DVDVR Message Board

The Justin Newbould Memorial Christmas Chaos pre-thread

Execproducer

• RIPPA pinned this topic
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:54 PM, Execproducer said:

Let's make the deadline for picks 11/20. I think I have most of them already for those who are in, but we'll see if anyone else wants to play.

Oof.  Just saw this now.  I'll probably be getting my pick in right at the deadline.

OK, most picks are already in.

J.T.

RIPPA

Raziel

driver

nate

CSC

Ultimo Necro

Brian Fowler

odessasteps

If I missed anyone let me know. Once I get S.K.o.S's pick, I'll be sending them out, probably by Thursday. As a reminder, anyone that wants to send a brief review of your favorite Christmas special/cartoon/series ep, whether you are taking part in the Chaos or not,  feel free to do so. I have a few things in mind but it would be great if others want to do it as well. Consider it ornaments for the tree.  

Everything has been sent out. Deadline for reviews is going to be 12/10. Just taking a cursory look, most of these should be easy to find. Sadly, the subbed film I promised isn't streaming anywhere, so I went with something else. It was tough because I easily had a dozen to choose from. I don't particularly care whether any movie I get is streaming or not on the half a dozen or so services that I subscribe to, because I either already have it, it is reasonably priced so that I'll buy it, or I know a guy that knows a guy, but I recognize  it should be as convenient to get as possible. Maybe next year.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Somebody's getting coal from me.

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I suspect this is me.  Will try to make the best of it...

Never underestimate your fellow cinéastes around here. I wanted to add apologies to a few of the films I sent out....then I remembered my first review for the Havoc was Critters II. 

Apparently,  I'm gonna have to buy mine, since it's not anywhere I subscribe, and I *really* dont want to buy it 

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I suspect this is me.  Will try to make the best of it...

No, I was more lamenting what I got.  I know I gave a good one.

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Apparently,  I'm gonna have to buy mine, since it's not anywhere I subscribe, and I *really* dont want to buy it 

No, I was more lamenting what I got.  I know I gave a good one.

It is truly a crap shoot. As much as J.T. was giving me props for matching film to reviewer for the Havoc, everything was thrown in a randomizer. For a variety of reasons, I then made 2 or 3 editorial choices. This time I only made one switch because someone landed their original  pick that had already been taken. The film that you got wasn't involved. Having said that, it is entirely possible that if someone else got the film you did, they'd be over the moon. I mean, it is possible. There are certainly people that love it. Just as it's possible that the person that got my pick will not see the charm in it that I do. But hey, that's why I play.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

Wondering if J.T. will use the Christmas lights as an excuse to pick a Sion Sono movie

No, I had sentimental reasons for picking my movie.

I watched my movie last night.  I'll do my best to get my review in before next Wednesday.  Lots of shit to do at work over the next few days and I am just passing out on the couch when I get to the crib.