DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Whatever happened to Above Average Mike Sanders, anyway?  The rest of NBT all had runs in the WWE, but I don't recall him ever showing up.

Palumbo got really good during the biker gimmick run.  He was born a decade+ too late, would have been a perfect opponent for Hogan circa-86 or so.

O'Haire was the only one that I think had any real main event potential in the 21st century  So much charisma and a really good athlete.  But he never got much better in the ring, and all the backstage shit.

Jindrak...  I don't remember jackshit about him except being the other guy with Sean O'Haire.

Whatever happened to Above Average Mike Sanders, anyway?  The rest of NBT all had runs in the WWE, but I don't recall him ever showing up.

Palumbo got really good during the biker gimmick run.  He was born a decade+ too late, would have been a perfect opponent for Hogan circa-86 or so.

O'Haire was the only one that I think had any real main event potential in the 21st century  So much charisma and a really good athlete.  But he never got much better in the ring, and all the backstage shit.

Jindrak...  I don't remember jackshit about him except being the other guy with Sean O'Haire.

I think Sanders was in HWA, don't believe he ever got called up.  I know for sure he was in TNA for a while.

I think Sanders was in HWA, don't believe he ever got called up.  I know for sure he was in TNA for a while.

He did an interview in 03 blaming Paul Heyman and his Jew Magic for ruining his career on the writing staff. 

Posted Image

Credit to Kharma for dropping so much weight, but has she, in fact, lost the one thing that made her special in wrestling?

She's still bigger than most (if not all) the WWE divas. I don't think her size before the weightloss was what made her special, though. If that was the case, they'd just hire Betsy Ruth or someone else of similiar size. :P

Even worse, Jones had two "runs" in WWE, first as a heel and then later as a face, totally ignoring the first run.  And apart from the totally botched spin kick, I can't remember a single thing Jones did.  He did, however, have a shockingly good match against Scott Steiner on one of those WWA PPV's.

All I remember is being told he lost his shit and ripped the door off his jail cell once. Other than that he could just as well be Mark Jindrak.
 Wasn't he Undertaker's 'protege' for a while?
 The Colossus of Boggo Road
Jones's WWE run must have been really forgettable, he was face first as Undertaker's protege where he fell over on his debut and got nixed from the WM19 match at the last minute. Not sure if he actually wrestled any televised matches in this run?He then was off TV until October/November 2003 when he refuted with Matt Morgan as part of team Brock prior to Survivor Series. He wrestled Angle, Benoit and Shannon Moore from what I recall, not sure if he did anything after the PPV. He quit mid tour after the Russian plane ride from hell, just before they toured Australia...

Posted Image

Credit to Kharma for dropping so much weight, but has she, in fact, lost the one thing that made her special in wrestling?

She was this size when she started. She got better when she was bigger, but that was more coincidence than anything else.

From the f4wonline.com update yesterday:

--Adam "Edge" Copeland turned 40 today. Happy Birthday to him, a superior performer and one of the real professional success stories of the industry.

Edge seems to divide some opinion. I'm a big fan, I've always liked him with the Brood, the awesomeness tag team with Christian and the Rated R Superstar. Edge cashing in the Money in the Bank contract on John Cena after he retained the WWE Championship at New Year's Revolution 2006 was so well done. Edge should have held the WWE Championship in his first reign longer than he did.

Edge's best singles match for me was against The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXIV and his best overall match was with Rey Mysterio against Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit at No Mercy 2002.

Yeah, but it's hard to argue against the idea that without gimmick matches, he'd have a pretty unremarkable career. Most of his best matches involved plunder.

I'd agree most of his best matches are gimmick ones. I'm thinking the first TLC match at SummerSlam 2000, the second one at WrestleMania X-Seven, No DQ With Eddie Guerrero on the post Unforgiven 2002 Smackdown, TLC vs. Ric Flair on RAW in January 2006, vs. Mick Foley in a Hardcore match at WrestleMania 22, with Mick Foley and Lita against Terry Funk/Tommy Dreamer/Beulah in an Extreme Rules match at ECW One Night Stand 2006 and the 2009 (RAW)/2011 Elimination Chamber matches.

As for non-gimmick matches, I'd have:

vs. Kurt Angle, Backlash 2002 and Judgment Day 2002

with Rey Mysterio vs. Kurt Angle/Chris Benoit, No Mercy 2002

vs. Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle, Smackdown (5th December 2002)

vs. Randy Orton, Vengeance 2004

vs. John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Randy Orton, Backlash 2007

vs. Randy Orton, Post Backlash 2007 RAW

vs. The Undertaker, WrestleMania XXIV

What is the big deal?  If he makes it to the WWE they are only going to change his name anyway.  If he is good and deserves to be there then I wish him the best.  

Not sure how changing his name would help when everyone knows who he is anyway.

That would make a huge difference, not having BENOIT BENOIT BENOIT all over the graphics all of the time.

You think people watch a match with whatever Joe Hennig's called and constantly think Perfect Jr?

For the life of me, I cannot remember an angle or a match in the WWE that involved the use of a baseball bat.

From about '98 onwards there seemed to be one in WCW at least once a week.

Foley vs. Flair's I Quit Match is the last one I can think of.

I don't even understand what a Sit Out Press Slam is. Are we saying he's got them up Ultimate Warrior Gorilla style and he just sit down while the guy falls down?

This drove me nuts til I went to youtube to remember. It was really more like a press slam into a falcon arrow or whatever. Perfectly viable because the head gets tucked somewhat so it's sort of like a bigger Michinoku Driver. This place used to love when Albert would Last Ride the Hardys before Taker started using it.

I didn't realize how much of a moovez freak he is. I totally dug that reverse full nelson dealie. The Gorilla Michinoku Driver makes sense now that I see it. Some one should be doing the Derailer.

ALSO another finisher that's on the table - THE MOTHER FUCKIN DOMINATOR. I wish Claudio was doing that instead of that Neutralizer.