DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown is Dane Bryant is the Best in the World - 11/20/18

HumanChessgame

• HumanChessgame changed the title to Smackdown is Dane Bryant is the Best in the World - 11/20/18

My net must have went screwy because I missed the first five minutes including most of Charlott'e promo. I did enjoyed the matches with IIconics afterward though I thought the beatdown from Charlotte was a bit too tame after Sunday destruction of Ronda.

Enjoyed Absolution vs. Naomi/Asuka. Once again I wonder where the hell are the women;s tag titles.

Bryan's explanation for turning evil was odd, but I didn't hate it if only for Bryan's delivery.

This development of Charlotte Flair's character is very intriguing in that while on the surface she's playing unhinged and seeking to dominate her rivals, there's a lot of nuance there and continuity from her feud with Becky. One of the main themes of that feud was that Becky had meant everything to Charlotte--it didn't even matter that she won the title at Summerslam, she was just devastated to lose her friend. Her promos continued to emphasise her sense of loss, and her actions suggested that deep down what she really wanted was to get Becky back. A great example is HIAC, where after Becky beat her clean, Charlotte went to raise her hand, trying to be a good sport and win Becky back that way. Of course this didn't work (because Becky didn't just want the title, she wanted to humiliate Charlotte), which lead to a great little moment of Charlotte staring at her own hand as if wondering why she'd even done that, or if she'd done it unconsciously. 

For me, the key line of Charlotte's promo last night was when she said she'd taken Becky's words last week to heart, and that her sadistic beatdown on Ronda was her attempt to live up to what Becky wanted for her, as if she feels content because Becky must be proud of her. You can read a lot of what she's saying as trying to impress Becky, from repeating her backstage-promo line from last week about fighting against/with/for Becky, to threatening to beat down Ronda even more the next time they face, to trying to appeal to Becky by making a lame pun. (Fighting "Flair or square") Losing so decisively to Becky is still messing with her head, and what we're getting now is a version of Charlotte which after everything that's transpired still wants her Becky back. And judging by Becky's in-character twitter banter, even this won't work, Becky's just posting tweets mocking Charlotte as "imitating" her, because Becky in her 'The Man' guise only respects herself.

I understand on one level the complaints in recent months that Becky and Charlotte have completely monopolised the SDL women's division (which had three matches last night! Even if two of them were Charlotte), but they're doing such interesting and nuanced work that to me it feels worth it.

• Like 6

I'm still seeing nothing out of the IIconics.  They are "okay" on the mic?  I guess?   In-ring..   it's not just that they are tasked with stooging,  I'd give them a pass if they were doing that well but they aren't good bumpers either,  they just....  fall down like Kelly Kelly used to.  

I'm seeing more potential out of Sonya and Mandy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

With D-Bry as champion looks like we might get Miz vs Shane at Mania and i'm not upset with that.

God, I hope they go in this direction.

Shane chasing after the title is definitely something that would turn me away from the product entirely.

The guy who pinned the Miz was Eli Everfly who's been making the rounds on some of the indys on Powerbomb.tv and such.

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

God, I hope they go in this direction.

Shane chasing after the title is definitely something that would turn me away from the product entirely.

The guy who pinned the Miz was Eli Everfly who's been making the rounds on some of the indys on Powerbomb.tv and such.

Eli Everfly is a regular for GCW, the promotion Joey Janela books. Everfly was Marko Stunt's opponent at last Friday's LA Confidential, when Marko broke his leg.

7 hours ago, Web Conn said:

With D-Bry as champion looks like we might get Miz vs Shane at Mania and i'm not upset with that.

I'd rather see Miz and Shane become a tag team so we can get more of Miz pushing an already near-dead Shane to jump off of high places.

39 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I'd rather see Miz and Shane become a tag team so we can get more of Miz pushing an already near-dead Shane to jump off of high places.

Miz and Shane bearing the Bar for the tag titles at Mania wouldn’t be the most awful thing In the world.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Miz and Shane bearing the Bar for the tag titles at Mania wouldn’t be the most awful thing In the world.

I could see the Usos vs. New Day vs. The Bar vs. The Bludgeon Brothers. Make it a six pack challenge and throw the Good Brothers and Sanity in there.

• Like 1

The real revelation is that it should've been just as easy for Charlotte (no matter how much WD40 she was spraying on her hinges at the time) to kick both Iiconics' ass when they all too easily and conveniently laid her out costing her the title after WrestleMania. Never mind how much better suited the Riot Squad was for that particular maiming. I guess making a mess of catering and tagging production trailers backstage was much more chaotic though. It's always about the shiny new debuts.

Scanning the rest of the thread, I remember Dolph being aligned with Vickie but not so much his cosplaying as Randy Orton.