DVDVR Message Board

POST SURVIVOR SERIES 2018 DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Okay that show was fucking awesome. Like, way the fuck better than I expected. Ali/Murphy was the best match, but Charlotte/Ronnie was close and the post match puts it over the top. The men's elimination match was really good. I could've used a bit shorter early match beat down in the main, but once Bryan got the comeback, it was smoking.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

I've seen a lot of complaining (not as much here as other places) from people upset that Nia got "rewarded" with the big win tonight and angry about how they are using Becky's legit injury now as a story to get Nia more over as a heel. I wonder how long those people have been watching wrestling. Turning a legit injury in to a storyline is as old as wrestling itself. I mean,  I BROKE YAHOO'S LEG, OWEN 316, even Rollins exploding Cenas nose as a more recent example. But I guess since Becky is the chosen one right now and hating Nia is the "cool thing" all of a sudden this is exploitative and "only happening because who Nia is related to". 

Are you aware this isn't the first time Nia has injured someone? The issue is her history of sloppy, unsafe work. If you don't think she gets a pass because of her cousin Dwayne, then I really don't know what else to tell you. Believe whatever the hell you want.

• Like 3

My favorite part of the night was Bryan's "Oh, do ya now?" look to the people chanting "We want AJ!".

Good show except for the AOP-Bar match. I think there was supposed to be a lot more pee appearing on Drake's pants and the apparatus he was using wasn't working which made him look like he was openly fondling himself on a live PPV. That or he realized he was about to die and decided he had time for one more game of pocket pool.

Pro wrestling, ladies and gentlemen. As least the crowd reacted to the dribble. Still less embarrassing than Enzo.

I love that the WWE sent out three High School Anatomy students to treat Rousey's neck/throat. Yes, give her a bottle of water. That will help. This was like when Elaine gave her boyfriend a cookie when he had a stroke.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

58 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Have we discussed Drake Maverick peeing his pants yet?

WWE needs to implement the following policy. Hire someone with a knowledge of wrestling history that is well above average who has never worked in the business before. That person should have a reasonably normal social life, (i.e. not be a basement dwelling shut-in,) and have friends, family, and/or romantic partners who are not interested in wrestling.

This person's only job will be to observe all creative meetings and scripts and tell Vince when some bit of awful comedy he likes will embarrass wrestling fans in front of normal people.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Regardless of needing to put her over as the champ and a badass, I don't think Rhonda should have walked to the back as easily as she did. You didn't need to do a stretcher job per se, but at least have her lean on medical staff or her MMA crew.

This was one of the two times a year when Brock gave a shit in his match so perhaps that's clouding my judgement, but I think I'm even more sick of Shane than I am of Brock at this point. I get the sole purpose of him wrestling is to do some high spot, but there's no reason for him to be wrestling when you've got Russev, Almas, AJ, hell even putting Orton on the team would make more sense from a kayfabe standpoint. Corbin captained his team without actually being on it, Shane could have done the same. There's still an option of having him do some dumb spot without it fucking with the match outcome.

• Like 2

Just finished the show.

First off SDL losing every match but the tag division SS match was bs. That said I do think its amusing that there is no denying SDL's tag division is better. Even when they want Raw to have a clean sweep they can't have SDL's tag division lose.

Tag division SS match was decent fun.

Women's SS was ok. I liked them using Jx's current heat with the audience over Becky. Still I hope they don't try to bring that match to WM. Way too much money in Rousey/Becky right now. They should just have Becky and Nia as the final two for the women's RR with Becky tossing Nia out for the win.

Rollins/Nakamura started off well, had a weak middle, but picked up again by the end. Nakamura should have won.

AOP vs. the Bar was something. I like both teams, but this one was never going to work with both of them being heels. I had to fast forward through the crap with Maverick.

The men's SS was kind of enjoyable to me though annoying at the same time. I would have rather it not been used as something to mostly further Braun and Drew. Shane as the last guy was also kind of unnecessary though I enjoyed the hell out of Miz forcing him to pull out big moves when he was clearly half dead already.

Charlotte/Ronda was great and easily MOTN. Loved how it all played out and that ending and post match wrecking of Ronda was amazing. That said it saddened me as well since its clear its all a part of building Charlotte/Ronda for WM. They really need to give Becky the damn match and not make it a triple threat. The heat with Nia while good is not going to be anywhere near the level of what Becky and Ronda had/have. As great as Charlotte/Ronda was tonight, it was still not as big as Ronda/Becky. Anyways great match and it probably should have been the main event.

I love that they basically had Brock murder a heel Bryan to build sympathy before Bryan got a real go of things. It was a great blueprint for the match though they definitely had Brock murdering Bryan for longer than necessary. It got to the point where I was fast rewarding through the last few moves before the come back. Other than that I loved this one.

I enjoyed the show overall even if the booking annoyed me in places.

Just watched Brock vs. Bryan and I liked it more second go round though I enjoyed the initial viewing. I'd have taken a little time from Brock's beatdown and use some for Bryan working over Brock's knee. Also lose two kickouts of Daniel's running knee.

13 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

About time you all came around on Charlotte. A shame someone needs to turn heel to get some love. 

I've liked Charlotte since 2015. In 2015-2018, Charlotte Flair was only behind Sasha Banks when rating the Four Horsewomen. It's only middle of this year, I placed Becky Lynch above Charlotte Flair for the first time and stand by it. Still think Sasha Banks is the best of the four. Bayley's at the foot of the list.

29 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

About time you all came around on Charlotte. A shame someone needs to turn heel to get some love. 

It's never been anti-Charlotte. It's just Becky is a bit better and so much more likable.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

I've seen a lot of complaining (not as much here as other places) from people upset that Nia got "rewarded" with the big win tonight and angry about how they are using Becky's legit injury now as a story to get Nia more over as a heel. I wonder how long those people have been watching wrestling. Turning a legit injury in to a storyline is as old as wrestling itself. I mean,  I BROKE YAHOO'S LEG, OWEN 316, even Rollins exploding Cenas nose as a more recent example. But I guess since Becky is the chosen one right now and hating Nia is the "cool thing" all of a sudden this is exploitative and "only happening because who Nia is related to". 

Ah yes, Wrestling History 101: when Greg Valentine broke [squints at notes] Yahoo's leg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Charlotte was channeling her dad when he would snap after a match. The only thing missing from all that was Charlotte bleeding and her hair having turned red. That whole match with Ronda was insane. I really wasn't expecting them just go and try to beat the crap out of each other. It's about time Charlotte turned heel, but this was a weird way to do it.

Brock vs. Bryan for the first ten minutes was probably the most uncomfortable i was watching a match in ages. Bryan has some serious acting chops if he can make it look like he got all his concussions back. But man, when Bryan turned that switch and started in on Brock after the low blow that was some of the best WWE wrestling this year. I really thought Bryan was going to be the only one to win on Smackdown.

RAW getting a clean sweep was so odd. But I guess it's worth it if it leads up to Braun murdering Corbin.

Poor Drake Maverick. But you know when he got to the back, Vince was laughing his ass off and was probably like "HUH HUH HUH GAWD DAMN THAT WAS FUNNY PAL."