DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Trying to ascertain the better line:Zbysco and Anderson saying "HE'S JUST A MAN!" when Ricky Steamboat unveiled himself as Dustin's secret partner at that Clash or John Cena screaming "HE WON'T STAY DOWN!" when explaining why he was fighting outside the ring w/ Shawn Michaels.

Arn also had "OH GOD! NOOOOT RICKY STEAMBOAT!" One of my favorite WCW moments of all time.

God, Arn's "He's just a man, he's just a man" trying to calm down Larry even though Arn himself is clearly freaking the fuck out IS pro wrestling.

Then, of course, the match itself was 912 different kinds of awesome.

• Like 2

WWE put up a "top 10 Hell in a Cell matches" on their website. As follows:

10. DX vs. McMahons and Show

9. HBK vs. HHH (ummm, no)

8. Lesnar vs. Taker (way underrated)

7. Batista vs. HHH

6. Taker vs. Edge

5. Taker vs. Mankind

4. Armageddon six

3. Taker vs. HHH

2. Taker vs. HBK (should be #1)

1. Cactus Jack vs. HHH

Any discussion?

WWE put up a "top 10 Hell in a Cell matches" on their website. As follows:10. DX vs. McMahons and Show9. HBK vs. HHH (ummm, no)8. Lesnar vs. Taker (way underrated)7. Batista vs. HHH6. Taker vs. Edge5. Taker vs. Mankind4. Armageddon six3. Taker vs. HHH2. Taker vs. HBK (should be #1)1. Cactus Jack vs. HHHAny discussion?

Surprised that Taker/'kind isn't higher, with the fact it's on every WWE DVD ever manufactured, ever, even - and I believe this, it was published in a journal somewhere - as an easter egg on WWE theatrical and DTV films.
  • Like 1

What does it say that after 16 years, the first Hell in a Cell match is still the best?  I think the same case can be argued for the Money in the Bank matches as well.  That the first is the best.  Any other gimmick matches that fit that?

TLC?  Inferno? Buried Alive?

What does it say that after 16 years, the first Hell in a Cell match is still the best?  I think the same case can be argued for the Money in the Bank matches as well.  That the first is the best.  Any other gimmick matches that fit that?

TLC?  Inferno? Buried Alive?

Ladder Match?

Juice Makes Sugar

This is a sorta new wrestling website I love. One of the guys who writes for it is a professional sportswriter/editor who does stuff for SBNation and the like. These guys are huge rasslin' nerds. They just did Shawn Michaels week.

I know DVDVR folks usually hate on Shawn Michaels but that dude has been in so many amazing and awesome matches. I put up the Cena "HE WON'T STAY DOWN" quote from above -- I can't think of a better match ever on Raw. That match is a perfect wrestling match. Cena's strength vs. Shawn's cunning. And he has SO MANY matches like that. Like everyone says -- the first HITC hasn't been topped yet. They reinvented cage matches. Think about that -- the cage match is the most classic of gimmick matches, and they reinvented it. And on top of it, that match introduced the world to Kane who became one of the most iconic wrestlers of all-time. Kane's staying power is pretty much zero if he doesn't walk out of the match crazy over by being the deciding factor in one of the handful of best matches of all-time.Also, there's all this stuff like Shawn/Diesel vs. 1-2-3 Kid/Razor from Action Zone. Rockers vs. Orient Express. Those are two of the best tag matches ever. Just crazy great. Both Shawn/UT matches are maybe the two best matches in Wrestlemania history. I also loved HHH/UT but that match doesn't have the impact without Shawn setting the table. Razor/Shawn in the ladder match still friggin' rules. There's all of these random Shawn vs. Owen or what have you stuff that's great.

So I will absolutely buy that "anything involving Shawn is on the best of" list argument. It usually is.His DX personality stuff is really annoying (especially whenever they reunite) but Shawn rules.

I like Shawn Michaels a lot too but he's not perfect. His Ironman match with Bret Hart at Wrestlemania, in example, is...not very good. His match with Hogan with the ridiculous over-selling was also very unprofessional. Everyone knows about his past problems with drugs, politics, pouting, etc. As a worker though, yeah, he can certainly be great. Especially when working with his friends. I remember really liking his return Street Fight match with Triple H. Also the Elimination Chamber match that he won, which I have not seen in a long time (maybe since it first aired), I remember being good. HBK also had a good match in the "Gold Rush" Tournament on RAW with Shelton Benjamin that I recall vaguely. I think there was a good Mysterio match as well.

The older I get the worse my memory becomes but yeah, not just his old stuff is good. Some of his newer stuff is a lot of fun too. "I kicked Stan!"