in attendance. 

20 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

Conversely, Eddie Dennis works the opposite way.

This was the closest that Eddie has worked as a big man that I have seen him in NXT UK.   Doing most power spots on Mastiff.   His promo in the pre match build up though was very un-big man like.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jamal said:

Very cool moment for Toni but honestly surprised that she won. I figured we would get a few months more of Rhea the UK bully, who has been fantastic in her role. Either way, nice match and cool to see Jazzy and Kay Lee Ray in attendance. 

That was the one result I was close to 100% certain of. Toni is NXT UK while Rhea is in Orlando and was basically fill in champion because the timing of the tournament didn't fit with making Toni champion at the time. 

I thought that Toni not becoming UK champ was because of the injury to Dakota Kai in the Mae Young tourney. I believe Dakota was slated to win that whole thing, but she got injured. They changed the booking on the fly and Toni ended up winning the MYC instead, and they changed the UK tourney to Rhea winning the belt. So now Toni finally getting the title is where they wanted it to be from the beginning. That is how I thought it went, but I could completely be wrong.

Ripley is incredible. In reality she isn't as tall as I thought (to be fair neither was Charlotte) yet she carries herself like she owns the building.  It speaks volumes for just how much of a gem Ripley is.  I had to shut down some assholes  yelling ''Bruiserweight'' during her match (I don't see the resemblance, maybe someone can fill in the blanks there) Whatever. Call it hyperbole but they have a real main roster player in the future with Rhea.

Words can't describe how loud the show got at some points.

MM channeling The Bulldogs was fucking AWESOME. And let's be honest. James Drake was the MVP of that match. A real coming out party for him which from a personal standpoint makes me so proud. I was there for his first training session. We hung around the same circles. To see his ascension from a skinny dweeb referee to holding his own against the most talented wrestlers in the world is mind blowing. This was his catharsis.

I'm way to inebriated to divulge much more. Hoping the show holds up as well as it did live.

• Like 6

Haven't watched any UK since the last tournament deal they did but the commercial during Raw drew me in wanting to see Toni/Rhea. the Dunne/Walter confrontation was fittingly epic. I pretty much never wanna see Dunne lose but that's gonna be the showdown. Main event was pretty good, if a bit overly long and somewhat repetitive on the big move kickouts and some awkward spots but I like both guys. Great moment for Toni. Balor came off more like a star here than he has since 2016. Tag title opener good stuff. Pretty fun show, definitely worth a watch. Happy to see Kay Lee Ray, in her brief showing in the first MYC she was one of my favorites.

22 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

I thought that Toni not becoming UK champ was because of the injury to Dakota Kai in the Mae Young tourney. I believe Dakota was slated to win that whole thing, but she got injured. They changed the booking on the fly and Toni ended up winning the MYC instead, and they changed the UK tourney to Rhea winning the belt. So now Toni finally getting the title is where they wanted it to be from the beginning. That is how I thought it went, but I could completely be wrong.

This is what I recall, other than it being Tegan Nox rather than Dakota.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rick said:

Ripley is incredible. In reality she isn't as tall as I thought (to be fair neither was Charlotte) yet she carries herself like she owns the building.  It speaks volumes for just how much of a gem Ripley is.  I had to shut down some assholes  yelling ''Bruiserweight'' during her match (I don't see the resemblance, maybe someone can fill in the blanks there) Whatever. Call it hyperbole but they have a real main roster player in the future with Ria.

While they probably didn't mean this way, I have always said that Rhea Ripley is a better Pete Dunne than Dunne.  He looks like a smug asshole who does joint manipulation because he loves being vicious in the ring and not because it actually works.  He isn't really that.  Rhea is definitely that with a extra bit of trash talking 

First off, that crowd was nuts. I'd have watched Heroes of Wrestling and been entertained if they had been in the audience for that. Cheers, folks.

Really good first showing from the UK brand. My match of the night was the opener, Mustache Mountain vs Gibson and Drake. As soon as I saw Bate taking the Doomsday Device-like move on the outside, I said a silent prayer that he wouldn't land on his head. The double airplane spin was great. Really good back and forth action, but I wouldn't expect anything less, really. Bate and Seven are amazing and they'll get a great match out of anybody. Which is no offense intended to Gibson and Drake, they are damn good and they held up their end of the match quite well!

Balor/Devlin was... there, I guess. It wasn't terrible but it felt like a match I've seen Finn in many times over. The crowd came unglued for him, though.

I was conflicted because I really like Mastiff but Dennis has never really impressed me when I've seen him. Good match between the two of them, though. Dennis doing his power moves to Mastiff is a lot more impressive than when it's poor Sid Scala getting thrown around like a paper airplane.

I agree with a bunch of posters here, I think Rhea is money. She's lookin' real jacked and comes across as a total badass. With that said, it's good to see Toni get the win with the BS she's been going through recently.

Main event started off great (and everyone knows I love Pete Dunne), but they could have trimmed 10 minutes off of it. We didn't need eighteen finisher kickouts to establish that Coffey was a huge threat to Dunne's title reign. And that top rope spot, ugh. When they finally did the move, it looked terrible.

Extremely glad to see that they pulled the trigger on signing Jazzy Gabert when she healed up from her surgery and I am SO ready for Dunne vs Walter. Walter kicking Coffey in the face when he was all "hey guys, don't forget about me" and then basically telling Dunne to keep the belt shined up for him before heading to the back was badass.

• Like 4

Agreed on Ripley. I thought she was better than she had any right to be in the first Mae Young and she's only improved since then. I have several female friends over six feet tall and I thought Rhea was about that size so I was shocked to see she is billed as 5'8", she definitely seems bigger than that.

Tag title match was my MOTN. The Bulldogs tribute was great and both teams rule but I admit that when MM lost it tipped off the result of the main event (they've put too much into British Strong Style to have them all lose in one night).

And since Vince was watching I wonder how fast he texted HHH that WALTER needs to wrestle in a singlet. You know he's thinking it.

Excellent show top to bottom. 

Some minor cavils and comments: 

1. The cranium to cranium headbutt (worked or not) needs to go far, far away. I have no desire to see anyone male or female leaking brain fluid out their nose or suffering the fate of Shibata. The spot simply isn't necessary and far too much can go wrong.

2. Rhea Ripley continues to impress as one of the nastiest heels in wrestling. I'm in full agreement with whoever was calling for Ripley/Asuka at Wrestlemania, I'd be totally down with that and it would give them something fresh to book. 

3. Brit crowds are delightful. Singing during sporting events is something that ought to be co-opted in the US.

4. Hate to say this, but the main was simultaneously one of Dunne's best matches and worst finishes I've seen, I don't know where the blame rightly falls, but it seemed like the last 5-10 minutes neither guy was on the same page. The (not so surprising) appearance of WALTER did the job of erasing the bad taste that the finishing sequences left. The Mrs. was astounded at just how big WALTER is, and yeah, Pete Dunne isn't exactly a little guy by any means and WALTER just dwarfs him. I can't wait for the feud, take all my money now, please!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thank you for NXT and NXT UK. 

I don't know how many times I've said this, but it never fails to amaze me how good the supposed minor leagues (NXT, NXT-UK and 205 Live) are and how badly the main product sucks. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I don't know how many times I've said this, but it never fails to amaze me how good the supposed minor leagues (NXT, NXT-UK and 205 Live) are and how badly the main product sucks. 

HHH > bat shit crazy Vince

• Like 2

Finished the show about half an hour ago. Had to watch the last episode of of UK tv before it.

MM vs. Gibson/Drake was great. The last bit before the finish was insane.

Finn/Devlin was not good though I thought it was neat to pull the teacher vs. student match. I assume Banks was legit hurt.

Mastiff/Dennis was a fun monster brawl and easily the best Dennis has looked since showing up.

Rhea/Toni was good. Rhea is definitely a star in the making though I think she still has some ways to go in the ring. Nice to see Toni get the big victory. Will be interesting to see how long either sticks around in NXT/UK. Toni could easily already be on the main roster, and Rhea carries herself well enough to get by. KLR and Jazzy showing up was neat. I'm especially happy for Jazzy after her health issue kept her from getting in after the first MYC.

Dunne/Joe was pretty good and probably could have fought the tag titles match for MOTN had it been about 5-7 minutes shorter and the top rope spot failing twice not screwed up the finish. Saying that I liked how Coffey was built as a threat throughout. He looked like the most dangerous opponent Dunne has really had up to this point. It made it all the more sad, amusing, and kind of awesome how he got bitched out to Walter in the post match. I have never seen a Walter match, but damn does that guy carry himself like a badass.

Thought this was a good show all in all. It kind of feels like the real beginning for NXT UK.

5 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

The rumor was that Tegan was slated to win the MYC before her injury. I kind of call bullshit on this. Toni was always going to finals of the MYC. Wouldn't have made sense for her to have already been UK champion during the MYC final. Its more likely Tegan was meant to be UK women's champ after losing the semis of the MYC to Io, and Rhea took her spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

139_NXT_01122019sa_11437--ea4c6a0d5414d3

140_NXT_01122019at_9895--918ea4193552b38

143_NXT_01122019at_10040--4e913b9a1646a0

I have barely seen any of WALTER(love that Osperay match)but what I have seen I love. WALTER is so great because he just screams legit. This is a guy that doesn't care about entertaining the WWE universe and putting smiles on peoples faces. This big fucker wants to win matches and win championships and he will hurt you if you try to stop him. Same with Dunn. That title is so important to him and he is going to break your fingers if you try to take it away. Take all of my money and GIVE ME MORE

• Like 2