DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Has there ever really been a top line promotion built around a tag team?

Maybe the Dudleys for a brief time in 99, or the Impact Players, but really can't think of many others.

The Road Warriors in 1984-1985 were probably THE main attraction in the AWA (Slaughter and Martel would be the only other people close.) 

Early 1984 in Mid-South was pretty much built around The Midnight Express with the TA/II feud transitioning into the R&Rs and the Watts/Stagger Lee matches which ended up being one of the bigger house show draws in the company's history.

I thought of something interesting: WWE are going to UAE this week and Darren Young, per Twitter, isn't going. It could be down to how the roster is divided up, or it might have to do with homosexuality being strictly prohibited (you'll usually get years in jail for that over there.) I assume there are certain countries Young won't be allowed to go to in the future, too.

I don't want to get into whether or not WWE should be running in these countries, but I'm pretty sure their continued international expansion gurantees more situations like this in the future. It doesn't really matter with Young since no one is paying tickets to see the guy, but if sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if a fairly big star ever comes out.

Surely homosexuals aren't banned from the UAE, just homosexual acts?

Not sure about UAE but WWE used to tour Kuwait, a place which, no kidding, has devised a "gay test" that people must pass to be allowed in.

But, yeah, in a lot of these countries even being openly gay is a crime.

So, I just read that Rob Van Dam has left WWE again already? Is it a work or something? I really don't know what's going on. It's on the WWE Facebook page, linked to an article that is kayfabe but RVD mentioned it on Twitter too (not that that makes it credible or anything). Has Meltzer said anything, does anyone know?

Found this:

Rob Van Dam will be off television for a few months after this week as his current contract allows him to work three months at a time and then take a break for as long as he wants according to PWInsider.com.WWE.COM is also running a story saying that RVD could be having “second thoughts” about his return, after failing to win the title and missing out on the Money In The Bank briefcase and would be taking some time off.When Van Dam returns, he will be on screens for another 90 days, most likely now returning for the Royal Rumble and in time to collect a WrestleMania paycheck.RVD made his return at the Money In The Bank pay-per-view after wrapping up his TNA duties.

I personally am greatly enjoying the current product, in large part because it feels totally different then any past period of the WWE. While I did not watch it live, two of my favorite periods of wrestling are early-mid 1992 WCW and early-mid 1994 WCW. My favorite WWE period is 1992-1994, with Bret rising to the top of the card and becoming the biggest star in the company. Guys like Punk and Bryan are modern day versions of Bret and Shawn, and The Shield are the greatest WCW tag team ever. Dolph is sort of a Stunning Steve Austin/Brian Pillman hybrid. The Rhodes Family are the Rhodes Family, with Cody looking like he is finally putting it all together now. Big Show is slowly winning me over in this angle, and it would have worked that much more if he did not have a heel turn for the exact same reason last summer. Also, I watch MNF and Raw every week. In 2013, the magic of DVR should allow you to do both.

So, I just read that Rob Van Dam has left WWE again already? Is it a work or something? I really don't know what's going on. It's on the WWE Facebook page, linked to an article that is kayfabe but RVD mentioned it on Twitter too (not that that makes it credible or anything). Has Meltzer said anything, does anyone know?

Found this:

Rob Van Dam will be off television for a few months after this week as his current contract allows him to work three months at a time and then take a break for as long as he wants according to PWInsider.com.WWE.COM is also running a story saying that RVD could be having “second thoughts” about his return, after failing to win the title and missing out on the Money In The Bank briefcase and would be taking some time off.When Van Dam returns, he will be on screens for another 90 days, most likely now returning for the Royal Rumble and in time to collect a WrestleMania paycheck.RVD made his return at the Money In The Bank pay-per-view after wrapping up his TNA duties.

His contract was for 3 months. He decided not to renew.

Is RVD's contract (and Jericho's I guess) the first step into getting "seasons" going in WWE?  There would need to be some kind of overlap so everyone gets a WM payday, but it'd be nice to let some of the guys recuperate for a couple of months.  Hell, they've got a large enough roster that some people disappear for months at a time from TV anyway

I have a confession: I don't see what the deal is with Chris Hero/Kassius Ohno. He's not impressive ringwork wise, and I don't see anything in his personality that says "dollar signs." Someone help me...

If you ever talk to anyone who's trained or done a camp with him, that guy knows what the fuck he's doing and knows how to pass it on.

• Like 1

I don't think UAE is that strict about foreigners, they have compounds for foreign workers where all kinds of debauchery takes place at the weekend from what I've heard.

Openly gay... or any form of PDA is a crime, but in night clubs and such it's a lot more tolerable. Mainly because of the large numbers of expats that go there.I've been to Abu Dhabi several times and once went clubbing and end up at a Saudi party at my hotel. No women allowed. I saw guys in traditional Saudi garb dance a tad bit too intimate with each other. Weird shit.

I saw guys in traditional Saudi garb dance a tad bit too intimate with each other. Weird shit.

Just got an idea for my next erotic novel...

Is it about two gay indy wrestlers?  If so, might I suggest "Brokewrestler Mountain" for a title?

Factually accurate and pop culturally relevant at the same time.

I'll show myself out.  But I'm doing seven shows this week, so I'll be here all week.

• Like 1

Is RVD's contract (and Jericho's I guess) the first step into getting "seasons" going in WWE?  There would need to be some kind of overlap so everyone gets a WM payday, but it'd be nice to let some of the guys recuperate for a couple of months.  Hell, they've got a large enough roster that some people disappear for months at a time from TV anyway

You get out of here with that logic! There is no room for that in WWE!

Now, if you'll excuse us - there's a wrestler backstage who is too confident in their abilities that needs to be taken down a peg.