DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

So Jesse Sorensen is wrestling at ROH's next pay-per-view.

You know, I get that the guy has a dream, but looking at the situation, he is mind-bogglingly dumb.

1) WWE aren't going to sign to him (aside from his neck, he's too small and not even that good a worker), so he's never going to hit it big or make any real cash.

2) If TNA, who let pretty much anyone wrestle, refused to let him back in the ring, you know his neck must be still pretty fucked.

3) His mom already went bankrupt due to his wrestling career, and he's risking his health,and racking up even more bills, for $300 pay offs on the indies.

And shame on ROH for signing him and trying to cash in on whatever fleeting fame they think he has.

You know Theaters and Concert venues would give TNA an unique look and feel yet would feel intimate and familer to the audience as wrestling started in dimly lit small buildings and be completely different then the WWE so of course TNA would not do it

When I think of a theater, though, I think of a place with a stage and bolted-in seats facing it. You could wrestle on the stage, I guess, but it would make for weird viewing.

I was thinking that there's gotta be smaller gyms to run than one with 11,000 seats. They might have to kinda out of the way, but they might even do better doing shows on small college campuses and places like that. The best shows are the ones where the crowd is packed to the rafters - would ECW have been as hot if some money mark had bankrolled them into doing all their Philly shows at the Spectrum instead of the bingo hall?

Several years ago I saw a TNA house show (that's basically what it was, though it wasn't marketed as TNA, some offshoot that a nascar guy ran) in the gym of a small college in Fayetteville, NC.  There were maybe a couple hundred people there but it didn't look deserted as I doubt the place could have held more than 1000 so it didn't look terrible.

So I was in Potbelly's (sandwich shop) and I sat down next to a WWE the Magazine. I was browsing it a little and then the owner came over and grabbed his stuff from the area I was sitting. I guess he had already sat his stuff down. So he walks away and sits down somewhere else and starts eating. I finish my foot and I go ask him, "Wrestling fan huh." He says yea. Then we started talking.

He was around 60 years old, black dude. Kinda country. dialect.

He started out saying how he was a fan of Snuka, Superstar Billy Graham, Ken Patera, Bruno and a bunch of the other stars of WWF from that era.

He also started talking about steriods and how people foolishly believe they weren't used heavily back in the day.

He said he didn't really care for Hulk Hogan but it was a big moment when he beat Andre because nobody had really seen him dominated before that point in time. He didn't care for Andre either.

He RAVED about Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. He talked about how far they came. He even referenced them coming from ROH without me having to assist him. He said he would have never imagined those dudes coming from where they came from becoming the stars that they are now.

He didn't really talk much about Cena but he doesn't care much about him.

He really talked a lot about Superstar Jimmy Graham and how he influenced so many wrestlers.

We spent a little time talking about Benoit and how roid-rage was probably the cause of what happened with him.

He brought up Vicki Guerrero getting a sweet deal after Eddie died. He also talked about how unbelievable of a World Champion Eddie and Rey were. He says that they had no business winning a World title. 

He talked about the Rock painting himself in Green last year and posing as the Incredible Hawk. 

He raved about HBK. He called HBK the Iron Man. He specifically called him a "Marathon Wrestler." He says Bret and Shawn remind him of Daniel and Punk. Little dudes that look legit.

He talked about all of the talent that came out of the state of Minnesota. The Hennigs, Rude. 

He also talked about how much he liked Piper and he was amazed that I knew about the Snuka/Piper Coconut spot. He was like, "Damn you remember that. You probably weren't even born."

He spent like 5 mins talking about how he hates the state of women's wrestling. He says all of the girls look the same now and Vince McMahon should be embarrassed of himself to put those girls in the ring as bad as they are. He brought up Fabolous Moolah and SHeri Martel and talked about how they were actual WRESTLERS.

He talked about how cool of a white boy Dusty Rhodes was.

He spent like 5 mins talking about the Von Erich family and how they were all messed up. How tragic of a family story that was.

He knew who Liger was! Of course I brought it up. He liked Liger, Tiger Mask, Strong Kobayashi, and Kawada. He brought up those names!

He talked about the Snuka/Backlund match and how Snuka had him beat but he went back up to the top of the cage. We talked about Snuka supposedly killing that girl. He said Bob Backlund was the man back in the day. A Legit dude.

He talked about how good Kurt Angle was but how he was on that stuff.

So I was essentially just throwing names out there just to get an opinion.

We were browsing the magazine together and there is a picture of The Shield and he says, "Those are some bad dudes. I have never seen somebody come in like that. They didn't come in scared, they put their foot down." He then went on to talk about how they could have made it in any era.

There was probably more but I can't remember anything else right now. We talked for like 1.5 hours. Really enjoyed that talk.
  • Like 11

It's Tommaso Ciampa and... um, somebody else.

Holy shit, I thought you were kidding but Sorensen really is wrestling Ciampa.

Well, Panda wouldn't pay his medical bills, maybe Sinclair will.

I work for Sinclair.  You are way more optimistic about it than I am.

• Like 1

We were browsing the magazine together and there is a picture of The Shield and he says, "Those are some bad dudes. I have never seen somebody come in like that. They didn't come in scared, they put their foot down." He then went on to talk about how they could have made it in any era.

This comment is 100% true.

They have a confidence that most of the call-ups from NXT completely lack, maybe its a personality thing but Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns from day one have had a belief about them that they DESERVE to be where they are.

Holy shit, they really are doing Bad News Barrett that people were fantasy booking on here. That whole clip was amazing, I have a ton of JBL and Cole to catch up on.

So he's just gonna randomly walk into backstage segments and say "Bad news, everyone!" like Professor Farnsworth from Futurama?

• Like 2

So I was in Potbelly's (sandwich shop) and I sat down next to a WWE the Magazine. I was browsing it a little and then the owner came over and grabbed his stuff from the area I was sitting. I guess he had already sat his stuff down. So he walks away and sits down somewhere else and starts eating. I finish my foot and I go ask him, "Wrestling fan huh." He says yea. Then we started talking.

He started out saying how he was a fan of Snuka, Superstar Billy Graham, Ken Patera, Bruno and a bunch of the other stars of WWF from that era.

He didn't mention Bobo Brazil? Most old timers around here (the midwest) when talking about old school wrestling always bring up Bobo & Dick the Bruiser.

• Like 1

He didn't mention Bobo Brazil? Most old timers around here (the midwest) when talking about old school wrestling always bring up Bobo & Dick the Bruiser.

Yea we talked about BoBo Brazil. I forgot some things in the convo

This comment is 100% true.

They have a confidence that most of the call-ups from NXT completely lack, maybe its a personality thing but Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns from day one have had a belief about them that they DESERVE to be where they are.

They have not been beat down. Amazing how that works. 

• Like 1

So apparently TNA is trying to get back into Universal Studios for some tapings, likely in a rush since they canceled a few tapings in November and December. Is a return to the Impact Zone pretty much the final confirmation that TNA is really never going to get any bigger? I mean there's always been the carrot to dangle there for TNA: if they can just get on TV, if they can just get another hour, if they can just get on prime time, if they just bring in __ (Sting, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, etc etc), if they just go live head to head with Raw, if they just get out of the Impact Zone. What carrot is left to dangle? I guess there's the Jim Ross fantasy which will play out forever because he's way too smart to go there, but after that there is really no "next big idea" for TNA. The company just is what it is.

The company just is what it i

Which is what they shoulda stuck with in the first place. They lost a LOT of money trying to be bigger than they are, and didnt draw in a single new fan to the company.

WOOOOO! Back to the Impact Zone we go...

So apparently TNA is trying to get back into Universal Studios for some tapings, likely in a rush since they canceled a few tapings in November and December. Is a return to the Impact Zone pretty much the final confirmation that TNA is really never going to get any bigger? I mean there's always been the carrot to dangle there for TNA: if they can just get on TV, if they can just get another hour, if they can just get on prime time, if they just bring in __ (Sting, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, etc etc), if they just go live head to head with Raw, if they just get out of the Impact Zone. What carrot is left to dangle? I guess there's the Jim Ross fantasy which will play out forever because he's way too smart to go there, but after that there is really no "next big idea" for TNA. The company just is what it is.

I was under the impression that someone else now occupies the Impact Zone space.