DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Listening to Jimmy Korderas on the Art of Wrestling... never would have placed that voice to his persons (is that the right phrasing?). Anyone else get these feelings about certain people? Lashley is another one.

Yeah, I always got that feeling about the Angel of Death.  He looked like such a tough guy but he had that weird high voice.

Who is the best promo guy among wrestlers who had a relatively high voice that does not at all fit what people expect from a tough guy?

Superstar Graham? Although he was more nasal than high.

I'd love a return to all traditional Survivor Series matches, complete with goofy team names. My card would be:

The Goat-Faced Killers (Daniel Bryan [c], The Big Show, Cody Rhodes, Goldust and Dolph Ziggler) Vs The Authority (Triple H [c], Randy Orton, The Shield)

The Punkers (CM Punk [c], Big E Langston, Rob van Dam, The Prime Time Players) Vs The Heyman Guys (Brock Lesnar [c], Ryback, Curtis Axel, Wade Barrett, Damien Sandow)

The Chain Gang (John Cena [c], R-Truth, Los Matadores) Vs The Essence of Excellence (Alberto Del Rio [c], Fandango, The Real Americans)

The Miz-Fits (The Miz [c], Kofi Kingston, The Usos) Vs The Wyatt Family (Bray Wyatt [c], Harper, Rowan, Kane)

Throw in maybe a comedy match or a divas tag and you've got a pretty good card.

• Like 3

Not bad but the Chain Gang doesn't really fit anymore.  Since the latest Cena hype video informs us that "he is hustle" (whatever that's supposed to mean) maybe he should call his team The Hustlers?

Only if they do the dance.

I always loved Slaughter's performance in that match.  To me, I just always found it cool that he dismantled an entire team with the most basic shit.

I read the WON covering that recently and Meltzer hated the performance. I thought Sarge worked his ass off.

• Like 1

This rules.

I like that a lot, but I can't be the only one who cracked up when he said " I always keep my mental focus...uhhhhhh...", right?

I think what bugged me more is when he buried Orton with the shooty "The only reason you're here is because of your father". 

And then he said he's a capital g great wrestler and 10 time champion. The inference being that Orton had his opportunity with his name, but is a top player because he's just...that...damn...good.

You're terrible at this.

• Like 5

But no ones going to remember that comment. They're only going to remember the negative shoot comment.

This is the same sort of crap that people like Skip Bayless, and Colin Cowherd pull on ESPN every day. "This guy is a choke artist. Don't get me wrong he is an all-time great, but he'll always be remembered as a choke artist."

The Punkers (CM Punk [c], Big E Langston, Rob van Dam, The Prime Time Players) Vs The Heyman Guys (Brock Lesnar [c], Ryback, Curtis Axel, Wade Barrett, Damien Sandow)

What the heck happened to Sandow, anyway? Seemed like they turned him face against Del Rio, then he's completely disappeared, since.

Triple H is a 13-time champion, but all anyone ever talks about when they bring that up is "The only reason you are a top star is because you are married to a McMahon". So don't give me this crap about title reigns when they don't matter anymore to today's smark fans.

The fact is Bryan could have put himself over with his indy cred without having to bury Orton with that negative statement.

Triple H is a 13-time champion, but all anyone ever talks about when they bring that up is "The only reason you are a top star is because you are married to a McMahon".

And that guy's been totally buried because of it.

So don't give me this crap about title reigns when they don't matter anymore to today's smark fans.

Hence why Ric Flair being champion of the asylum was the most important moment in his career.

The fact is Bryan could have put himself over with his indy cred without having to bury Orton with that negative statement.

He should ask for pointers from Punk. What was it that Punk talked about when HE was feuding with Hunter?

Triple H is a 13-time champion, but all anyone ever talks about when they bring that up is "The only reason you are a top star is because you are married to a McMahon". 

But how often do people say that Randy's position at the top is because of his father? Almost never, right? The difference is there's an element of truth to the Triple H statement. No one honestly believes Randy is a 10-time world champion because his dad has that much stroke. It was a silly thing for Bryan to say, but it's not the message anyone is going to take away from that video because it isn't true.

(And for the record, no, I don't think Triple H is where he is solely because of his marriage... but it certainly didn't hurt his career trajectory.)