DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

He got a great match out of Disco Inferno.

Disco was actually really awesome as a worker, I thought. Could work comedy, could go with most of the other guys on the roster, was a really good tag guy with Alex Wright. 

I know this ventures into fantasy booking territory, and he may be just trolling the IWC, buy I'm thinking about Jim Ross and a possible new promotion or going to TNA.

I can't think of anyone else (who's a free agent) who brings the kind of credibility and cachet to such a situation as JR. He seems universally beloved by fans.

Aside from having a ton of quality matches, Malenko is on a really short list of wrestlers who didn't have a run that I remember as lackluster or bad. Sure, sometimes he was basically a jobber towards the end, but he was still having decent matches. There are wrestlers in the same general category as Malenko in terms of overall quality that had way lower lows. Jericho is a prime example.

I know this ventures into fantasy booking territory, and he may be just trolling the IWC, buy I'm thinking about Jim Ross and a possible new promotion or going to TNA.I can't think of anyone else (who's a free agent) who brings the kind of credibility and cachet to such a situation as JR. He seems universally beloved by fans.

I can't imagine ANYONE convincing themselves that they can be the girl that changes the terrible boyfriend that is TNA at this point, or feeling like it's worth the effort to try.

• Like 2

I liked that little time period where Arn Anderson got wins over Flair and Hogan. It was about 10 years too late, but still.

Didn't he beat Hogan twice? I felt like he beat Hogan by DQ one week and then the women's shoe to the face the next week. Or maybe I'm thinking that Hogan took the women's shoe to the eye in consecutive weeks and lost to Arn and Flair.

I loved Flair vs Arn at Fall Brawl.  Had no idea people thought it was bad.

Same here. Great match. Didn't know folks didn't like it, or is that an anti-Scott Keith thing?

As an admitted JCP mark who grew up struggling to stay awake to watch NWA at 11pm every Sat back in 1985, I loved the match. I was a huge Horseman fan as a kid but always wondered what would happen if Flair took on Tully or Flair and Arn wrestled. Shame we never got Tully vs. Arn in some capacity.

Thanks Greggulator for the awesome response.

The logic that a worker isn't a good one until they've had a good match with bad ones isn't that far a stretch from people basing their opinion of Flair on him carrying a broomstick, or Steamboat's last run in the WWF deliberately having good/lengthy matches with guys like the Barbarian as a fuck you to Vince, or some weird post modern take on Undertaker's run against monster after monster. Or the infamous Tom Magee match.

Re-watch the Nitros from late 98, from when he had the mini feud with Hennig, to the Bret matches. They were awful. Bret says as much in his book, which admittedly, may come back to him being bitter about Malenko injuring him. He was absolutely over.

From a body of work perspective, it doesn't hold up to his contemporaries at all. Give yourself a top 10 Dean matches, and the depth of it falls away pretty quickly.

I liked that little time period where Arn Anderson got wins over Flair and Hogan. It was about 10 years too late, but still.

Didn't he beat Hogan twice? I felt like he beat Hogan by DQ one week and then the women's shoe to the face the next week. Or maybe I'm thinking that Hogan took the women's shoe to the eye in consecutive weeks and lost to Arn and Flair.
He beat Hogan two weeks in a row, I believe.

From the newest Observer (some of this is old, but still funny):

A leaked memo from a few years ago stated a few things. Vince has said that nobody going forward can use the phrase “Granddaddy of them all” for WrestleMania. He feels it makes WrestleMania feel old and dated. Also, nobody is allowed to use the phrase “choke” for a submission move. Undertaker’s Hell’s Gate has also been named the “Triangle Submission hold” even though it’s a gogoplata, which is not a triangle although it looks sort of similar. Kevin Dunn stated announcers can no longer use the phrase “title changes hands.” Vince has banned the use of terms “Five star match” and “Match of the Year.” It’s funny, because when Arn Anderson does agent reports, he loves to use the “five star match” phrase for a match that tears down the house. As part of the memo banning those terms he also wanted all announcers to “stop reading the dirt sheets” with the idea it influences what they say. Funny, when they book for inside fans. Stephanie McMahon sent a memo for announcers to never use the phrase “the referee didn’t see it” when a heel is doing something behind the referees back. She wrote that it makes it seem like the announcers are treating the fans like they are in grade school. She would prefer “the referee’s vision was impaired” or “the referee’s vision was blocked.” Also, never use the word “hatred” or “hate” when describing a feud. Also, the announcers should never say a talent doesn’t care about winning a match. Also, when somebody is bleeding, never make references to it or use the word blood.

Kevin Dunn stated announcers can no longer use the phrase “title changes hands.”

What, pray tell, is wrong with a title changing hands?  I get the other ones, even though I think they're pretty stupid, but this one completely eludes me.

Official shirt of the 2013 TNA Death March Tour.

http://shoptna.com/dixieland-t-shirt.aspx

Come for the overpriced cotton - stay for the indignant commentary.

Christopher Heffelfinger · Top Commenter

Quit killing your company with your own retardation, Dixie! Nobody wants to see you period, much less buy your damn T-Shirt. Get away from the cameras and go beg mommy and daddy for more money.... Oh WAIT!!!! Daddy RESIGNED because of how badly he fucked up giving you a blank check to be a moron, DIDN'T HE!?!?!?! Congratulations bitch, you've managed to take a good, potentially GREAT, thing and kill it with your stupidity. Next time buy a brothel in Nevada, it'd be a more suitable career path.
Reply · 13 · Like · Follow Post · 12 hours ago

Well, I'd certainly hope not.

From the newest Observer (some of this is old, but still funny):

A leaked memo from a few years ago stated a few things. Vince has said that nobody going forward can use the phrase “Granddaddy of them all” for WrestleMania. He feels it makes WrestleMania feel old and dated. Also, nobody is allowed to use the phrase “choke” for a submission move. Undertaker’s Hell’s Gate has also been named the “Triangle Submission hold” even though it’s a gogoplata, which is not a triangle although it looks sort of similar. Kevin Dunn stated announcers can no longer use the phrase “title changes hands.” Vince has banned the use of terms “Five star match” and “Match of the Year.” It’s funny, because when Arn Anderson does agent reports, he loves to use the “five star match” phrase for a match that tears down the house. As part of the memo banning those terms he also wanted all announcers to “stop reading the dirt sheets” with the idea it influences what they say. Funny, when they book for inside fans. Stephanie McMahon sent a memo for announcers to never use the phrase “the referee didn’t see it” when a heel is doing something behind the referees back. She wrote that it makes it seem like the announcers are treating the fans like they are in grade school. She would prefer “the referee’s vision was impaired” or “the referee’s vision was blocked.” Also, never use the word “hatred” or “hate” when describing a feud. Also, the announcers should never say a talent doesn’t care about winning a match. Also, when somebody is bleeding, never make references to it or use the word blood.

I read this news bit this morning on my phone and it took a lot not to crack up on the bus while reading it. The WWE has a way of making things way too friggin complicated and this memo if for real (apparently it was posted on reddit a couple days ago but is since deleted) is proof of that.

The referee thing sounds particularly dumb. So in all other sports when a referee blows a call, you'd never hear "the referee's vision was impaired" (well maybe in the NFL since they're blind anyway).

Kevin Dunn stated announcers can no longer use the phrase “title changes hands.”

What, pray tell, is wrong with a title changing hands?  I get the other ones, even though I think they're pretty stupid, but this one completely eludes me.

"The Championship Opportunity has been successfully completed!"

• Like 5

That's about as apt an analogy for TNA as I've ever read.

Seriously, though, that's four weeks of tv. The end has to be near.

They may have just found a new, cheaper place to run. Maybe they got back into the Impact Zone.

Besides, last I heard, Dixie was still throwing heaps of cash at Hogan to stay. How bad can it be?

"The Championship Opportunity has been successfully completed!"

The amorous congress that just took place between those two warriors will not soon be forgotten by my eyes!

• Like 4

i'd imagine it's because they're not supposed to say "title", it is a "championship"