DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TAKEOVER: Blackpool (01/12/19)

RIPPA

I dug this show, but for me it wasn't up to the excellence of most of the NXT US TakeOvers. The tag opener was great, a modern style sprint overkill. I am sorry, but a gimmick brawl without color, headshots or crazy plunder is hard pressed to be anything but a pale imitation of classic unsafe brawls of yore. I really would like to see Coffey v. Cena, or even better: Coffey & Buddy Murphy as a team. Gallus on the main roster could easily be booked to dominate, to be truthful. I too see nothing but greatness for Rhea Ripley (and am not a big fan of Toni Storm). I second West Newbury Bad Boy's genius idea of RR v. Asuka at the next available WrestleMania. WALTER looked great - he has a face made for overhead lighting and scared the faint of heart. I am already a mark for Barthel & Aichner so a Euro heel faction with WALTER is truly a gift from Odin.

- RAF

I liked the show.  The opening tag was fantastic.  While I appreciate Finn being treated like a superstar, the match with Devlin didn't really do too much for me.  I enjoyed Eddie Dennis v. Dave Mastiff, but "Eddie Dennis" seems like the least likely name for this particular dude.  At least get a nickname, y'know?  Rhea Ripley and Toni Storm had a decent match, but seemed like a foregone conclusion.  Was this Toni's reward for winning the Mae Young?  The main event was good but went on for way too long.  No idea what they were doing on those two botched top rope moves.  I did like the improvised ending with the triangle / finger break stuff. 

As for Walter, he certainly looks imposing, and I can't complain about the theme music.  I'll be sure to check out more of his stuff, and probably check into NXT UK again at their next Takeover. 

22 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I too see nothing but greatness for Rhea Ripley (and am not a big fan of Toni Storm). I second West Newbury Bad Boy's genius idea of RR v. Asuka at the next available WrestleMania.

I'll take it further: Rhea wins the Rumble, debuts as a killer, and adds credibility to the "new era" bollocks. Keep the Becky/Charlotte situation fluid for another month so paranoid Beckbeards can keep that heat hot before shoehorning both into the obvious Ronda triple threat. Two birds, one stone, and the main roster gets an immediate swagger upgrade. 

Assuming Rhea's going to be locked into an NXT holding pattern, she should be the champ there by Mania weekend. 

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'll take it further: Rhea wins the Rumble, debuts as a killer, and adds credibility to the "new era" bollocks. Keep the Becky/Charlotte situation fluid for another month so paranoid Beckbeards can keep that heat hot before shoehorning both into the obvious Ronda triple threat. Two birds, one stone, and the main roster gets an immediate swagger upgrade. 

Assuming Rhea's going to be locked into an NXT holding pattern, she should be the champ there by Mania weekend. 

With there being 2 singles titles and a Women's tag title coming soon, I'd like the idea of having someone relatively new to the main roster win the Rumble. Its not like they need an established name to win  just to another women's match to headline WM. Plus it adds unpredictability to the Rumble by having an unknown win. You can have her in the Womens Elimination Chamber and not win it if you dont want her in a Women's title match but it would be great to have both the MYC winner and RR winner on NXT UK and give the Storm vs Ripley feud more credibility.

Ripley has all the same upside as Velveteen Dream in that she's there physically, has the tools and personality, and is very young so you don't have to overpush her now. Hotshotting her into winning the Rumble would be unpredictable but A) it's a hard sell to anyone not watching NXT:UK or the MYC, which I imagine is a significant portion of the main roster audience (but I don't know) and B) say she does and then wins the title, what do you do after that? She has literally nothing left to aim for having conquered the two top honors in the company. Being washed by 23 is not a solid career arc. Besides, I'd rather see her develop more in NXT and have matches with Io Shirai and Dakota Kai and a returning Tegan Nox. 

• Like 1