DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Dean's Love Letters To Seth - 11/19/18

Dolfan in NYC

The problem with the "X wrestler was ok with the angle" is I'm guessing whomever that is (Trish, Vicki, Roman e.g.) is do they really have a choice? It would likely have to be some level of nonsense for someone in that position to refuse to do it. I'm guessing Drake Maverick is cool with pissing in his pants, too. ("HEY, I PISSED MY PANTS ON TV TOO, PAL!"), even though I'm sure he knows any ray of hope he ever had of being taken seriously has been smashed like a ringside ECW table. 

And I'm pretty sure for Roman some BS story line on WWE TV seems pretty small potatoes at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Someone called Ronda a "Corporate champion" and an "overhyped Sandy Hook Truther TERF!" in a reply to a WWE tweet with the Ronda promo video from last night. ?‍♂️

The only thing wrong in those statements I see is "overhyped".  

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Hasn't he only wrestled Braun twice? With the Saudi match being more of an angle than a match?

Twice one on one yes, in addition to the 4 way at Summerslam 2017 w/ Reigns and Joe, and the triple threat at the Rumble with Kane. I'd also prefer Brock vs. anyone else.

• Like 1

In hindsight, Roman relinquishing the title, breaking the fourth wall and leaving only for it to be the catalyst for the Shield break-up feels like manipulation. Manipulation of Roman, manipulation of the fans emotions. Another ''moment'' for Vince to stroke his ego with. Just go back and read the Roman thread the night the news broke revealing his illness and the reaction of the board. The sharing of stories of lost loved ones. The emotions that night were very real here. I don't care if Roman is fine with the storyline. I don't care if he went to Vince and said ''use this, it will be great heat for Ambrose''. It feels like a slap in the face to everyone that has lost someone to the fuck awful disease.

People will say it's the wrestling business. Exploitation of real world events is written in it's DNA, right? No. There's a difference between Nia being a sloppy worker and breaking Becky's nose and creative capitalizing on it (which fucking stinks too, but it is what it is) to the living, breathing killing machine that is cancer. Fuck all that. As much as WWE barks on about progression, their true, reprehensible, immoral, unethical face has shown up a lot lately. 

It must be painful for some to continually repress these feelings and to constantly re-write reality to defend this company.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Twice one on one yes, in addition to the 4 way at Summerslam 2017 w/ Reigns and Joe, and the triple threat at the Rumble with Kane. I'd also prefer Brock vs. anyone else.

I counted those when I brought up Braun. Like you, I'd prefer a different opponent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick said:

In hindsight, Roman relinquishing the title, breaking the fourth wall and leaving only for it to be the catalyst for the Shield break-up feels like manipulation. Manipulation of Roman, manipulation of the fans emotions. Another ''moment'' for Vince to stroke his ego with. Just go back and read the Roman thread the night the news broke revealing his illness and the reaction of the board. The sharing of stories of lost loved ones. The emotions that night were very real here. I don't care if Roman is fine with the storyline. I don't care if he went to Vince and said ''use this, it will be great heat for Ambrose''. It feels like a slap in the face to everyone that has lost someone to the fuck awful disease.

People will say it's the wrestling business. Exploitation of real world events is written in it's DNA, right? No. There's a difference between Nia being a sloppy worker and breaking Becky's nose and creative capitalizing on it (which fucking stinks too, but it is what it is) to the living, breathing killing machine that is cancer. Fuck all that. As much as WWE barks on about progression, their true, reprehensible, immoral, unethical face has shown up a lot lately. 

It must be painful for some to continually repress these feelings and to constantly re-write reality to defend this company.

Great post, @Rick. I'll be the first like of a lot you'll be getting for it.

• Like 2

In fairness to Roman (or Joe, as he was on that night), he wanted fans to know why he had to go. Someone in his position taking an extended leave wouldn't go unnoticed. He didn't want to deal with wild assumptions as to why he was gone, so he told us directly. He made it clear that it was real. That's admirable. He controlled the narrative as much as he could. One he made the announcement, however, all bets were off on all sides as to how it was handled. 

It's worth noting that the one person not talking about Roman is Roman. He's been completely silent since October 23, as is his right.

WWE has a terrible track record with this sort of thing. From Melanie Pillman to "Eddie's down there...IN HELL" to Reed Flair to Nattie and Jim Neidhart. Even legitimately tawdry moments like Edge/Lita/Matt Hardy. For every fan who shrugs at real life heartbreak being used simply as part of the business, there's another fan who's disgusted by it. It all leads to a net-zero gain for WWE. At the rate they're going, Roman will be the luckiest person in this as he's not around to deal with it. Who figured being seriously ill would give one an advantage?

That WWE does so much charity work with cancer initiatives also makes this uncomfortable.

It's amazing that with the long history between the two, they can't find a way to heat up Dean and Seth other than to use the illness of a man who, until 8:15 PM Eastern on October 22, 2018, was supposedly not over with half of the WWE fanbase. I don't want to imagine the vitriol that would come Roman's way if the roles were reversed and they used a tragedy in Seth or Dean's life to give his story meaning. Perhaps that's the Roman mega-fan in me talking, but it came to mind.

Maybe they'll think better of it. As I mentioned earlier, it felt like they had Dean walk the original comment back a bit by saying his vendetta on Seth wasn't about Roman. Still, it's such a slippery slope that I don't know why they would do. There's no real benefit from it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Maybe they'll think better of it. As I mentioned earlier, it felt like they had Dean walk the original comment back a bit by saying his vendetta on Seth wasn't about Roman. Still, it's such a slippery slope that I don't know why they would do. There's no real benefit from it.

For what it's worth, and I know some don't take his word to heart like others, but Meltzer said this week that the Roman stuff isn't going to stop and it's a Vince directive.

• Sad 3

They could have even done like a half-ass non-mention where instead of THAT line, it was "Look at Roman. Roman had the Universal title ripped from him after 5 brutal years of working for the acceptance of these ungrateful people" or something. It would've accomplished the exact same goal without the cancer grossness. Yes, heels have to say spicy heel things, but "most disgusting promotional tactic" would be an understatement here. Peoples sensibilities have changed nowadays. They're not gonna pay to see Ambrose get his ass kicked; they're just going to change the channel.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

The problem with the "X wrestler was ok with the angle" is I'm guessing whomever that is (Trish, Vicki, Roman e.g.) is do they really have a choice? It would likely have to be some level of nonsense for someone in that position to refuse to do it. I'm guessing Drake Maverick is cool with pissing in his pants, too. ("HEY, I PISSED MY PANTS ON TV TOO, PAL!"), even though I'm sure he knows any ray of hope he ever had of being taken seriously has been smashed like a ringside ECW table. 

Rockstar Spud was never going to be taken seriously as a threat to anyone.  The whole gimmick is that he's a little jerk who stands behind two monsters, makes them look bigger in comparison and can be the butt of the joke when someone needs to get heat on them.  

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

Rockstar Spud was never going to be taken seriously as a threat to anyone.  The whole gimmick is that he's a little jerk who stands behind two monsters, makes them look bigger in comparison and can be the butt of the joke when someone needs to get heat on them.  

I'm sure he knew he was never going to hold a belt, but I'm guessing he was hoping for more than "guy who pisses in pants so Vince can tell all his fourth grade jokes on screen" guy. 

Or I'll put it another way: if he knew he was going to just be a comedy guy, I'm guessing he was hoping for something funny instead of cringe wrestlecrap embarrassment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I'm sure he knew he was never going to hold a belt, but I'm guessing he was hoping for more than "guy who pisses in pants so Vince can tell all his fourth grade jokes on screen" guy. 

Or I'll put it another way: if he knew he was going to just be a comedy guy, I'm guessing he was hoping for something funny instead of cringe wrestlecrap embarrassment.

I'm gonna bet.... and this is *just speculation* that James "Drake Maverick"/"Rockstar Spud" Curtin is more than happy to do whatever Vince asks him to do because, and this is just a list I'm coming up with off the top of my head:

1. The checks are big, consistent, and on time.

2. He doesn't have to worry about the company randomly going out of business next week.

3. He's performing for audiences 100 times bigger than he had been before for checks that are: big, consistent, and on time.

4. Claire Lynch

5. He doesn't have to kill his body to get paid with checks that are: big, consistent, and on time. 

6. Aces & Eights

7. The checks are.... Big.  Consistent. And on time. 

If he wanted to be the big fish in a small pond, he could have gone to All-Star, IWA, or AWA. He knew what he was getting into at WWE when he signed his contract. He's not as abjectly stupid as Low-Ki. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm gonna bet.... and this is *just speculation* that James "Drake Maverick"/"Rockstar Spud" Curtin is more than happy to do whatever Vince asks him to do because, and this is just a list I'm coming up with off the top of my head:

Which I agree with, but it bends back to my original point that just because a talent says it's ok, doesn't make it not tasteless or offensive. There's no way most of them are going to say no.

And this particular show here hit just about all of the bullshit I hate about WWE in general so maybe that's throwing some salt on this whole thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

William Regal literally kissed Vince’s ass. It was the best thing that ever happened to him. Lighten up. 

Honestly forgot that happened. I'd say the best thing that happened to his career was becoming the commissioner, not performing in a dumb comedy skit. But, hey, each their own.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Honestly forgot that happened. I'd say the best thing that happened to his career was becoming the commissioner, not performing in a dumb comedy skit. But, hey, each their own.

Of course, Regal loves doing slapstick comedy.

Hashtag Morecambe and Wise