DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

IIRC Taker was supposed to work Summerslam this year but he got hurt in his last match.

I hadn't heard this - any idea what the rumored program was?Getting himself injured after working 3 or 4 matches this year is probably a good argument that they need to keep his schedule as light as it is.

C&P from prowrestling.com:

There was immediate speculation that The Wyatts were gearing up for a SummerSlam match against Kane and The Undertaker after they took out Kane on RAW last night. F4Wonline.com reports that The Undertaker may not be ready for SummerSlam as he’s hurt again. Apparently Taker injured himself in his most recent WWE TV angle with The Shield a few months ago.

C&P from prowrestling.com:

There was immediate speculation that The Wyatts were gearing up for a SummerSlam match against Kane and The Undertaker after they took out Kane on RAW last night. F4Wonline.com reports that The Undertaker may not be ready for SummerSlam as he’s hurt again. Apparently Taker injured himself in his most recent WWE TV angle with The Shield a few months ago.

So, just speculation, then.I think the days of Taker working outside of WrestleMania season are over - we're pretty lucky he's in good enough shape to do that. Triple H essentially said Taker was too beaten up to do more than he's doing in that Masked Man interview.

Someone help me out here.  I want to get a new WWE Blu-Ray set with their sale going on but I can't decide on a second set.  I'm getting the Mid-South set for sure but I can't decide on the Goldberg set or the Best of Nitro Vol. 2 set for my freebie.  Which one do you guys think would be more fun?  I'm guessing the matches on the Nitro set are better but workrate isn't something I want to worry about.  I just want some fun stuff to watch.

Someone help me out here. I want to get a new WWE Blu-Ray set with their sale going on but I can't decide on a second set. I'm getting the Mid-South set for sure but I can't decide on the Goldberg set or the Best of Nitro Vol. 2 set for my freebie. Which one do you guys think would be more fun? I'm guessing the matches on the Nitro set are better but workrate isn't something I want to worry about. I just want some fun stuff to watch.

I've seen it somewhere that the Blu exclusives that are supposed to be on that Mid-South set are in fact NOT on it. Dunno if they've fixed that or not .... just an fyi.

If you want something fun to watch defiantly go with Goldberg I'm still on the first disc, only up to the Hulk title match, however I've had a swell time watching.

The Mongo match is surprising a pretty intense match. Mongo desperately wants to stop this relative newcomers hot streak, to prove he could be just as good of a pro wrestler if not better then a pro football player, keeping up, even seemingly the upper hand ever so briefly. Until he can't keep up anymore with the younger, faster, more aggressive and effortlessly more powerful Bill Goldberg. A Mr. Goldberg who was still very green and had only been on TV for three months the crowd is already indulged in him it's easy to tell he is destined for stardom. Plus there is a very awesome spot where Goldberg spears Mongo off the ring apron through a waiting table in the floor where afterwards there is a brief but audible E-C-Dub chant.

Web Conn, you tossed me over the edge for the Goldberg set.  Actually, I ended up buying another set of 2 sets on my Bill Me Later account, so I ended up getting both sets, along with the Mid-South and nWo sets.  I've got a ton of WCW to watch here and I'll probably start with the Goldberg set.

Ken Shamrock's delusions are both sad and hilarious. He claims to be "blackballed".

WWE

“…I don't think I have any enemies, other than probably Hunter, who I didn't think we didn't get along, but we rubbed shoulders a few times the wrong way...I don't know, I've been asking someone to please let me know what is going on, because I would really love to come back and get that shot at the title..." 

TNA

"...TNA, in the short time I was there, I didn't have the time I needed to work there. Now I have that time and I am in great shape...I don't need to worry about keeping my size down for fighting because I'm not fighting...so yeah I'm pretty much open for getting back..."

Why the big 2 aren't tripping over themselves to hire a 50 year old headcase with neck issues, I have no idea.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never seen a minute of Mid-South footage in my life.  That set will be first my look at everything.

Wow.  When you do watch it and get to the Midnight Express vs. Watts/Stagger Lee feud on the extras, pause it after the Watts/Cornette confrontation and YouTube "midnight express attack watts."  For whatever reason, they include the entire feud except for the most important part which is where the Midnights and Cornette beat the complete shit out of Watts which pretty much justifies what happens the rest of the way.  Without that, Bill Watts kinda comes off like a total dickhead (which may have been the point.)

• Like 1

So Michael Hayes got suspended for trying to get a fresh-out-of-rehab Rosa Mendes drunk at a bar.

Apparently Road Dogg has also been assuming a lot of responsibilities that belonged to Hayes before.

Is RVD's contract (and Jericho's I guess) the first step into getting "seasons" going in WWE?  There would need to be some kind of overlap so everyone gets a WM payday, but it'd be nice to let some of the guys recuperate for a couple of months.  Hell, they've got a large enough roster that some people disappear for months at a time from TV anyway

You get out of here with that logic! There is no room for that in WWE!

Now, if you'll excuse us - there's a wrestler backstage who is too confident in their abilities that needs to be taken down a peg.

I've said for years, that if WWE was really serious about the health of the boys, they would tour in buses like the top Japanese promotions. 

The only problem with that is the US is eleventy billion times bigger than Japan, so unless everyone has mobile command centers there's still going to be a lot of flights each week.

Steel Cage Match

Goldberg vs. Christian

RAW - May 12, 2003

Admittedly I barely remember any WWE from around this time, but what issue could these two have possibly had?

It was probably a set-up for the Goldberg/Jericho match at Bad Blood that year.

Steel Cage Match

Goldberg vs. Christian

RAW - May 12, 2003

Admittedly I barely remember any WWE from around this time, but what issue could these two have possibly had?

Christian was one of the front-and-center guys during the "no one wants Goldberg in WWE" angle.

Steel Cage Match

Goldberg vs. Christian

RAW - May 12, 2003

Christian was one of the front-and-center guys during the "no one wants Goldberg in WWE" angle.

Christian was also kind of The Rock's lackey at the time, while Rock was doing movies and not yet fully retired...IIRC he helped keep the Rock/Goldberg feud moving along when Rock wasn't there. He also took a hideous jackhammer where it looked like Goldberg broke Christian's tailbone.

Per Court Bauer on the Bauer and Pollock podcast - Michael Hayes suspended for offering Rosa Mendes drinks right when Rosa was coming back from her recent problems. WWE decided it was insensitive, and sent him home for an indefinite period.