DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Honestly though... are some of you suggesting that HBK did not have great matches during his last run? I didn't see anyone on the old board say anything negative about the two Shawn/Taker matches. It was high praise from almost everyone. If there were people that didn't feel they were MOTYC's...they were few and far between.

2003 Survivor Series..  his comeback had the fans going nuclear. It's the only thing I remember from that show.

His match on RAW vs. Shelton in the Gold Rush tourney was also very good. I was there live for that one. The finish was spectacular.

The hour long match vs. Cena.  There's a lot more. I don't see how the comeback was a failure at all.

• Like 3

I think Shawn's second run suffers because he no longer came across as cool. He used to be this generations Flair, but he morphed in to your friends dad who thinks he is way funnier than he is and tells the same stories over and over.

• Like 2

I don't know if beg is the word, but I really wanted to see him be obnoxious dick bag heel. He's just a very easy person to hate, and heel Michaels vs. Face Rey would have rocked my balls.

Sunny posted this photo from a convention today.

Posted Image

Now, I know people react to things in different ways, but how many women's response to finding out their cancer had come back would be to spend the rest of the week plugging their amazon wishlist, fighting with fans on twitter, arranging Skype conversations AND letting weird dudes give them foot massages?

Have you ever had cancer? Because I haven't, and I'm not going to judge how someone else deals with it.

I said people react differently. I'm not demanding the woman dress in black and lie on her sofa weeping for days.

But, you have to admit, announcing your cancer has returned to the world before asking marks to buy stuff for you on amazon less than five minutes later is more than a bit dubious. 

Of course, it's Sunny, so I'm probably just looking for things to be suspicious of. She DID just lie less than a month ago about getting mugged in the street after all.

I don't know. Is anyone going to be truly surprised if it comes out she's lying?

Have you ever had cancer? Because I haven't, and I'm not going to judge how someone else deals with it.

I said people react differently. I'm not demanding the woman dress in black and lie on her sofa weeping for days.
And yet you're still saying that she isn't acting in a way that meets your approval.

Honestly though... are some of you suggesting that HBK did not have great matches during his last run? I didn't see anyone on the old board say anything negative about the two Shawn/Taker matches. It was high praise from almost everyone. If there were people that didn't feel they were MOTYC's...they were few and far between.

2003 Survivor Series..  his comeback had the fans going nuclear. It's the only thing I remember from that show.

His match on RAW vs. Shelton in the Gold Rush tourney was also very good. I was there live for that one. The finish was spectacular.

The hour long match vs. Cena.  There's a lot more. I don't see how the comeback was a failure at all.

I'm not saying Shawn didn't have good matches. But I don't care for his work in general: his over-reliance on structuring almost every post-comeback match around his "surgically repaired back" (to quote JR); his cartoonish selling and posturing; his overlong "tuning up the band"; or his usually unexciting and repetitive offense.

To be frank, outside of Shawn/Taker and Shawn/Flair, I don't even remember a single one of the matches people have mentioned. I assume the Shelton one is the one that ended with the springboard into the super kick?

Most of what I remember about Shawn post-comeback is negative:

-Interminably feuding with/teaming with/feuding with Triple H;

-Being inserted into the WM main event with HHH and Benoit;

-Shawn-Is-Broke-Has-To-Work-For-JBL;

-The comedy match with Hogan;

-Hornswoggle's people putting DX on trial;

I think he feuded with Batista over retiring Flair? And I guess he and Hunter sent the Spirit Squad back to OVW. The only thing I enjoyed, aside from the superkicking of fry cooks and girl scouts, was him being thrown face first into the obscenely expensive JeriTron 5000.

• Like 1

But, you have to admit, announcing your cancer has returned to the world before asking marks to buy stuff for you on amazon less than five minutes later is more than a bit dubious. 

Of course, it's Sunny, so I'm probably just looking for things to be suspicious of. She DID just lie less than a month ago about getting mugged in the street after all.

I don't know. Is anyone going to be truly surprised if it comes out she's lying?

lying about cancer and lying about being mugged are two totally different things.

The biggest problem with Shawn's comeback is that he had no business whatsoever wrestling on television every week. Yes, Shawn had some great matches during his comeback but on a week to week basis on Raw he also had a lot more matches that were shitty or unwatchable.

lying about cancer and lying about being mugged are two totally different things.

Yes, but it's still blatant lying. Girl who cried wolf, etc.

I would not say that, but I would say that he was a less effective TV wrestler than he ever had been overall. That Cena match is a definite outlier. I can't think of many great TV matches he had once he came back beyond that. One hour match versus Cena aside, does post-2002 Michaels have anything on par with that hot match with Marty Jannetty where Jannetty wins the IC belt off of him? Just as one example.Heck, I remember Michaels having solid TV matches pinballing around for dudes like Jim Duggan back in the early RAW days that, at least for me, were more memorable than most of his TV stuff.

His PPV stuff is hit or miss. I actually am not a big fan of those HBK/Taker matches at WM. Too much melodrama and almost contrived "This is epic, see how epic we are being" stuff that honestly might have been better without the announcers talking about how amazing what we are seeing is so constantly. Geez, I would say that my favorite post-comeback Michaels PPV performance is...geez, maybe his performance in the '07(?) Rumble in the finishing run that set up his feud with 'Taker down the road? That or his work in the '02 Elimination Chamber.

I have to be honest, a lot of his big matches (vs. HHH @ Summerslam '02, the Taker WM matches, vs. Hogan, series with Kurt Angle) just don't really do anything for me, unlike most of his big matches pre-first-retirement. I can't put my finger quite on why, though. Maybe it's because those matches depend on finisher-mania and Michaels' goofy-looking facials over stuff that would make a match dramatic in JCP or early '90s WCW (blood, weapon shots, dudes selling limbs and fatigue more consistently). 

The thing that I liked the most about Michaels' comeback was actually his storyline involvement, which I would wager he had a huge say in. In an era where storylines tended to be unmemorable, he had that great set of transitions from feuding with Flair to feuding with Batista over retiring Flair to feuding with Jericho that I thought really told a strong narrative and gave me a sense of what sort of year HBK the character had dealing with a ton of drama all springing out of the Flair challenge. I went back and watched all that stuff a few months ago, and while the matches in isolation didn't age well for me, the matches and segments all together told a really fun, seamless story. 

• Like 1

Sunny should at least be smart enough to start cooking meth by now.

In all seriousness, I hope that none of the younger girls getting into the business now look at Tammy as someone whose current choices should be mirrored.  Not just (potentially) lying about cancer, but the really degrading and creepy shit she does now to make money out on the scene.

• Like 1

Random Question:

Who are the best and worst wrestlers with "Tiger" in their name? Offhand I can think of:

-Tiger Mask, Tiger Mask II, Tiger Mask III, Tiger Mask IV, Tiger Mask V

-Black Tiger I-VII

-Tiger Chung Lee

-Tiger Jeet Singh

-Tiger Ali Singh

-Extreme Tiger

-Tiger Kid/Tiger

-Tigers Mask

The sad thing about Tammy is that I'm pretty sure there is a smart woman buried in there somewhere (wasn't she going to medical school before she met Candido?).

But drug abuse, tragedy, bad relationships and losing her looks seem to have sent her totally over the edge. Even if she wanted to get away from wrestling and get her life back on track, I'm not sure she could.

Random Question:

Who are the best and worst wrestlers with "Tiger" in their name? Offhand I can think of:

-Tiger Mask, Tiger Mask II, Tiger Mask III, Tiger Mask IV, Tiger Mask V

-Black Tiger I-VII

-Tiger Chung Lee

-Tiger Jeet Singh

-Tiger Ali Singh

-Extreme Tiger

-Tiger Kid/Tiger

-Tigers Mask

How can you forget Tiger Jackson?

The biggest problem with Shawn's comeback is that he had no business whatsoever wrestling on television every week. Yes, Shawn had some great matches during his comeback but on a week to week basis on Raw he also had a lot more matches that were shitty or unwatchable.

Love the signature.  It's pretty hypnotizing.