DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

The shortest Meltzer 5 star match was Ishii vs Shibata from the G1 Climax this year (8/4).   It clocked in at 12:17. I also remember he gave 4 3/4***** to a Rey-Psicosis match that lasted less than 10 minutes on the War Super J Cup (12/13/95)

What was the  5 star match that went 18:09?

The shortest Meltzer 5 star match was Ishii vs Shibata from the G1 Climax this year (8/4).   It clocked in at 12:17. I also remember he gave 4 3/4***** to a Rey-Psicosis match that lasted less than 10 minutes on the War Super J Cup (12/13/95)

Oh man, 4 3/4 for Rey n Psicosis. All I remember of that match was at least 3-4 straight minutes of highspot to the floor, roll into the ring, hit your guy roll to the floor, hightspot to the floor, rinse lather repeat. Even in 95 I thought it was a bit to much overkill to the match

Poor Jindrak got a good push as part of the NBT in WCW, but he ended up getting overshadowed by his regular tag partner O'Haire doing a senton bomb, which actually was kind of cool to see from a bigger guy. 

Also he was overshadowed by Above Average Mike Sanders, who was a hell of a shit-talker and pretty entertaining in the ring, too. 

Going back to finishers, I love simple finishers that are just done with impact, like lariatoooos and running powerslams. I'd love to see Big E do a running powerslam if he just buries the dude on it. 

Big E Langston has that shit Belly Cutter finish when he should be Jackhammering dudes.

Others have suggested he use the Pounce.

Look personally I can't forgive what Benoit did to his family, and I haven't watched a match of his in years because of what happened. But I'm a fan, I didn't work with him, or knew him personally. But I'm sure some of the wrestlers that did work with him, and knew him very personally do still care deeply about him, and what he ended up doing to his legacy.

Also now that I think about it. If Shawn is the Christian he says he is(which I believe he is) he most likely did the Crossface as a way of I saying "I forgive him".

I never understood why the Jericho's of this world were able to talk about Benoit with affection, even in the older times. Until earlier this year when an old friend of mine and guy I wrestled many times, Brian McGhee murdered his girlfriend. Yeah.....

From everything I've seen, Matt Bourne finished more people off with the Stump Puller than the Whoopie Cushion. 

They really should give that suplex into a stunner that R-Truth uses as a transition move and give it to someone for a finisher.

Yeah, Masato Tanaka had those Stunner variations, someone should be using them. Maybe not in the WWE, because of obvious reasons, but why isn't anyone rocking the diamond dust. I bet Heath Slater could do a good Buff Blockbuster.

AND REMEMBER WHEN EVERYONE HAD A TORNADO DDT? Christian had like three different ones. How far has that move fallen?

It's crazy that no one ever stole the Diamond Dust.  I can't even remember anyone in ECW or the indies doing it.  The tornado DDT was the pre-curser to the shining wizard.  Everyone was doing it.  

I'm intrigued. What did(n't) he do?

blew off Droz. Considered himself above everybody in developmental and wouldn't introduce himself or mingle. Didn't go along with the whole handshaking deal.

You really think Billy Gunn never got over as a singles competitor?  He may not have been in the main event, but the Ass Man was over.  That being said, he might not have reached his full potential, but he was a way bigger star than Mark Jindrak.

By modern standards, Gunn would be a three time world champion. 

From everything I've seen, Matt Bourne finished more people off with the Stump Puller than the Whoopie Cushion. 

They really should give that suplex into a stunner that R-Truth uses as a transition move and give it to someone for a finisher.

Yeah, Masato Tanaka had those Stunner variations, someone should be using them. Maybe not in the WWE, because of obvious reasons, but why isn't anyone rocking the diamond dust. I bet Heath Slater could do a good Buff Blockbuster.

AND REMEMBER WHEN EVERYONE HAD A TORNADO DDT? Christian had like three different ones. How far has that move fallen?

It's crazy that no one ever stole the Diamond Dust.  I can't even remember anyone in ECW or the indies doing it.

Funaki's finisher in WWF No Mercy was a Diamond Dust, but I don't ever remember him using it on TV. I do believe Jazz used it briefly during her early run in the WWE.

Edit: Oh, and Layla used it briefly too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY4eZ4fBcGE

You guys are sleeping on the Mark of Excellence as Big E.'s finisher.

I forgot who used it(might have been Cena), but someone did use it during RAW this past monday.

Big E.'s too small for it anyway.

It was Roman Reigns & I think he did it on Sunday, not Monday.

• Like 1

The only two things I remember about Mark Jindrak in WWE are that he teamed with Luther Reigns (remember him?) as Kurt Angle's enforcers, and that he had a match on Velocity with Doug Basham that was surprisingly good. Oh, and his knock-out punch finisher wasn't Big Show-level atrocious.

I thought it was Nathan Jones that was with Luther Reigns as apart of Kurt Angle's enforcers? I think you're messing with me. 

blew off Droz. Considered himself above everybody in developmental and wouldn't introduce himself or mingle. Didn't go along with the whole handshaking deal.

In fairness, re: Droz. I think the issue was that him and Palumbo didn't go up to shake his hand because they weren't even sure if he could. It was more a misunderstanding than them being dicks.

In fairness, re: Droz. I think the issue was that him and Palumbo didn't go up to shake his hand because they weren't even sure if he could. It was more a misunderstanding than them being dicks.

They had a history of being standoff-ish by then already. It's not that they didn't shake his hand, it's that they didn't go up to him at all. We were supposed to have them for a couple months in UPW, but they got called up after one show. We were grateful for that. We were doubly grateful that we got Chavo and Mando Guerrero as substitutes.

If you had to choose right now, I'm curious who everyone thinks is going to win the Royal Rumble in January?

Well, Bryan seems to be a no-brainer.  Trips and Stef throw some no title match clause Daniel Bryan's way, try to keep him out of the rumble, and then rig the lottery so Bryan comes in early (1).  Bryan wins the Rumble, beats Orton (Trips, maybe) for the title at Wrestlemania. 

Not convinced they're going to go that way, so... yeah, Cena.  Maybe Stone Cold Paul Wright or Sheamus if he comes back in time.

The only two things I remember about Mark Jindrak in WWE are that he teamed with Luther Reigns (remember him?) as Kurt Angle's enforcers, and that he had a match on Velocity with Doug Basham that was surprisingly good. Oh, and his knock-out punch finisher wasn't Big Show-level atrocious.

I thought it was Nathan Jones that was with Luther Reigns as apart of Kurt Angle's enforcers? I think you're messing with me. 

Nathan Jones was part of Team Brock in 03.