DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

What was the problem with Swagger's title run? Badly booked, or did the crowd just not take to Swagger?

Both. 

I don't think he was ever really that over. Big guy that doesn't wrestle big, no physical charisma to speak of, mediocre promo skills even without the lisp... He had some decent to good matches in ECW, but there weren't too many reasons for fans to get into him. Even less so when he was jobbing to the likes of Santino heading into MITB. Winning that match was a total WTF moment which could've gone either way, but they rushed the title onto him that same week when everyone still didn't take him seriously. Then his title run was the standard wishy-washy "Yeah, we're pushing this guy, but we're not 100% sure about him" affair that lasted about 4 months total including the re-match phase. Afterwards he was sent on a jobber run so bad he eventually had to be taken off tv.

So definitely poorly-booked, but I think his ceiling was about Miz level anyway. No way he was escaping the midcard forever, even with a strong push.

What is the most ridiculous prop or entrance gimmick used in wrestling history? My favorite is Lanny Poffo wearing a graduation cap and gown everywhere (because that's what smart people do).

I liked when Rick Rude carried all his WCCW titles to the ring in a little red wagon. So arrogant and so practical...

- listen up,

RAF

I've been drifting in and out of watching wrestling for the past couple of years and I've recently started watching WWE again. What happened to Jack Swagger and Drew McIntyre? I remember Swagger having some very good matches with Christian in ECW and even becoming the World Heavyweight Champion out of nowhere, and now he's in this... not terribly entertaining mid-card heel gimmick and people are kicking out of the Gutwrench Powerbomb when it used to be a killer.

And Drew McIntyre was, as far as I remember correctly, introduced by Vince McMahon himself as 'a future WWE champion' and 'The Chosen One' and I remember seeing some matches of his on SmackDown where he was a dominant guy. Now, like Swagger, he's lost in heel mid-card with a not terribly entertaining gimmick?

What happened to them?

I know Drew got "punished" for being with Tiffany, though one would think Vince would've gotten over that by now.  I think Vince lost interest in Swagger after his underwhelming WHC title run.

I think Drew was another Chris Masters in which once he got good, the stench of "Who gives a flying fuck?" was too strong. They pushed them too hard even though he clearly wasn't good at anything besides being tall and having long hair. He was heatless and that goddamn John Morrison promo was worthy of burning in mid-card hell.

Swaggie failing to get the damn briefcase down did more to harm his career than any one single action imo

I'm voting for The Mountie's shock stick. Not because the shock stick itself is a necessarily ridiculous prop, but because of the absolutely ridiculous BRRR-ZAPPPP sound effect that would play every time he used it. That never fails to get a laugh out of me. 

• Like 1

Swagger has done one good thing in his career. That was his Trophy Promo. That was an A+++ promo. Other than that, he's been as average as one can get. He hasn't had any stand-out matches I can think of at all, except for the Sami Zayn match from a few weeks back. I literally cannot remember anything he did that was good. I'm sure he did good stuff in ECW but that was forever ago and I can't remember any of that stuff, either.Other than that, he's sorta worthless. He's a good enough hand but he's not anything special. He came off as a Kurt Angle rip-off and never really differentiated himself from that.

Swagger has never crawled above mediocre for any extended period of time. I don't even think you can really blame the booking with him either, while he has been the victim of the yoyo push, at no point pushed or not has he gotten the crowd to hate or love him. Jesus, remember when they were in Austin a few months ago and he got booed simply because he was from Oklahoma? Dude didn't even know how to react. It was sad. The only thing that I ever really liked from him was the series against Evan Bourne.

To tie this conversation together with the ridiculous props one we are having, everything I have said about Swagger is immediately forgotten of he starts coming to the ring with a sports almanac.

• Like 2

Swagger was really good on ECW, but come to think of it, he got to wrestle Matt Hardy a whole lot, and Hardy is pretty fucking awesome as a wrestler.

My favorite Swagger match is actually that really competitive one he had with Cena on some RAW a year or two ago. He looked like a champ, but then again, he was wrestling Cena, also pretty fucking awesome as a wrestler. 

I'm trying to think of a really good match Swagger had against someone that is good, but not awesome like those Hardy or Cena are. Nothing is coming to mind, but I'm sure that I'm missing something. 

As a detriment to a career? Definitely Moppy. Besides that, I'm not sure if Pepe was something designed as a punishment for Chavo, like Moppy supposedly was for Saturn over the Mike Bell incident.

In his book, Eddy said it was his idea, and Chavo thought it was terrible, right until it got massively over.

As a side note, my friend Jason is a lapsed wrestling fan who hasn't watched since the late 90's (minus him going to Mania this year with me, when he needed to be told who nearly everyone was.  Which was cool) and Chavo is still his favorite wrestler ever, mostly because of Pepe.

I'm voting for The Mountie's shock stick. Not because the shock stick itself is a necessarily ridiculous prop, but because of the absolutely ridiculous BRRR-ZAPPPP sound effect that would play every time he used it. That never fails to get a laugh out of me. 

I was watching the Piper/Mountie IC Title match from one of the Fox SNME's in 92 and I completely forgot about the shock sound effect. I could not stop laughing.