DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

C'mon, you obiviously don't see the long term booking of making Sandow a top superstar in the company, he's heading right to the main event!

Well, it's Sandow, so it really hurts nothing, because, well, it's Sandow.

Mark Angelosetti deserves a shot at the bigs.

He's really great, but I think he will run in to problems moving forward. He is so good at playing the jock bully that it's almost all you can picture him as, but that character won't fly in WWE since he's only about 5'6". It would be awesome if a jock heel got over enough where Anglosetti could be this generations Crash Holly.

Semi-awesome/semi-discouraging thing of the week:  The Legends of Mid-South dvd set has already been marked down from 19.95 to 12.95 at my (and thus, presumably, your) local Wal-mart.

Awesome, because, hey, 13 bucks for that.  Discouraging because, fuck, it probably didn't sell many copies at all if they are already discounting it, and given that reportedly the AWA and WCCW sets also didn't sell, it might be the last territory retrospective we get, outside more WCW and/or ECW.

Semi-awesome/semi-discouraging thing of the week:  The Legends of Mid-South dvd set has already been marked down from 19.95 to 12.95 at my (and thus, presumably, your) local Wal-mart.

Awesome, because, hey, 13 bucks for that.  Discouraging because, fuck, it probably didn't sell many copies at all if they are already discounting it, and given that reportedly the AWA and WCCW sets also didn't sell, it might be the last territory retrospective we get, outside more WCW and/or ECW.

Given that most of the interviews on these sets appear to be brief excerpts of longer, wide-ranging interviews they did in the past, and they already have the footage of the matches themselves, I can't imagine the overhead on these things is too high. If Full Moon can sell 3 Puppet Master movies for 8 bucks, WWE can't be hurting too much on these.

RE: David Benoit

I don't get it, I mean if OJ's kid decided to go into football, would people really be that bothered by it? Or is it just the "Benoit" name attached to it? Say he went by David Sullivan or something? Does it change it?

RE: David Benoit

I don't get it, I mean if OJ's kid decided to go into football, would people really be that bothered by it? Or is it just the "Benoit" name attached to it? Say he went by David Sullivan or something? Does it change it?

I'd say it's worse because you can't really blame football for what happened with OJ.  He was long retired by that point. The issue was more that he was stuck in this destructive love/hate relationship with this woman that was always headed for disaster.

With Benoit, though, the pressures of wrestling, as well as all the drug use that went with it, played a massive part in what happened. Yeah, the guy always had something up with him, but I don't think things would have ended like they did if he'd been a plumber or dentist. Even Benoit's own dad has flat out said he blames the business. 

David getting involved with wrestling is too messed up to even think about.

They need to re-book Psycho 2 when they eventually sign him.

Have him given a lowly job as a ringboy or timekeeper or something, have a heel call him out on who he REALLY is, and that he shouldn't be there, and that Da Boys In Da Back don't want him anywhere near them because his father was a no good murderer. Despite the better protests of David Benoit, and even Jericho, they won't buy that he's a mild mannered kid wanting to break into the business and nothing like his father.

Then all of a sudden, guys start getting laid out backstage and found with bibles next to them. Everyone immediately points the finger at David, but he denies any responsibility for it. He accuses someone of trying to frame him and run him out of the WWE and ruin his dream. The next week they even bring in elderly Kevin Sullivan to also deny he was behind it.

Eventually, generic heel authority figure gives David his first match. You see vignettes of him warming up backstage preparing for his first match, talking to someone, who is assumed to be Jericho. David walks out of the dressing room to head to the ring, but the camera is still partially on the dressing room, and all you hear is "The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open....." before the commercial break.

David wins his first match by forfeit as the guy is beaten up in the backstage area. David goes off to find him, as the guy's being loaded into the ambulance, someone irrelevant like a gopher, a costumer designer or Zach Ryder says that they saw him being put into the Crippler Crossface and they swear it was Chris Benoit, man, it was definitely him, he's alive. People start wondering if he's *really* alive.

Fast forward a month or so, and it's revealed it's just David Benoit in a creepy wig, pretending to be his Dad. This guy becomes the greatest psycho heel of the last 30 years. At some point or another, they re-do the origins of Taker/Kane with Al Perez playing "Fragile X".

• Like 7