DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Doesn't WWE have a standing offer to pay for any ex-employee to go to rehab at any time, except for Sunny?

They do. But the idea that a TNA guy needs help and WWE (the same company they've been vilifying for years) are going to step in and take care of it makes TNA look so bush league. Well, more so.

• Like 1

JR wants Shelton Benjamin, the Briscoes, and MVP. Shane-O wants TMDK, Davey Richards, and John Morrison. Billionaire Ted wants Rob Gronkowski.

SOLD!

I'd be all for Gronk as World Champ.

He could hit people with his loaded forearm.

• Like 1

Does anyone have these discs from Universal Wrestling Archives?

Furthermore has anyone ever had problems with the discs themselves? Pixelation, freezing, chapter skipping, etc? I've owned two copies of Volume 2 and both have had problems. Are they just cheaply made discs or does my DVD player just hate them for some reason or what? Volume 1 froze up too if I recall correctly. Master discs mind you, not copies. Anyone else own them and experienced similar problems or heard this complaint before?

i had gotten vol.1 from Netflix a few months back and it was pretty much unwatchable. it would freeze every 10-15 seconds and randomly skip ahead a couple of minutes. disc seemed in damn good condition, no scratches or anything. i promptly sent it back and took vol2 off the que.

Does anyone have these discs from Universal Wrestling Archives?Furthermore has anyone ever had problems with the discs themselves? Pixelation, freezing, chapter skipping, etc? I've owned two copies of Volume 2 and both have had problems. Are they just cheaply made discs or does my DVD player just hate them for some reason or what? Volume 1 froze up too if I recall correctly. Master discs mind you, not copies. Anyone else own them and experienced similar problems or heard this complaint before?

I got them way back in the day.  They always played fine except in my piece of shit DVD player that was dying anyway.  The set DID feel cheaply made though, like it was one step above tape trading.

I honestly can't think of a good singles match he had which didn't involve an above average worker (Scott Taylor, Eddy).

The most common matches you come up with as best (Benoit Road Wild, RAW 10 man tag, Spring Stampede 99 tag) all involve other great workers too. His mini push at the end of 98 produced some horrible matches with great workers and great build up and pretty ordinary selling on his behalf too.

dDean was my man from when he came up to his WCW days. I think he's super underrated when it comes to introducing cruiser wrestling to the US. This is because he wrestled like Tully Blanchard or those dudes but against the aerialists. The only aerial move he did was the nasty stomach buster from the top rope, and that doesn't really count. He wrestled a style people who grew up on wrestling -- especially southern wrestling -- were used to seeing. I think a lot of that stuff would have been cast as a total novelty act if it wasn't for him making it look like aerial moves could beat a really high-end technical master. I don't think we have Eddie Guerrero: WWE Champion if it wasn't for his stuff with Dean. Also, I know it's a mark mag, but Dean was PWI's #1 in their Top 500 ranking at one point. Think about that -- the ultimate mark mag listing that dude as the best wrestler in the world. He was over.Also, how many bad wrestlers did Deano actually face? WCW was absolutely loaded with dudes during his run. He was at the end of his career in his WWE heyday but even then he was in a lot of good matches. He had a LOT of time in that awesome Raw 10 man and the match against Scotty Taylor was so friggin' great, too.

I know everyone hates on what the Eddie/Dean in ECW stuff spawned but at the time it was mindblowing and everyone who was in some form of the IWC called those matches the new Steamboat/Flair. They might not last the test of time but in an era of when we were suffering through Isaac Yankem or Hulk Hogan's crapfest in WCW, those matches were amazing and really changed the game.

Dean ruled.

• Like 2

He was apart of the greatest era in junior style wrestling ever and he stood out. He carved out his place among legendary competition and he did it with no mask/cool costume and no crazy dives or flips. To me that says more about how good he was than whether he carried bad workers to matches - which I can see being important if you want to further define how great he was. 

I think it says alot that Dean was easily the most over cruiser on the roster.  People forget that Rey went through a period of people not giving a shit about him for a while.  Dean always got huge pops, and was able to translate that into a run against a few heavyweights like Jarrett.

• Like 1

If anything, I think Dean Malenko is underrated.

He's never mentioned a lot in "Best of..." or "Favorite..." discussions. He should be, though!

Well I don't know. I mean where do people think Dean Malenko is rated when people say over or under rated?

The list of juniors that were better is shorter than the list of wrestlers who were worse. Eddie, Rey, Liger. Benoit. You could argue Ultimo and Sasuke if you were so inclined. Jericho wasn't as good as Malenko during the feud but his overall body of work is better at this point. You could probably add some other lucha and puro guys that he didn't compete with or who peaked later.

So I'd say Malenko is probably a Top 15-20 Junior. Which if you think about it is pretty damn awesome.

• Like 1