DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Was at Wal-Mart yesterday and picked up last year's Hell in a Cell PPV for $5. I had an older guy (looked to be in his 50's) check the price just to make sure, and apparently it came from a $5 bin in the front of the store (I did a cursory look in the bin for more wrestling DVDs later, and only saw the "Top Superstars of the 90's").

Got to talking about wrestling a little bit with him, and he named a couple guys while sounding like he was trying to remember names he may have heard from his son, until I mentioned noticing the Daniel Bryan $5 Superstar Series DVD, which lead to him suddenly breaking out into a "YES" chant, arms extended and all. It was awesome.

• Like 5

I don't get why people are so hung up on Christian. Nor do I get the love for ADR. He can't possibly be doing THAT much business in Mexico.

They're both better at laying out matches than the majority of the roster. Del Rio is probably the best heel wrestler in the company because his offense looks credible but he shows enough ass to keep people from cheering him. He knows how to let wrestlers beneath him on the totem pole get in a little offense without making himself too weak. He also makes things really easy for faces to garner sympathy with the way he works them over. The Ziggler and Christian matches are good examples. He's also one of the few gameplan wrestlers on the roster, and by executing his matches with what appears to be a legit agenda, Del Rio creates a more detailed continuity to his matches.Christian is a great underdog wrestler who really excels in cat-n-mouse matches, where he attempts to outwit stronger wrestlers. He's also believable as "survivor" who could possibly pull out an upset win through some veteran tactics. It's difficult to be an underdog, while still looking credible with your successes, and he can pull that off. He's also really good at selling body parts to give himself an out for his losses. More faces that are in jobber mode could learn from that.
  • Like 14

While Khali is never going to put on as good a match as Christian, he still seems like a more credible title challenger, and the matchup is more fresh. ADR already decisively squashed the shit out of Christian in their feud, and nobody believes Christian would beat ADR for the title. I'm not all that interested in seeing a match I've seen a million times where the outcome isn't in question. The most interesting thing Christian has done in his most recent tenure is come out to the ring and nod. Unlike more interesting permanently injured workers like Rey and Henry, I never notice when he's gone and never care when he returns.

Khali is essentially a jobber now, doing comedy with Hornswoggle and Santino. And he's not particularly over even within that setting. He hasn't been portrayed as a threat for the world title in years. I'm pretty sure, given the choice, most people would rather see Christian get another shot. It's a house show anyway, so it's not like anyone is a credible threat to the world title.

The only thing Khali has over Christian is height (And Christian's already 6'1"). He isn't remotely over and is almost entirely immobile. I don't see what makes him a more credible challenger.

I don't get why people are so hung up on Christian. Nor do I get the love for ADR. He can't possibly be doing THAT much business in Mexico.

They're both better at laying out matches than the majority of the roster. Del Rio is probably the best heel wrestler in the company because his offense looks credible but he shows enough ass to keep people from cheering him. He knows how to let wrestlers beneath him on the totem pole get in a little offense without making himself too weak. He also makes things really easy for faces to garner sympathy with the way he works them over. The Ziggler and Christian matches are good examples. He's also one of the few gameplan wrestlers on the roster, and by executing his matches with what appears to be a legit agenda, Del Rio creates a more detailed continuity to his matches.Christian is a great underdog wrestler who really excels in cat-n-mouse matches, where he attempts to outwit stronger wrestlers. He's also believable as "survivor" who could possibly pull out an upset win through some veteran tactics. It's difficult to be an underdog, while still looking credible with your successes, and he can pull that off. He's also really good at selling body parts to give himself an out for his losses. More faces that are in jobber mode could learn from that.
So what's the point when no gives a shit about you? People for a few years now have been proclaiming that ADR is 'great worker' but I don't see how when he can't sustain any interest.. And he is one of the few guys on the roster who didn't waste time jobbing to much, much less nteresting people. Then again, my biggest gripe with WWE tv is how they don't seem to give a shit that more than 80% of their roster can't move a crowd even if they started shooting rounds off before their matches.
  • Like 1

Del Rio may be a great wrestler, but he strikes me as pretty much charisma-free. He's gotten a pretty consistent upper-midcard push from the WWE for a long while now when he should be wrestling Ziggler on the PPV preshow. Maybe he'd do better with a good manager to do the serious talking for him while he does the ass-kicking in the ring and backs up the weasel manager. 

Del Rio is one of my favorite in-ring guys to watch, but I do agree there is nothing to pair with it.  From bell to bell, he's excellent, and before and the bell he's dull as dishwater.

Christian, in the meantime, is pure liquid awesome.

• Like 1

So what's the point when no gives a shit about you? People for a few years now have been proclaiming that ADR is 'great worker' but I don't see how when he can't sustain any interest.. And he is one of the few guys on the roster who didn't waste time jobbing to much, much less nteresting people. Then again, my biggest gripe with WWE tv is how they don't seem to give a shit that more than 80% of their roster can't move a crowd even if they started shooting rounds off before their matches.
He sustains my interest. I'm somebody. Character/story wise, I think he cuts a good promo, but he's often in a position where he has nothing to do outside of cutting variations of the same promo. He's a better wrestler than most of the roster but he's rarely spoken about with reverance by people higher up the food chain. Triple H doesn't care about having Del Rio on his side. CM Punk doesn't care about beating him for the title. The belt he holds has no real perceived value, so no one really has a reason to go after him, unless the writers give him a good story. And he doean't have one. That's why he's getting Khali - because who cares?I watch WWE differently. I don't watch whole episodes and get filled in on stories from here or vid packages on PPVS. So my stake in a match is different than people who actually go through the arduous task of watching 8 hours of WWE a week. I'm not overexposed to certain guys, or trained to not give a shit about people yet, because I only watch a handful of matches a month. But Del Rio is fucking good in the ring, because of what I outlined and that's all that matters to me. Whether or not the crowd'a care is irrelevant.
  • Like 4