DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Until someone mentioned Wade Barrett, I honestly had not even noticed he wasn't on TV. Is there another current wrestler who so consistently fails to meet the sum of his parts? The guys is a good promo, has good presence, and works a believable style that fits his look and shows his personality/character well. Despite all of those things, he has almost never been interesting. 

• Like 3

Is there another current wrestler who so consistently fails to meet the sum of his parts?

I would put ADR, Sheamus and Ziggler in this category.

There's a lot of blame to go around for Barrett's failings. (a) He seems to have a new crummy theme every twice a year. (B) Outside of souvenir finisher and his black hole slam (which should be someone's finisher) his moveset and style is completely generic and © Barrett has been booked in IC/US type feuds for the better part of three years. How many times can you drop wins to the Miz's and Kofis of the world before you have a mid-card stench on you?

Supposedly Wade Barrett is being kept off TV for a little while to be repackaged a bit. He should come back and eventually hook up with Best for Business.

Kinda related, I was thinking during RAW that since it has been established that Dusty Rhodes is the head trainer for NXT, wouldn't it be great if he brought up his "hand picked" guy from NXT to challenge Best for Business? Or, perhaps even better, bring up his handpicked guy and have him turn on Dusty to join Triple H? That would be a great way to establish somebody new right out of the gate.

That sounds tailor-made for Bo Dallas.

If this happens - I'm blaming you.

Stupid Bo Dallas

• Like 1

Barrett rules. He got a super main event push right from the gate. They brought him down a while but they obviously like him a ton. He had a cage match against Bryan on Smackdown that was clearly a "Let's see what we got here" thing. He'd be absolutely great as a corporate kiss-ass weasel. He's legit one of my favorite dudes on the roster.ADR holds the second most important title and wrestles really consistently well. He doesn't have any MOTYs under his belt but if you're looking for a tight, well-told 10-15 minute PPV, you can't do better than him. I'd love to see what he and Bryan would be able to do together.I sort of think Ziggler's perfect in his role right now. He's not a main event guy. He's a great Top 7 guy. He's the best upper-card guy they have at making everyone else look like they're world beaters.Sheamus suuuuucks, tho. Great in-ring stuff but he's just the worst.

Supposedly Wade Barrett is being kept off TV for a little while to be repackaged a bit. He should come back and eventually hook up with Best for Business.

Kinda related, I was thinking during RAW that since it has been established that Dusty Rhodes is the head trainer for NXT, wouldn't it be great if he brought up his "hand picked" guy from NXT to challenge Best for Business? Or, perhaps even better, bring up his handpicked guy and have him turn on Dusty to join Triple H? That would be a great way to establish somebody new right out of the gate.

That sounds tailor-made for Bo Dallas.

If this happens - I'm blaming you.

Stupid Bo Dallas

Just wait, man. His stuff the past month has been insanely good. He went from "worst face ever" to "amazing smarmy douche" overnight.

Barrett's biggest problem is he hasn't improved significantly since his debut. He was pretty solid right out of the gate and that was plenty good enough in the wasteland (just realized this is a terrible pun after I typed it, but it's staying) that was 2010 WWE. In 2013 though, lots of other guys have improved their stock, while a few new guys have just stepped in being instantly better than Barrett. Being just above average in 2013 doesn't cut it like it did in 2010, hence the drop off for Wade. Ziggler has suffered from the same talent level rise to a lesser degree. 

I mean, now Cesaro basically does everything they've asked Wade to do the past couple of years, except a million times better. In fact, now that I think about it, they should've totally teamed Cesaro with Barrett instead of Swagger. He's better than Jack in every way, and his promo skills could cover Antonio's one weak spot.

So the story line reason for HHH allowing The Shield to fight 11 on 3 is I guess ....  1. To appease the babyfaces and stave off the mutiny but 2. In doing so making sure The Shield have a good possibility of winning the match...  (a lot of the guys were banged up like RVD and some were jobbers).

So I can see how The Shield would still be cool with HHH.

However...  Orton. I don't understand why HHH paid Armstrong to fast count. Shouldn't Orton be more pissed at this than anyone? The only explanation I have seen from Steph/HHH is WE WANT YOU TO BE THE VIPER AGAIN...

I actually think Barrett has improved a decent amount since 2010, just not enough to get pushed over more interesting guys.

And while I agree he would have made better pairing with Cesaro than Swagger I can't agree that he is better than Swagger at all outside of promos.

So the story line reason for HHH allowing The Shield to fight 11 on 3 is I guess ....  1. To appease the babyfaces and stave off the mutiny but 2. In doing so making sure The Shield have a good possibility of winning the match...  (a lot of the guys were banged up like RVD and some were jobbers).

So I can see how The Shield would still be cool with HHH.

However...  Orton. I don't understand why HHH paid Armstrong to fast count. Shouldn't Orton be more pissed at this than anyone? The only explanation I have seen from Steph/HHH is WE WANT YOU TO BE THE VIPER AGAIN...

HHH paid for the fast count only as a backup and presumably only if it was after the move that beat John Cena, which seeing as it beat superman could surely beat Randy Orton. Should Orton be upset that Triple H had no faith in him to kick out? Maybe so, but he was obviously knocked out after, so it is clear that Triple H was right. Also from Orton's point of view there is no point in going against the power tripping boss who is making life hell for every wrestler who challenges him. 

Sure but why not just give the title back to Orton seeing as he was "screwed" out of it?

Because they are mad at Orton for losing, they did not want him to lose but they had a backup plan just in case.

By not giving him the title they are also hoping to motivate him. Just giving him the title back would lead to him coasting because he would think no matter what happens they will just give me the title back. 

Barrett tends to work at the level of whoever his opponent is at the time. He's good enough that he doesn't need to be carried, but not so good that he can carry a lesser worker. Put him in a match with Miz and you're not getting anything special. But he had some pretty great TV matches with Sheamus last year.

Hello everybody! I don't usually venture into these threads, but I do today with a question.

If Daniel Bryan wins the WWE Title at Battleground, will he become the first man to win the title at three PPVs in a row? It's a very odd scenario.

Man, I want Bob Armstrong to drag Scott into the ring by his ear and make him tell the WWE Universe the truth about the fast count.  Then I want him to punch Brad Maddox in the head and put on a clip-on tie and an airbrushed baseball cap that says "General Manager" on it.

• Like 10

Sure but why not just give the title back to Orton seeing as he was "screwed" out of it?

Because they are mad at Orton for losing, they did not want him to lose but they had a backup plan just in case.

I know what you're saying but maybe if Armstrong does not fast count him... he kicks out?

Man, I want Bob Armstrong to drag Scott into the ring by his ear and make him tell the WWE Universe the truth about the fast count.  Then I want him to punch Brad Maddox in the head and put on a clip-on tie and an airbrushed baseball cap that says "General Manager" on it.

I'm real surprised they didn't have Road Dogg come on TV to try and plead for his brother's job back just to get the "you have to beat Randy Orton" thing.

I know what you're saying but maybe if Armstrong does not fast count him... he kicks out?
They've had Bryan mention a few times that Orton was knocked cold and would never have been able to kick out.