DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I have all the respect in the world for Jim Cornette and SMW was one of my all time favorite promotions, but he has totally lost it. Like, he is a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen. 

Really for all the good things he has done, any time he has been a booker the results have been less than stellar. Likewise as a promoter. He seems like one of those guys who has a great mind for a lot of things, but needs to be on a committee or employed as a consultant - not the final guy making the calls.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wrestling-with-my-remote-superclash-85/#.UlQICRCwXddI review Superclash '85 - no real play by play - more of a stream of conscious musing while watching the AWA, NWA, WCCW, All Japan and Luchadores try and battle Vince McMahon's National onslaught!!!Some questions arise throughout if anyone in the peanut gallery can offer some answers....

I have all the respect in the world for Jim Cornette and SMW was one of my all time favorite promotions, but he has totally lost it. Like, he is a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen. 

If you listen to the Pwinsider interview and the one with Meltzer from this summer he sounds a little more relaxed and sane than he has in a while. He pretty much said taking a break from the business and going on a diet is what saved him from having a heart attack and/or stroke. It's also great hearing him turn into a huge nerd when he's discussing his collection of silver age marvel comics.

I went through and tried to map out the famous undefeated, 173-0 streak of Goldberg that gets dismissed a lot today and I got up to Goldberg losing to Kevin Nash on his 162nd match.  Has the WWE or WCW ever gone and listed an official match listing for his streak? The one on the old BillGoldberg.com page had several doubles (they counted the taping and airdate for certain WCW Worldwide matches) and a couple other lists I've found stop around 150.

Also, feel free to click-through and correct my post if I've messed up. I cycled through three sites and think I have a solid list.

• Like 1

Is there anyone Cornette hasn't yet managed to turn into a supporting player in the story of How The Wrestling Business Screwed Over Jim Cornette?

"Yeah, there was this intern working for WWF in the '90s who would pop in to meetings to give Vince his coffee then quickly leave. He didn't have a clue what was best for business or how to make money. He was one of the guys that forced me out. He would rather see Sable's boobs than good quality wrestling."

Ever since the end of WCW, the HOF has been open to pretty much anyone from the US wrestling scene who contributed significantly or had any type of noteriety.  I'm wondering, are there any long-term ECW guys that have a shot?  About the only guy I can think of offhand is maybe Sabu.  The Dudleys and Taz I would think possibly, but I get the impression they're too far removed from the WWE at this point to ever be considered.

“It’s tough to see my friends [at WWE] making hundreds of thousands of dollars and really living the life that I worked my whole life for,” McGuinness said. “And I feel, justifiably so, that I unfairly lost the opportunity. But I’ve learned so many skills from working on the documentary, that I can now edit shows and movies and if I have other projects that I want to do, I know on the backend that I can do it all myself. I said to [Colt] Cabana on the end of the tour, really how I view my career will largely depend on what happens after my career. If I continue to have some success in L.A., I may look back and say, you know what? It was the best thing to happen to me.”

I feel bad for Nigel, but his habit of blaming WWE for ruining his hopes and dreams always seemed unfair to me. Read between the lines in his documentary and they clearly didn't sign him because he was a physical mess. You know, from all those bumps on the indies that no one forced him to do.

Why are Cesaro and Punk in WWE and he's not? I don't know. Maybe because they were smart enough not to destroy their bodies before getting their deals? (Rollins, too, at least waited till he got called up to the roster to start killing himself on a weekly basis.) 

Glad to see he's moving on with his life, though.

I haven't been keeping up with wrestling the past few weeks, since Monday Night Football started. Read someone in the RAW thread this week mentioned the RAW ratings are down lately? I'm so out of the loop.

I know that I lost a lot of interest in WWE when Bryan was on top. I loved "American Dragon" in Ring of Honor. But Daniel Bryan in WWE? It's just fucking boring to me. Sure, he's a great wrestler but all he really does is run around screaming "YES!" over & over when he's not wrestling, so I lost interest. Plus, honestly, I don't give a shit about the wrestling on free TV. That's what the PPVs are for to me. The TV should be about getting me to want to see the PPV, to want to see who wins. To build up the characters & the stories. WWE is doing a piss poor job of that lately, in my opinion.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm one of the dreaded "size should matter" people. I would much rather have a guy like Mark Henry over Bryan. It's just more believable to me & I find his character more entertaining. I was never going to buy into Daniel Bryan being some new-age Steve Austin. It just wasn't going to happen.

Then everything under the Bryan stuff on the card is a bunch of jobbers with no heat that don't mean shit trading wins back-and-forth with one another. Kofi Kingston, Alberto Del Rio, The Miz, Curtis Axel, Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow, Dolph Ziggler, Fandango, R-Truth...just who gives a fuck? It's a bunch of goddamn scruds. Even as a professional wrestling fan, if I have to choose been baseball playoff, NFL or the upcoming NBA season or those dudes, I'm not watching WWE.

Hope it works out for WWE. Been watching them since like 1987. I'm sure they'll find something that sticks & brings people back in big numbers eventually but this current "season" is definitely not my cup of tea. I know some people around here are really digging some stuff, a lot of which I'm sure if for nostalgic reasons but in 2013, I just don't care if "Goldust gets his job back" or "Big Show fights back against the Corporation." I read that Cena is coming back early from injury? Why? So he can feud with ADR? Who the fuck cares about Del Rio? Cena coming back early from injury & they're slapping him in a cage his first match back?

With Cena hurt, Taker old/busted/semi-retired & Brock on a part-time schedule (if that) how are they planning on selling Wrestlemania in 2014? They expect people to pay $75 for Daniel Bryan & C.M. Punk? I just feel like WWE doesn't have any stars. They don't have anyone that I would pay money to watch. Being good at your craft of wrestling is all well & good but you need to draw me into the show & make me suspend disbelief.

With Cena hurt, Taker old/busted/semi-retired & Brock on a part-time schedule (if that) how are they planning on selling Wrestlemania in 2014? They expect people to pay $75 for Daniel Bryan & C.M. Punk? I just feel like WWE doesn't have any stars. They don't have anyone that I would pay money to watch. Being good at your craft of wrestling is all well & good but you need to draw me into the show & make me suspend disbelief.

Cena's coming back at the end of the month (which isn't to say he won't get injured again between now and Mania), I can pretty much guarantee Taker's going to work Mania even if that's his only match the entire year, and Lesnar's still under contract for a while yet.  You do, however, make a valid point in regard to WWE making new stars.

Ever since the end of WCW, the HOF has been open to pretty much anyone from the US wrestling scene who contributed significantly or had any type of noteriety.  I'm wondering, are there any long-term ECW guys that have a shot?  About the only guy I can think of offhand is maybe Sabu.  The Dudleys and Taz I would think possibly, but I get the impression they're too far removed from the WWE at this point to ever be considered.

Is Heyman in yet?

Tommy Dreamer seems reasonable.

Cena's coming back at the end of the month (which isn't to say he won't get injured again between now and Mania), I can pretty much guarantee Taker's going to work Mania even if that's his only match the entire year, and Lesnar's still under contract for a while yet.  You do, however, make a valid point in regard to WWE making new stars.

Last year 'Taker wrestled Punk. Who could 'Taker wrestle this year? I assume he'll be there too, get him to 25-0 is probably the goal... Just looking at the roster, I'm not seeing anyone credible for 'Taker or for the main event. I think Cena Vs. 'Taker is the biggest money match they probably have. But what about the rest of the card? They just feel thin. They have talent, for sure. Just no one that really screams "I need to see this guy."

Has there ever really been a top line promotion built around a tag team?Maybe the Dudleys for a brief time in 99, or the Impact Players, but really can't think of many others.

I don't know if ROH counts as "top line", but for a long time they used tag wrestling and the Briscoes as the big reason to watch ROH.

The ratings always drop at this time, I don't think you can blame anyone except Monday Night Football. In October 1st of last year Raw got 2.5 rating, the lowest rating since 1997, that prompted the infamous Vince vs CM Punk street fight which managed to boost up the ratings to only 2.8. In comparison this years 2.68 and 2.65 of the last 2 weeks is almost exactly the same and it's not boosted with a match like Vince vs Punk. Also considering that TV ratings are way down across the board for everything due to people cutting the cord and going with internet only options the ratings holding steady should not be considered bad news. The WWE should be used to and plan for the ratings to drop off during football season and rise back up once football season is over, instead of overreacting to the ratings especially since the main culprit is not the booking or the superstars it's Monday Night Football. 

Has there ever really been a top line promotion built around a tag team?

Maybe the Dudleys for a brief time in 99, or the Impact Players, but really can't think of many others.

The Road Warriors in 1984-1985 were probably THE main attraction in the AWA (Slaughter and Martel would be the only other people close.) 

Early 1984 in Mid-South was pretty much built around The Midnight Express with the TA/II feud transitioning into the R&Rs and the Watts/Stagger Lee matches which ended up being one of the bigger house show draws in the company's history.

I thought of something interesting: WWE are going to UAE this week and Darren Young, per Twitter, isn't going. It could be down to how the roster is divided up, or it might have to do with homosexuality being strictly prohibited (you'll usually get years in jail for that over there.) I assume there are certain countries Young won't be allowed to go to in the future, too.

I don't want to get into whether or not WWE should be running in these countries, but I'm pretty sure their continued international expansion gurantees more situations like this in the future. It doesn't really matter with Young since no one is paying tickets to see the guy, but if sounds like a disaster waiting to happen if a fairly big star ever comes out.