DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Becky's Broken Face - 11/13/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Okay, so I'm in Bermuda right now. And I checked in to see what they're doing about Becky Lynch. 

And the answer is.... 

*checks notes*

Doing a flash title change on the WWE Championship and turning Daniel Bryan heel. 

I'm posting this and then throwing my phone into the ocean, as I'm sure this is the Bermuda Triangle fucking with my brain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

......a heel turned Daniel Bryan? Who saw that coming? I know Bryan can handle it and I think the story will be intriguing, but putting him in there with Brock may not be the best idea. 

So Becky did not drop the title. They acknowledged the injury, complete with several brutal replays. Becky chose Charlotte to replace her in the match, then gave her a hug. Does this end the feud? I hope not. I hope Charlotte loses to Ronda and it fuels Becky even further and sends Charlotte even further down her "uncertain" path. An eventual heel turn and the feud continues against a now badass face Becky. But who is going to be on the SDL Women's Team? Not a lot to choose from. Lana or Mandy are not exactly great replacements. 

I dunno, though. Despite WWE giving zero days of hype to what should be two HUGE matches with ample build and hype with Charlotte/Ronda and Bryan/Brock, I did enjoy this week's show. 

It's still possible they may have Becky drop the belt depending on how serious her injury is. Saving that announcement for the post-SS show might be better anyways. Charlotte getting back the belt then facing Asuka in a rematch from last year's Mania where Asuka gets her win back and comes away with the title isn't a bad idea. Becky winning the Rumble and challenging Rhonda at Mania would have much more buildup and a much better payoff than them facing eachother this weekend would have had.

I don't mind Bryan's turn.  Yeslemania was more than 4 years ago and they're never going to recapture that moment.  Bryan's run up till now has been pretty stale and I'm sure Bryan is itching at being a heel again.  WWE also can't book babyface worth a lick, so he's better off being a heel.

• Like 9

Well, they salvaged Survivor Series and whatever we're getting at Mania now is probably ages better than we would have gotten a month ago so I'm down. 

How should we historically view AJ's long reign here? I think the TV stuff was sneakily better than people think but a lot of the higher profiles matches tripped over bad booking or bad chemistry or Nakamura being what he is now. 

This is a weird one.

1st off, Bryan is not as over as he was beore injury as a babyface. Full stop. Has to be acknowledged

2nd off, turning Bryan just before he faces Lesnar is an odd call.

3rd, Bryan actually is a fantastic heel worker (obviously) and feuds with AJ Styles and Rey Mysterio would be fucking amazing. 

4th, Miz gets to make promos about how right he was, which I'm actually completely for. 

It's a lot of conflicting feelings, but I'm mostly for it?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

This is a weird one.

1st off, Bryan is not as over as he was beore injury as a babyface. Full stop. Has to be acknowledged

2nd off, turning Bryan just before he faces Lesnar is an odd call.

3rd, Bryan actually is a fantastic heel worker (obviously) and feuds with AJ Styles and Rey Mysterio would be fucking amazing.  

It's a lot of conflicting feelings, but I'm mostly for it?

fixed

• Haha 1

That felt like a terribly flat way to end AJ's year+ reign on an impromptu match like that.. I was really looking forward to Styles/Brock II with how strong AJ had been booked this year. Bryan/Brock is something that should be special but doesn't feel the same with a rushed heel turn out of nowhere like that.

Becky's promo was great. the pop for Asuka when Becky passed her as a possible replacement was the best. Guessing Mandy Rose takes the last SDL spot. Rey/Miz is always good.

• Like 1

Bryan wasn't ever going to be a top guy as a face again so I'm fine with this..  he has all the potential in the world to be a huge asshole and we've seen him do exceedingly well in a heel role before both in ROH and then with AJ Lee by his side in WWE.   

Becky's promo was fucking badass. 

Also,  I'm not sure what to expect out of either Ronda/Charlotte or Brock/Bryan so..  that's a good thing...  both matches are certainly intriguing.  I don't think Ronda/Charlotte ends with either as the clear victor.  

Asuka might not be dead..  her entrance was ehh but once fans saw that she could possibly be Ronda's opponent they went wild.  I hope WWE creative sees this and books her accordingly. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Isnt DB still going to be cheered, even as a heel?

He's been getting mixed receptions against Styles all along and I think most fans will now back AJ if their feud continues.  I actually don't think he will get 100% cheers against Brock,  these travel crowds are different..   Brock is usually over with them too..  could be another mixed reception.  

I don't get these responses at all.  Even as a heel, the fans cheered Bryan. Literally his career was made at WM28 AS A HEEL.  You guys thinking that Miz is now the face or that the fans are going to be booing the shit out of Bryan against Lesnar.  Seriously, who are you people?  This is literally a reboot of the Becky Lynch turn, and it's going to have the same reaction.  It was a stupid way to do it, but fuck yeah, I am happy that a guy who wasn't even allowed to wrestle when this year started and was booked like shit from he moment he returned is now the champion.  

Also, they tend to make it all go away within weeks, but I do like when WWE hits that reset button.  And holy fuck, did they do it tonight.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

Against Lesnar, yes.

This also could be an interesting shades of gray thing. Bryan will still be cheered over Miz, but could be booed against Styles or Rey.

It wouldn't be all that different from his ROH title run. He played the face against heels like Rocky Romero, Chris Hero, Jimmy Rave, Alex Shelley, Sonjay Dutt while being the heel against Samoa Joe, Homicide, Colt Cabana, Roderick Strong, etc.

• Like 1