DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Doesn't it stand to reason that the first of a gimmick match would generally be the best? The first of some stipulation usually means the feud has built organically to the point where an outlandish gimmick is viewed as the only possible way to settle a problem of this magnitude. When the first match is memorable and the stipulation gets over, random feuds and matches are forever shoehorned in to the gimmick to drum up interest, but the matches aren't as natural, nor is the cage/coffin/flaming ringside necessary. 

• Like 1

What about the first MITB?  It gets extra points for Kane's entrance alone.  Although Kennedy's at WM23 was actually pretty cool with him doing his intro at the top of the ramp and the flash bulbs going off as the camera panned around him.  That was around his peak in WWE was it?

There was that crazy Elimination Chamber at No Way Out 2007 I think, Taker threw someone off the top of a pod and chokeslammed Finlay from the ring onto the steel surroundings. I remember that match being crazy.

I am hoping with HHH pushing the tag division more we get a tag team elimination chamber and a tag team money in the bank match.

I feel like this years MitB was sort of a dry run for how a tag team MitB would work. Rhodes Scholars and Real Americans were in it and worked together, and if I remember right there was a section where the Shield came down followed by the Usos to stop them. Throw in the Wyatts and KOfi/random baby face that first tagged a week ago and it seems complete. 

There was that crazy Elimination Chamber at No Way Out 2007 I think, Taker threw someone off the top of a pod and chokeslammed Finlay from the ring onto the steel surroundings. I remember that match being crazy.

I am hoping with HHH pushing the tag division more we get a tag team elimination chamber and a tag team money in the bank match.

I'd love to see a Tag Team Elimination Chamber simply because I'd love to see Brodus Clay and Tensai squeezed together in one cell -- and getting out as the last team.

Juice Makes SugarThis is a sorta new wrestling website I love. One of the guys who writes for it is a professional sportswriter/editor who does stuff for SBNation and the like. These guys are huge rasslin' nerds. They just did Shawn Michaels week.I know DVDVR folks usually hate on Shawn Michaels but that dude has been in so many amazing and awesome matches. I put up the Cena "HE WON'T STAY DOWN" quote from above -- I can't think of a better match ever on Raw. That match is a perfect wrestling match. Cena's strength vs. Shawn's cunning. And he has SO MANY matches like that. Like everyone says -- the first HITC hasn't been topped yet. They reinvented cage matches. Think about that -- the cage match is the most classic of gimmick matches, and they reinvented it. And on top of it, that match introduced the world to Kane who became one of the most iconic wrestlers of all-time. Kane's staying power is pretty much zero if he doesn't walk out of the match crazy over by being the deciding factor in one of the handful of best matches of all-time.Also, there's all this stuff like Shawn/Diesel vs. 1-2-3 Kid/Razor from Action Zone. Rockers vs. Orient Express. Those are two of the best tag matches ever. Just crazy great. Both Shawn/UT matches are maybe the two best matches in Wrestlemania history. I also loved HHH/UT but that match doesn't have the impact without Shawn setting the table. Razor/Shawn in the ladder match still friggin' rules. There's all of these random Shawn vs. Owen or what have you stuff that's great.So I will absolutely buy that "anything involving Shawn is on the best of" list argument. It usually is.His DX personality stuff is really annoying (especially whenever they reunite) but Shawn rules.

I know I'm gonna be alone on this, but I think Shawn is the greatest of all-time.And as far as Cell matches go, Edge vs. 'Taker is underrated and holds a soft spot in my heart.

I used to lurk here before I could sign up, and I remember all the issues that people have with Michaels' work, and honestly, I totally see those arguments. I wonder if it's because I have bias toward him as a former five-year-old Rockers fan, or if I subconsciously buy into the WWE's hype machine, but man, it doesn't matter so much to me. I mean, his post-2002-comeback work typically doesn't do much for me, and the super-melodramatic stuff he likes to do is definitely awful (as is the nu-DX stuff). 

At the same time, he was the best thing about WWE TV matches for two or three years to me back in the '92-'94 WWF era, and his 1997 is still one of my favorite wrestler years ever taking into account promos, skits, and matches. I'm not saying it's objectively one of the best, but it definitely is one of my favorites. 

I don't want to rehash too much, but I guess Michaels is one of those guys with clear flaws that I am fully able to overlook for whatever reason. Probably in large part to nostalgia, to be honest. 

• Like 1

I've never seen the issues with that Hogan match. I mean, if it's 1986, it's like the best Hogan match ever. Were they supposed to go shoot-style? Michaels bumped like a pinball for him. Hogan was, of course, terribly broken down but still was twice Shawn's size so it wasn't that odd for him to be over-selling. Shawn oversold for EVERYONE.

Now, the promo the next night was bullshit but that's a more complex issue.

Unrelated: randomly just watched the Raw is Eddy Tribute. SO depressed.

So I will absolutely buy that "anything involving Shawn is on the best of" list argument. It usually is.His DX personality stuff is really annoying (especially whenever they reunite) but Shawn rules.

I think I would enjoy most of Shawn's matches more if Shawn were replaced by somebody else. Especially post-face-turn 90s Michaels and post-comeback 2000s Michaels. But I was a Bret Hart fan as a kid, so maybe my opinion is coloured by that.

That being said, Shawn Michaels superkicking civilians in backstage segments was good.

Doesn't it stand to reason that the first of a gimmick match would generally be the best? The first of some stipulation usually means the feud has built organically to the point where an outlandish gimmick is viewed as the only possible way to settle a problem of this magnitude. When the first match is memorable and the stipulation gets over, random feuds and matches are forever shoehorned in to the gimmick to drum up interest, but the matches aren't as natural, nor is the cage/coffin/flaming ringside necessary. 

The first Ultimate X match is definitely an exception to this, since it's pretty embarrassing to watch the belt fall to the mat over and over.

First Royal Rumble was definitely not the best Royal Rumble.

The first Ultimate X match is definitely an exception to this, since it's pretty embarrassing to watch the belt fall to the mat over and over.

First Royal Rumble was definitely not the best Royal Rumble.

The first Punjabi Prison match was the best Punjabi Prison match.

• Like 1

You are correct about Ultimate X and the Rumble. At the risk of moving the goal posts, I would counter by saying that both of those things and MitB were conceived and constructed as special attractions and not a gimmick that was necessary to conclude a major feud.

Also, Ultimate X shouldn't count, it's from TNA. You may as well have given an example from backwards land. :)