DVDVR Message Board

The Justin Newbould Memorial Christmas Chaos pre-thread

Execproducer

1 minute ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

What are the rules of Halloween Havoc, for those of us who find Horror mostly bland?

You pick a film and send it to me. Include a short explanation why. After all picks are in, you'll receive a randomly selected film to review. You'll submit your review to me and it will eventually appear in the review thread. For the Havoc, I generally posted them in the order received.

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I searched through multiple Xmas movie lists and I keep coming back to the same bummer choices -- Silent Night Deadly Night, Black Christmas -- so to avoid someone ending up hating me I'm gonna sit this one out. My holiday spirit is just not sufficient. 

Or you could try a new genre? :)

28 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Sure, if you want to see Bad Santa or Christmas Vacation again. My Xmas film interest is a pretty small cul de sac. 

I did find out that Trancers is a Christmas movie, so if you really want a stretch, go for that. Female Trouble is a possibility too. 

Shit, I haven't watched Trancers in forever.  And I watch Christmas Vacation every year, so that's not a negative.

14 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So Lethal Weapon?

I would prefer that to Die Hard (and I love Die Hard)

Heck - I almost want that now because boy do I want discuss how the dialogue in that so doesn't age well... well because Mel Gibson

59 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I would prefer that to Die Hard (and I love Die Hard)

Heck - I almost want that now because boy do I want discuss how the dialogue in that so doesn't age well... well because Mel Gibson

You mean like the whole shooting range scene?

1 hour ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I'm in and I have something in mind that the reviewer will probably hate. ?

Does it star Nicolas Cage?

10 hours ago, Execproducer said:

It is only 43 minutes. Gotta draw lines somewhere. I think anything feature length would be acceptable.

Just curious how you are defining feature length then. Because the Academy of Motion Arts and Pictures defines it as 40 minutes or longer.

I'm in but I'm not sure what I'm picking yet. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Just curious how you are defining feature length then. Because the Academy of Motion Arts and Pictures defines it as 40 minutes or longer.

The shortest film to ever be nominated for Best Picture is She Done Him Wrong at 66 minutes. So lets call it the Mae West Rule.

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Sure, if you want to see Bad Santa or Christmas Vacation again. My Xmas film interest is a pretty small cul de sac. 

I did find out that Trancers is a Christmas movie, so if you really want a stretch, go for that. Female Trouble is a possibility too. 

You guys are sleeping on Static Static Poster

Yes, it's a Christmas movie; and you'll laugh and giggle and have your guts ripped out... Probably my favorite film ever.

27 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is that the 2012 movie?

No, sir! That is the 1985 movie with Amanda Plummer, Keith Gordon and Bob Gunton. I've probably seen it over 100 times and it just gets better every single time.

14 hours ago, Raziel said:

So Lethal Weapon?

I totally forgot that Lethal Weapon is set during Christmas.  The three things I remember most were the unsettling torture scene, how scary Gary Busey looked with blonde hair, and that I had a gigantic crush on Rianne Murtaugh (Tracie Wolfe).

The one thing I forgot is that Shane Black wrote the script when he was an undergrad at UCLA.