DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Dean's Love Letters To Seth - 11/19/18

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

William Regal literally kissed Vince’s ass. It was the best thing that ever happened to him. Lighten up. 

Getting clean and not dying probably edges out putting your lips on VKM's ass.

Yes, I'm salty as fuck about cancer being used to further a fucking angle. Watch someone die of cancer or the effect it has on loved ones, then tell me it's ok to use in a wrestling angle because "it's art" or "it's just a tv show" or whatever bullshit excuses defenders will come up with.

Bravo to @Rick for everything in his last post. You nailed it, my man.

• Like 5

Not going to try and justify the leukemia promo, the grossness of which has been correctly explained already, but I guarantee Drake Maverick doesn't care about the urine stuff. He's a man who got pinned by a toddler in TNA, then wrote a post explaining that Rockstar Spud and James Curtin are two different people, and that Rockstar Spud is a whiny coward who deserves to be embarrassed regularly. I imagine he feels the same about Drake Maverick.

Spud was always a WWF fan, he was never a workrate guy. He wanted to be a character and do the entertainment side of the sports entertainment. When he was FWA underdog babyface Spud doing balcony dives on Saturday night, than back to being a Bank Teller on Monday morning, that was the bit of his career he didn't enjoy.

8 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

The concept of pure-sports, super-serious MMA gimmick Drake Maverick makes me laugh just thinking about it. Yes, Vince's pee-pee poo-poo humor is stupid, but why would anyone ever take that dude seriously as a wrestler? 

Do you know how many weight classes old school British Wrestling used to have? Because it wasn't just Heavy and Cruiser, not by a long way. Although I'm talking 60s and 70s Wrestling there, before his time. But still, he isn't that much smaller than Johnny Storm or Jodie Fleisch are. Or Rey jr, when he was skinny. Hell, he was eye to eye with Davey Serious Business Richards in TNA one time.

But as far as the type of Wrestling he likes, how many people think the best match at Mania 3 was Hogan vs Andre, rather than Steamboat vs Savage? Not many, right? Spud does.

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

Do you know how many weight classes old school British Wrestling used to have? Because it wasn't just Heavy and Cruiser, not by a long way. Although I'm talking 60s and 70s Wrestling there, before his time. But still, he isn't that much smaller than Johnny Storm or Jodie Fleisch are. Or Rey jr, when he was skinny. Hell, he was eye to eye with Davey Serious Business Richards in TNA one time.

I didn't actually say anything about his size. He's been a comedy wrestler all along. The idea that Those Damn McMahons somehow ruined him for his future as a sure-fire serious-business main eventer is just more anti-WWE Meltzerite bullshit. Yes, the angle sucked, that's fine. But it's Rockstar Spud. What, exactly, specifically, is this going to prevent him from achieving? 

• Thanks 1

If you like Wrestling, and you watch the McMahon produced version, sooner or later you'll see something stupid, and wish they hadn't shown it to you. And if you keep watching, you'll see more stupid things, and wonder what's causing all this. After that, pretty easy to find who to blame and blame them, yeah?

35 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Another thread..  and more capes for the McMahons..  wonderful family,  why won't y'all leave them alone. 

You're absolutely right. Every single thread I post in turning into me trying to actually be reasonable about what should or should not be blamed on the McMahons is tiresome. Maybe every thread shouldn't devolve into hyperbolic McMahon-bashing? You're easily the worst offender - you can cut it out any time you like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I guess now's not a good time to mention the Stephanie "dismemberment"  line from this past week.  

Completely forgot about that. I received a market research survey from WWE this week by email, and I brought up the Roman line and the Saudis among many other things (the question was "what would make you more interested in WWE?" but uh I got a little off topic). I probably would've brought this up if I had. There's always the possibility it was unintentional though, just poorly timed. There's also the possibility of an overworked, underpaid WWE writer sneaking that word into her verbiage to an unsuspecting Stephanie, knowing that the more observant viewers like us might make a big deal. Probably not, but man that's fun to think about. Some dude just had to shake Randy's hand one too many times or whatever and just plants a kinda low key landmine and just waits for the Bix think piece on deadspin

• Like 1

You're acting as if Vince isn't the filter for absolutely everything on his shows. As attested to by literally everyone that's worked for him, Vince is an absolutist. Only a handful of people get bullet point promos, even if Stephanie wasn't on that list (which I doubt) she has a track record of saying stupid shit at the wrong moments. With the Saudi controversy being their biggest opponent since the Benoit murders and taking $30 off the stock price you know damn well if the ''dismemberment'' line was ran by anyone in charge it would be vetoed. And even if it wasn't, Steph should have had the wherewithal to change it. 

But yeah, let's blame it on a creative mishap or whatever. It was clearly implied as a dig at the Saudi controversy by the McMahon family.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rick said:

You're acting as if Vince isn't the filter for absolutely everything on his shows. As attested to by literally everyone that's worked for him, Vince is an absolutist. Only a handful of people get bullet point promos, even if Stephanie wasn't on that list (which I doubt) she has a track record of saying stupid shit at the wrong moments. With the Saudi controversy being their biggest opponent since the Benoit murders and taking $30 off the stock price you know damn well if the ''dismemberment'' line was ran by anyone in charge it would be vetoed. And even if it wasn't, Steph should have had the wherewithal to change it. 

But yeah, let's blame it on a creative mishap or whatever. It was clearly implied as a dig at the Saudi controversy by the McMahon family.

So yeah, the whole idea that Steph specifically is to blame for that line still seems to rest entirely on "We just KNOW what happens backstage and HOW it happens because WE watch SHOOT interviews." I'm sorry that your vitriol for the McMahons is so fervent that you feel the need to fill in the blanks of your knowledge with "surely the entire McMahon family did something evil here," but it isn't based in reality. It was a stupid and offensive line that shouldn't have been written or delivered, but nobody ever blames the talent for the shitty writing - unless their last name just happens to be McMahon.

17 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

but nobody ever blames the talent for the shitty writing - unless their last name just happens to be McMahon.

Who hires the writers who write the shitty writing? Who tells them what to write? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

So yeah, the whole idea that Steph specifically is to blame for that line still seems to rest entirely on "We just KNOW what happens backstage and HOW it happens because WE watch SHOOT interviews." I'm sorry that your vitriol for the McMahons is so fervent that you feel the need to fill in the blanks of your knowledge with "surely the entire McMahon family did something evil here," but it isn't based in reality. It was a stupid and offensive line that shouldn't have been written or delivered, but nobody ever blames the talent for the shitty writing - unless their last name just happens to be McMahon.

If it was creative you would think anyone with a fucking brain cell that makes executive decisions in the company. I.E the McMahon's would read it and scrap it immediately. It's called damage control. You do not smugly go on national television and play the sympathy game. So you're saying creative is complicit? Fine. So are the McMahons. If it was my company whoever wrote that shit would be fined immediately for gross incompetence. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

Who hires the writers who write the shitty writing? Who tells them what to write? 

Definitely not Shane and at this point not Steph either.

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

If it was creative you would think anyone with a fucking brain cell that makes executive decisions in the company. I.E the McMahon's would read it and scrap it immediately. It's called damage control. You do not smugly go on national television and play the sympathy game. So you're saying creative is complicit? Fine. So are the McMahons. If it was my company whoever wrote that shit would be fined immediately for gross incompetence. 

So Vince? Because again: Shane and Stephanie do not make these decisions. So no, those two specifically aren't really complicit, unless you also want to hold other talent responsible for the writing for some reason. Which would mean firing Paige for the Reid Flair bullshit that was written for her, firing any female or male who has cut a slut shaming promo that was written for them, firing Rusev and Lana for basically everything they've done, etc etc etc

18 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Definitely not Shane and at this point not Steph either.

So Vince? Because again: Shane and Stephanie do not make these decisions. So no, those two specifically aren't really complicit, unless you also want to hold other talent responsible for the writing for some reason. Which would mean firing Paige for the Reid Flair bullshit that was written for her, firing any female or male who has cut a slut shaming promo that was written for them, firing Rusev and Lana for basically everything they've done, etc etc etc

If you can't see the difference between WWE's exploitation of deaths to further storylines (ALWAYS distasteful and a channel changer, for me at least), which ironically on this very show they did that manifests within their framework to the media shitstorm that was the Saudi controversy that trended worldwide for weeks, and still is doing, effecting not only their company's value on the stock market but could have jeopardized their deals with FOX and beyond, then I can't help you with this one. 

Reid Flair is an anomaly. So is Roman's illness, to an extent. It's within their framework. Saudi Arabia isn't. 

It isn't out of the realm of possibility WWE disregarded the repercussions for said line, scripted or not. To me, it was Steph improvising. A momentary fuck up. But it could have been perceived to be very intended and very much a ''woe is us'' plea for sympathy for the ass kicking they got for their dealings with the Sauds. 

In any event, this company has a lot to answer for, either way. I blame Steph. I blame Vince. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rick said:

It isn't out of the realm of possibility WWE disregarded the repercussions for said line, scripted or not. To me, it was Steph improvising. A momentary fuck up. But it could have been perceived to be very intended and very much a ''woe is us'' plea for sympathy for the ass kicking they got for their dealings with the Sauds. 

In any event, this company has a lot to answer for, either way. I blame Steph. I blame Vince. 

That's just it - "to you" it was Steph improvising. But you have ZERO clue whether that is actually true or not. So feel free to blame whoever you want to - just stop pretending you have a reason to blame Steph in particular. You don't. 

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

That's just it - "to you" it was Steph improving. But you have ZERO clue whether that is actually true or not. So feel free to blame whoever you want to - just stop pretending you have a reason to blame Steph in particular. You don't. 

It came out of Steph's mouth. Just like it came out of Steph's mouth comparing her Dad's steroid trials to the fucking 9/11 attacks.  You've disregarded everything I've said and made it personal. I'm giving you examples, you're giving me nothing.

I don't need to watch a few fucking shoot interviews to grasp that the WWE is a tyrannical, totalitarian, despotic, opponent-intimidating entity. If you feel content with that then you're a bad person with bad morals, being a tribalist wrestling fan does not excuse you from this, even though you hide behind the veil of illogical fandom. There's a fine line there that isn't thin at all. It's clearly marked and very visible. It's your choice to ignore it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

That's just it - "to you" it was Steph improvising. But you have ZERO clue whether that is actually true or not. So feel free to blame whoever you want to - just stop pretending you have a reason to blame Steph in particular. You don't. 

OK, so you either think it's not Steph's fault at all because she has no power of veto over lines that are scripted for her... or you think it's possible that it might be Steph's fault, but are mortally offended that anyone might consider a possibility to, in their opinion, actually be a probability.

Are you actually in love with Stephanie McMahon-Levesque?

• Like 1