DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

With Cena hurt, Taker old/busted/semi-retired & Brock on a part-time schedule (if that) how are they planning on selling Wrestlemania in 2014? They expect people to pay $75 for Daniel Bryan & C.M. Punk? I just feel like WWE doesn't have any stars. They don't have anyone that I would pay money to watch. Being good at your craft of wrestling is all well & good but you need to draw me into the show & make me suspend disbelief.

Cena's coming back at the end of the month (which isn't to say he won't get injured again between now and Mania), I can pretty much guarantee Taker's going to work Mania even if that's his only match the entire year, and Lesnar's still under contract for a while yet.  You do, however, make a valid point in regard to WWE making new stars.

Last year 'Taker wrestled Punk. Who could 'Taker wrestle this year? I assume he'll be there too, get him to 25-0 is probably the goal... Just looking at the roster, I'm not seeing anyone credible for 'Taker or for the main event. I think Cena Vs. 'Taker is the biggest money match they probably have. But what about the rest of the card? They just feel thin. They have talent, for sure. Just no one that really screams "I need to see this guy."

I don't think they're relying too much on their current crop when they have Jericho, Van Dam, Batista, Hogan, Sting, Goldberg, Lesnar, Rock, Austin all being sent out feelers for their biggest show ever. I'm sure they have a spine of what the WM30 card looks like already.

But you're right on the stars thing, I won't feel obligated to watch the company post WM30 honestly.

I feel really good about the Performance Center to be honest. I feel really good about NXT and I feel really good about where things are going in the next few years when it comes to new talent. I think things are going to look pretty good in general in three years. 

I feel really good about the Performance Center to be honest. I feel really good about NXT and I feel really good about where things are going in the next few years when it comes to new talent. I think things are going to look pretty good in general in three years. 

Especially if they make all our dreams come true and Titus O'Neill and Darren Young become joint WWE Champion and go around foiling the Wyatts' attempts to kidnap poor Kofi Kingston and have their way with him.

Full content listing for the "History of WWE" DVD out next month

Disc 1

Documentary

Beginnings

Bruno Sammartino

The Northeast

Stars of the 70s

Titan Takeover

Hulkamania

First WrestleMania

Saturday Night's Main Event

WrestleMania III

PPV Expansion

Steroid Trial

New Generation

Monday Night RAW

Monday Night War

Montreal

Attitude Era

Tragedy in Kansas City

Smackdown

Expansion

Brand Extension

WrestleMania Stadiums

Hall of Fame

WWE Studios

Securing the Future

50 Years

Disc 2

WWE Championship Match

Bruno Sammartino vs Billy Graham

Baltimore,MD * April 30, 1977

WWE Championship Match

Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant

WrestleMania III * March 29, 1987

Royal Rumble Match

Royal Rumble * January 24, 1988

First Episode of Raw

Koko B.Ware vs Yokozuna

RAW * January 11, 1993

King of the Ring Finals

Jake Roberts vs Steve Austin

King of the Ring * June 23, 1996

Disc 3

WWE Championship Match

Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels

Survivor Series * November 9, 1997

Tyson and Austin!

RAW * January 19, 1998

WWE Championship Match

Triple H vs The Rock

Smackdown * August 26, 1999

Mr. McMahon Announces the Purchase of WCW

RAW * March 26, 2001

The Rock vs Hollywood Hogan

WrestleMania X8 * March 17, 2002

Battle of the Billionaires - Hair vs Hair Match

Bobby Lashley vs Umaga

WrestleMania 23 * April 1, 2007

Six Man Tag Team Match

John Cena, Batista, & Rey Mysterio vs Chris Jericho, Big Show, & Randy Orton

Tribute to the Troops * December 20, 2008

CM Punk Speaks his Mind

RAW * June 27, 2011

#1 Contenders Match for the WWE Championship

John Cena vs CM Punk

RAW * February 25, 2013

Blu-Ray Extras

Reporting the News

Jimmy Valiant on Vince Sr.

Bankruptcy

Titan Sports

Promo Man

WWE Universe

Floyd Mayweather vs The Big Show

WrestleMania 24 * March 30, 2008

The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels

WrestleMania 25 * April 5, 2009

I had no clue that Goldberg had blu-ray out!*

Bill Goldberg vs. Hugh Morrus

Nitro - September 22, 1997

Bill Goldberg vs. The Barbarian
Nitro - September 29, 1997

Bill Goldberg vs. Steve "Mongo" McMichael
Starrcade - December 28, 1997

United States Championship Match
Goldberg vs. Raven
Nitro - April 20, 1998

Goldberg vs. Scott Hall
Nitro - July 6, 1998

WCW World Heavyweight Championship Match
Goldberg vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Nitro - July 6, 1998

Goldberg vs. Curt Hennig
Bash at the Beach - July 12, 1998

Goldberg vs. Sting
Nitro - September 14, 1998

Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page
Halloween Havoc - October 25, 1998

Goldberg vs. The Giant
Nitro - November 23, 1998

No Disqualification Match for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash
Starrcade - December 27, 1998

Goldberg vs. Ric Flair
Nitro - March 8, 1999

Fatal 4 Way Match for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Goldberg vs. Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair vs. Diamond Dallas Page
Nitro - April 5, 1999

Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash
Spring Stampede - April 11, 1999

Goldberg vs. Diamond Dallas Page
Fall Brawl - September 12, 1999

United States Championship Match
Goldberg vs. Sid
Halloween Havoc - October 24, 1999

Goldberg vs. Sting
Halloween Havoc - October 24, 1999

"I Quit" Match
Goldberg vs. Sid
Mayhem - November 21, 1999

No Disqualification Match
Goldberg vs. Scott Steiner
Fall Brawl - September 17, 2000

2-on-1 Handicap Match
Goldberg vs. Kronik
Halloween Havoc - October 29, 2000

No Disqualification Match
Goldberg & Dewayne Bruce vs. Lex Luger & Buff Bagwell
Sin - January 14, 2001

Goldberg vs. The Rock
Backlash - April 27, 2003

Steel Cage Match
Goldberg vs. Christian
RAW - May 12, 2003

Goldberg vs. Chris Jericho
Badd Blood - June 15, 2003

Elimination Chamber Match for the World Heavyweight Championship
Goldberg vs. Triple H vs. Randy Orton vs.Shawn Michaels vs. Kevin Nash vs. Chris Jericho
SummerSlam - August 24, 2003

World Heavyweight Championship Match
Goldberg vs. Triple H
Unforgiven - September 21, 2003

Goldberg vs. Mark Henry
RAW - October 6, 2003

Goldberg vs. Batista
RAW - November 10, 2003

Goldberg vs. Triple H
Survivor Series - November 16, 2003

Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar
WrestleMania XX - March 14, 2004

Blu-ray Special Features
Battle Royal for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Goldberg vs. nWo Wolfpack (Kevin Nash, Sting, Konnan & Lex Luger) vs. nWo Hollywood (Hollywood Hogan, Giant, Scott Hall & Scott Norton)
Road Wild - August 8, 1998

Goldberg vs. Bam Bam Bigelow
SuperBrawl IX - February 21, 1999

Goldberg vs. Sting
Nitro - November 8, 1999

No Disqualification Match for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Goldberg vs. Bret Hart
Starrcade - December 19, 1999

Goldberg vs. Shawn Michaels

RAW - October 20, 2003

That will be a Black Friday pick-up, for sure.

*Does not actually watch any current WWE programming

Good deal.

Now I can watch Goldberg destroy people AND own yet another copy of Mick Foley getting thrown off the cell!

That match is like Anchor Bay and the original 'Evil Dead' - there's a new SPECIAL EDITION dvd release of it every 3-5 years.

Is RVD's contract (and Jericho's I guess) the first step into getting "seasons" going in WWE?  There would need to be some kind of overlap so everyone gets a WM payday, but it'd be nice to let some of the guys recuperate for a couple of months.  Hell, they've got a large enough roster that some people disappear for months at a time from TV anyway

If they need to do that, wouldn't it be best to go further and just make Summerslam and Survivor Series bigger, then focus them as equivalents to Wrestlemania? That way, you don't need any overlap- just put the "season" level names [the more aging/breaking down veterans on the downswing, with the super-over or rising stars being year round]  into a January-April shift, a May-August shift, and a September-December shift [giving each one a "big" event per year.]

They've already been positioning SummerSlam as second only to Wrestlemania for the past few years, maybe since '05-ish, and really ramped it up this year.  If only they hadn't forgotten about Survivor Series for so long, they could move it to October and position it as the counter-'Mania.  Make it a MitB/Gut check/King of The Ring mash-up event, culminating in a new person joining the roster from NXT, or transitioning away from a tag team, or breaking out of the pack.

You could do a couple of traditional 5 on 5 Survivor matches, then the survivors battle it out in the main event to become the sole survivor with a guaranteed contract for a title shot or whatever, and kill the MitB briefcase.

I get a Wyatts vs. Kane/Taker vibe for Mania. But, if they're putting out feelers for those guys, there's no way that goes on the card. Maybe Survivor Series.

Why would Taker work Survivor Series other than to suit your fantasy booking scenario?

That's a pretty shitty match selection. Seems kinda sparse.

I doubt they could come up with a match selection that covers the entire history of the company that would satisfy anyone. I'm thinking/hoping they will put a lot into the documentary.

I have a confession: I don't see what the deal is with Chris Hero/Kassius Ohno. He's not impressive ringwork wise, and I don't see anything in his personality that says "dollar signs." Someone help me...

If you ever talk to anyone who's trained or done a camp with him, that guy knows what the fuck he's doing and knows how to pass it on.

I can testify to this.  When I was breaking in to the biz, Hero helped me out a ton.  He had gone to a couple Dory Funk camps shortly before that, and was all about getting in the ring and working on the drills and chain wrestling stuff he picked up there.  I get why everyone might not like Chris' work, but he is an excellent trainer. 

Is RVD's contract (and Jericho's I guess) the first step into getting "seasons" going in WWE?  There would need to be some kind of overlap so everyone gets a WM payday, but it'd be nice to let some of the guys recuperate for a couple of months.  Hell, they've got a large enough roster that some people disappear for months at a time from TV anyway

You get out of here with that logic! There is no room for that in WWE!

Now, if you'll excuse us - there's a wrestler backstage who is too confident in their abilities that needs to be taken down a peg.

I've said for years, that if WWE was really serious about the health of the boys, they would tour in buses like the top Japanese promotions. 

I get a Wyatts vs. Kane/Taker vibe for Mania. But, if they're putting out feelers for those guys, there's no way that goes on the card. Maybe Survivor Series.

Why would Taker work Survivor Series other than to suit your fantasy booking scenario?

Shit, man, I'll call him up and ask. Jesus Christ, that was a totally reasonable response.

• Like 1

That's a pretty shitty match selection. Seems kinda sparse.

I doubt they could come up with a match selection that covers the entire history of the company that would satisfy anyone. I'm thinking/hoping they will put a lot into the documentary.

They definitely couldn't, but two matches pre-1988 is pretty sad. Not asking for a lot, but 1 or 2 more from that time would be nice. I know footage pre-1980 is spotty at best, but their insistence that Superstar Graham was the only worthwhile thing about the 70s is annoying, as awesome as he was.

Honestly, it's not really the selection themselves, it just seems like a pretty small list. Thirteen matches to cover the "History of the WWE"?

Shit, man, I'll call him up and ask. Jesus Christ, that was a totally reasonable response.
I'm just saying - you're being realistic about the Wyatts not making WM due to the part-timers being on the show, why not be realistic about the fact that Taker only works during WrestleMania season?
  • Like 1

IIRC Taker was supposed to work Summerslam this year but he got hurt in his last match.

I hadn't heard this - any idea what the rumored program was?Getting himself injured after working 3 or 4 matches this year is probably a good argument that they need to keep his schedule as light as it is.