DVDVR Message Board

The Justin Newbould Memorial Christmas Chaos pre-thread

Execproducer

Yeah - mine to not available anywhere without buying and I sure as fuck am not buying it since I didn't like it the first time I watched it.

I will try and cobble together thoughts soon but since it also is a "movie set at Christmas" and not a "Christmas movie" - I have to decide what to focus on

I have mine set to watch but between the title & the fact that it's about old people at Christmas and what I'm pretty sure this is going to be about, I'm not really sure I'm mentally prepared for what this flick is going to do to me. 

3 hours ago, nate said:

I think I am in love.

In something totally out of character with me, I actually got my review in before the deadline.  This is my Christmas present to you all.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2018 at 9:51 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Posting to watch later

And yeah, I highly doubted you were talking about the 2012 movie haha

The greatest film ever made, I've watched it over fifty times and it just keeps getting better every single time!

I have a feeling my take on the film I got will likely not be appreciated by whomever chose it, although there are obvious parts for me personally to enjoy, especially 2 particular actors getting to share a scene together. 

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, odessasteps said:

And a bad ass end credits song from PIL!

Unless Michael Blake is being facetious, I am struggling to remember what makes Hardware a Christmas movie. 

It wasn't released in December in either the US or the UK and I don't recall the story being set around Christmas time.

I do remember that after the film gained status as a cult classic, the film makers were sued because  it looked like the script was lifted from a 1980 comic short from 2000 AD Magazine entitled SHOK!

From the Wiki plot summary

Intrigued by the technology, Alvy begins to research its background. Mo and Shades visit Jill, Mo's reclusive girlfriend, and, after an initially distant welcome where Jill checks them with a Geiger counter, Mo presents the robot head as a Christmas gift. 

32 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Intrigued by the technology, Alvy begins to research its background. Mo and Shades visit Jill, Mo's reclusive girlfriend, and, after an initially distant welcome where Jill checks them with a Geiger counter, Mo presents the robot head as a Christmas gift.  

That's the best connection they can make?

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I’d assume that means it is at least set at Xmas time. I haven’t seen it probably since it came ou, so I have no memoryof it. 

I could give my boo something nice in July and facetiously offer it as a Christmas gift.

From what I can remember, there's nothing in Hardware other than that to suggest that the movie takes place during Christmas.

Even in post apocalyptic UK, you'd think they'd have some sort of decorations up even if there were barely any trees left.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:51 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Posting to watch later

And yeah, I highly doubted you were talking about the 2012 movie haha

Make that 101 times, I just watched it again. It always seems real dusty in here when "Blue Christmas" plays over the closing credits.