DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I have a feeling Big Show will walk out as WWE champion tonight.

That's where all this is headed, whether it happens tonight or not.

Is it ok now for those of us who shit on the post-Summerslam booking from the outset to say we told you so?

• Like 2

Hold on a second.  One of the problems people have with Michaels, a pro-wrestler, is him acting cartoonish and the announcers hyping him?  Is this real life?

Well, that's oversimplified. I think that there is an effective way to put over what we're watching as an amazing spectacle, and that way does not involve the announcers continually stating "Wow, what an amazing spectacle that only we can give you on this show that is also an amazing spectacle every year! Spectacle!" I could be watching with more of a jaded eye, but I feel like current-gen WWE matches really try to underscore how dramatic and amazing these matches are a bit too much. 

I'm also not against overacting necessarily. Pro wrestling is a stage play and wrestlers have to overact for the crowd in attendance. But come on, Michaels' "I have a hard decision to make" or his "Oh no, I pissed off the wrong guy!" faces are SO BAD. On the "effective cartoonish overacting scale," they are less "Matt Bourne laughing maniacally and then grimacing evilly into the camera as Doink the Clown" and more "Cheatum rubbing his hands together and MUAHAHA-ing."

Nah, Daniel Bryan wins the title, then wins a rematch.  HHH says that enough is enough and he has to do the job himself.  He destroys Bryan in a title match at the Royal Rumble, only to see Big Show win the Rumble.  As a final obstacle, HHH forces Show to defend his Wrestlemania title shot in an Elimination Chamber match where he has to enter first and face the Shield, Randy Orton, and....someone else.

Nah, Daniel Bryan wins the title, then wins a rematch.  HHH says that enough is enough and he has to do the job himself.  He destroys Bryan in a title match at the Royal Rumble, only to see Big Show win the Rumble.  As a final obstacle, HHH forces Show to defend his Wrestlemania title shot in an Elimination Chamber match where he has to enter first and face the Shield, Randy Orton, and....someone else.

A returning Ken Kennedy who HHH introduces as Mr. McMahon's bastard son and rightful heir to the company and then is installed as HHH's right-hand-man and CEO-in-waiting?

I'm totally fine with a Show title run. It's in the path of the story arc. I'm a total mark this whole angle because it has branched out and gotten so many other people involved. Show's always at least decent but now he has a purpose. The Rhodes boys have gotten entangled in this and have turned in two masterpieces w/ The Shield. Big E.'s now stepping into this.

If you hate Cena, then the WWE's probably not for you. Not sure what else to tell you. If he's healthy, he's going to be the top dog (or one of the two top stars). I'm perfectly fine with that because he's one of the greatest workers of all-time. But if you don't like Cena (or hate him so much that you can't enjoy hating him like a lot of people) than there are plenty of wrestling options for you. Just check those out and enjoy them than actively watch something you hate.

• Like 4

It just seems like a huge step backwards to me.  On the other hand, Cena's back, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

I'm going to go on record as saying Cena is back for this PPV but he's not really back. If he were really back, he'd be given a mic and a twenty minute segment to make Montezuma's Revenge jokes about Alberto Del Rio. I figure he comes in for the match (and the buyrate), then gets "taken out" by Del Rio and gets more time off.

It's been refreshing with Cena gone...  not that I want to see anyone injured. With that said, we all knew that eventually he would reclaim his throne. There are two opposing forces at play. There are people in the company who appreciate the slow burn and appreciate storytelling and then there are people who are only concerned with immediate results. As long as Vince is in control Cena will be the go-to guy when ratings aren't what he wants them to be..

Greggulator, was that aimed at me?  Because I never said anything about hating Cena.  My point was that, with Cena back, whoever has the title is, to quote Ric Flair, "second best, at best."

And yes, Cena's back.  They haven't given him mic time yet because they want you to pay to see him.

Meltzer flat out said on WOR that the Carters have given up on TNA and are currently trying to sell it. They apparently do have a few potential buyers, with Bischoff being one guy trying to put together the capital to buy it.

A google search hasn't turned up any new info, so I don't think so.

Bischoff does have a lot of TV/entertainment connections, though, so I wouldn't be too surprised if he managed to get someone to back him.

Conning people into giving him cash is pretty much the only thing he is good at.

• Like 1