DVDVR Message Board

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part.

The Natural

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

The first one was probably my fave film of 2014, went in expecting it to be terrible and laughed all the way through. Not watched any of the licensed gash grab ones they've done since as I didn't want to sour the taste

Lego Batman is definitely worth your time.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I liked it a lot. Maybe as much as the first. LOVED everything with the raptors ("TENNIS! WE LOVE ") and it had one of the most unexpected jokes I've heard in a movie with the Radiohead joke. 

And yes, the cameo was pretty awesome too.

It was a shitty sequel that lacked the magic of the original. Not surprised its tanking at the box office after they waited five years and made a mediocre Ninjago movie. The live action scenes were worse and wholly unnecessary. 

The message was really preachy and heavy handed. The ending felt oddly wrong.

It was reminiscent of the synthesis ending of Mass Effect 3.

Also, what happened to the funniest characters? Where was Good Cop/Bad Cop? Other characters had nothing to do and were nothing more than one-note jokes like Unikitty. 

Some of the more adult jokes were amusing, but that's about all it had going for it. I liked Chris Pratt basically playing a parody of himself, but even that sort of gets old after a little while. It figures that Lord and Miller didn't think this story was good enough or worth their time to direct. Instead, they passed it off to the co-director of Trolls.

Caught this tonight with my brother and both of us thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't compare it to the first one since its been a while since I saw it, but I dug the story and thought there were plenty of amusing moments if not much in the LOL area.

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

Take it Batman's a scene stealer again? I may prefer Batman's cameo in the Lego Movie to the Lego Batman Movie. Darkness. No parents.

Not so much. He has a few amusing one-liners that's about it. The LEGO Batman movie was considerably better and more amusing.

• Thanks 1

Saw this yesterday,  I was entertained by it.  I figured out the twist pretty quickly, but was a little put off by them hitting you over the head with what the metaphor of the story actually was. 

That being said, I'm all but done with Chris Pratt.  10 years of playing the same character is just about enough. (and that doesn't even begin to go into the other personal stuff that's come out recently -- and that's all I'll say about that.)

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Saw this yesterday,  I was entertained by it.  I figured out the twist pretty quickly, but was a little put off by them hitting you over the head with what the metaphor of the story actually was. 

That being said, I'm all but done with Chris Pratt.  10 years of playing the same character is just about enough. (and that doesn't even begin to go into the other personal stuff that's come out recently -- and that's all I'll say about that.)

The unmitigated gall to marry Arnold Schwarzenegger's daughter. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 8:09 AM, Matt D said:

Anecdotally, I've seen a lot of people ngative on this. I wonder if it's that I just wasn't as high as everyone else on the first one (and I don't particularly like Will Ferrell in almost all situations). 

On 2/19/2019 at 8:19 AM, odessasteps said:

I heard someone say the first was good because it exceeded expectations and the sequel had to live up to the first one. 

The first movie is a genuinely good movie. The second one is trash. 

I really enjoyed it, the gags were all great and the songs were funny as hell (especially the Batman one which brought up all the other actors who played him) with the best being saved for the credits. 

Story wasn't as fun as the first one and I didn't laugh as much but meh, it's a kids film and it was fine. As with so many things these days there was a burden of expectation that it could never live up to as expectations were so low for the first one and so high for this one. Nowt to be negative about, it's daft clean fun that reflects the growing age of the audience from the first film.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:11 PM, Craig H said:

The second one isn't trash. It's really good. You're a sensationalist.

It's bad and most people are forcing themselves to like it because the first movie was so beloved. They didn't do a good job. 

The new characters aren't funny.

LEGO Batman movie basically milked everything you could out of that character, so there was really nothing else for him to do.

Edited by TheVileOne