DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Took my 10 yr. old nephew to the V.I.P. Experience show in Albany, NY last night. My worthless thoughts about it:

- They had a small stage with multiple screens & smoke. Heyman, Axel & Wyatt cut promos from the locker room in between matches making it feel like a TV taping instead of a house show. You could tweet/text messages or photos to a website that would be displayed on screens in the arena during the matches.

- I paid $30 for him to have a picture taken with one of the replica belts which gets photoshopped onto a fake WWE magazine cover with the Superstar of his choice. Looks really good but unfortunately you don't get a digital copy.

- Limited merchandise at the show. Only items available were for Cena, Punk & RVD.

- Great Khali came out first & my own knees hurt watching him moving around. Jinder Mahal did a good job bumping for him & tried to make the best of the match given how Khali's limited mobility.

- AJ Lee - She works hard & plays to the crowd well.

- RVD - My first time watching him live & I had low expectations from his TV matches. He needs to get rid of that gut. He actually didn't botch any spots or potato Del Rio. He had the second loudest pop of the night.

- Alberto del Rio - Managed to pull a better match out of RVD than I thought he could. He was pretty obvious calling his spots to make sure RVD was where he was supposed to be.

- Drew Mcintyre is much bigger than I thought.

- The Wyatt family - People wanted to see them but the crowd fell flat sometime during the beginning of the match. I think people like the idea of them but they're wasn't anything interesting about their match against the Usos. They need to be more than a cool entrance. Despite the crowd going flat at the end, Bray was 110% in selling his character.

- Zack Ryder - Really lukewarm reception for him. El Torito was more over than him last night.

- Ryback - Actually cut a decent promo about Ryder shaking Josh Matthews' (ring announcer) hand when he got into the ring. Ryback said he was defending Matthews because he's short, puny & weak.

Paul Heyman - Like someone pointed out on the board, he slowly incorporates himself into the match. He knows how to work the crowd without taking too much focus off Axel. He made everyone laugh in his promo where he said real New Yorkers wish Albany would secede from the state.

CM Punk - The loudest pop of the night by far. He's not as small as I thought he would be. He appeared to be in good shape even though I've seen it posted that he's pretty beat up lately.

• Like 1

I find the first three H2G2 books merit re-reading every so often. The last two, maybe not so much. Come to think of it I've only read Mostly Harmless once.

Aaand there we went and single-handedly probably killed October.

That Meltzer radio show tidbit, where he explained how Vince was going to move RAW to UPN/Friday and Nitro to USA/Monday, blew my mind. It was a done deal, which USA had already signed off on. Living in St. Louis at the time, I wouldn't have been able to watch RAW as they didn't get the network until a couple of years later.

Check this out:

An ad for a WCW relaunch event from 2001.

Did that event actually happen? Did any house shows happen?

That Meltzer radio show tidbit, where he explained how Vince was going to move RAW to UPN/Friday and Nitro to USA/Monday, blew my mind. It was a done deal, which USA had already signed off on.

A couple of books I've read mentioned this scenario, but they've all said it was going to be Nitro on Monday, and Smackdown on Friday (the Raw name was going to be dropped).

http://www.kayfabenews.com/khali-now-four-inches-taller-after-cesaro-swing/

"Although he was already the tallest competitor in World Wrestling Entertainment, The Great Khali measured a full four inches taller this morning after enduring a powerful Cesaro Swing at the Battleground pay-per-view.

The Punjabi giant, who previously stood at a whopping seven-foot-one, now towers even higher over opponents at an unbelievable seven-foot-five.

According to WWE Chief Medic Dr. Bob Ponovich, the “centrifugal force exerted by the Cesaro Swing caused an elongation of Mr. Khali’s legs and spine.”

Added Dr. Ponovich: “It actually seems to have helped Mr. Khali, as he no longer walks like a drunken clown on stilts.”

Asked for comment, The Great Khali told reporters: “Grauchghchhh.  Schauruannn pauchgauh, tuchsch gah nah raaaaahhhh.”

A Punjabi translator indicated that Khali’s statement was just gibberish."

• Like 5