DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
OSJ

MLB HOF 2019 Ballot

Reminder - ballots were due 12/31

So now it is just a matter if folks reveal publicly their ballot before the Jan 22 announcement

Haven’t they been asked not to disclose them ahead of time, at least not to detail their votes? 

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Haven’t they been asked not to disclose them ahead of time, at least not to detail their votes? 

Hasn't stopped 143 people so far

8 hours ago, OSJ said:

Two of these things are not like the others, two of these things do not belong.

I think we can debate Berkman and Scheffield getting the Hall, but I think they surely have a better case then "Career Slightly Above Average" in Omar Vizquel.

31 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I think we can debate Berkman and Scheffield getting the Hall, but I think they surely have a better case then "Career Slightly Above Average" in Omar Vizquel.

I was speaking of Rolen and Jones as they were two double threat players. We've had our little chuckle about Berkman before, and as for Sheffield, I think that there may be a position that I at 61 years of age can't play better than Gary Sheffield, but damned if I can think of what that might be... 
Perhaps there are two Omar Vizquels? There was the one in Seattle that Tabe and I would soil ourselves laughing at the very notion that he would merit inclusion in the HOF. And then there was another one that played in Cleveland, and let's face it, Cleveland doesn't have a whole lot to get excited about...

As of today looks like "Gar, Mo, Doc, & Moose will all go in, oddly, I have no problem with any of that. Halladay had a short career, but he was lights out brilliant for most of it. Someone mentioned "aura" some posts back, yeah, with the exception of Mussina (who was incredibly good for a long time), these guys had "it", whenever they played you had the feeling that you were watching someone special. To a Seattle boy, there was nothing more comforting than Edgar Martinez coming up to bat with runners in scoring position, yeah, A-Rod, Griffey, and Buhner were all spectacular, but you just knew that the quiet guy they called "Papi" was going to get the job done.

When Mo Rivera took the mound, you might as well change the channel because the game was over, it was just that simple. I have never seen a guy that was so completely unhittable and I"m old enough to remember Koufax and J.R. Richard in his prime. It's nice to see that he's been named on all 162 ballots that have been made public, because quite frankly, if you don't vote for Mo Rivera, you should have your ballot taken away and you should be confined to covering curling, roller derby, and tiddly-winks because you obviously do not understand baseball on any level.

I've never been much of a Blue Jays fan, but when Doc Halladay pitched, you didn't change the channel, you knew you were watching a great pitcher. 

Other than his first few seasons (when I made a bunch of money selling his RCs), Mike Mussina never exactly had that "aura" that we speak of, but when you crunch the numbers and apply context, there's really little doubt that he was an elite pitcher. 

Reminder that the announcement is this afternoon

Based on the public tracker - Mariano and Roy Halladay are locks. Edgar is also pretty much a lock.

Mike Mussina is on the borderline. (Basically if he doesn't get in this year, he will get in next year)

I think Mussina will make it in. I was just watching MLB Network and they had him at about 81%.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think Mussina will make it in. I was just watching MLB Network and they had him at about 81%.

The problem with Moose is the ballots that aren't revealed yet are much more likely to have only 2-4 players listed. It's why Edgar isn't really even a lock.

Boy, this idelson speech is cringe worthy. 

• Like 1

Just get Moose and Edgar in and I'll be happy. And hopefully we get Walker above 60 percent and he gets a big push next year.

EDIT: Fuck Yes. You did good voters save for the insane Vizquel love.

3 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

Just get Moose and Edgar in and I'll be happy. And hopefully we get Walker above 60 percent and he gets a big push next year.

It's Edgar, Doc, Moose, and Mo.

Mariano got 100%.

I'm really happy with the 2019 class, minus Harold Baines, of course.

Martinez, Hallady, Mussina, Rivera are your 2019 class

• Like 2

WHOO-HOO!!!! EAT IT EVERYONE!!!

MARIANO 4 LIFE!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

100% for Mariano

There is something completely hilarious the 1st unanimous vote in the Hall was a Closer.

• Like 5

Once again, I wonder about the one or two people who vote for Clemens but not Bonds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Once again, I wonder about the one or two people who vote for Clemens but not Bonds.

I think there problem might begin with the letter R and end with the letters acism.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I usually assume there is a personal history like "Bonds cursed at me" or something like that

EDIT - or what Dan said

• Like 2

I bet there are some voters who voted for Bonds  but not Clemens. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I bet there are some voters who voted for Bonds  but not Clemens. 

Congrats to those who got in but the voters are still beyond trash.  Bonds is the best position player since shit at least the 60s.  Probably since Babe.  Awful that they continue to deny his greatness.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I usually assume there is a personal history like "Bonds cursed at me" or something like that

EDIT - or what Dan said

As a kid I met just about every player in the NL and many in the AL from 1985-96. Barry Bonds is by FAR the biggest asshole I've ever had the misfortune of encountering. And the people citing racism make me chuckle because of a well known story among Mets employees of that era: Mets head groundskeeper Pete Flynn asked Bonds if he could sign a ball for one of his nephews, and Bonds blew him off (and keep in mind Flynn was one of the most beloved figures in Mets history). Flynn figured things out quick, got one of the black members of the crew and had him ask Bonds to sign it. Of course Bonds had no problem signing the ball for him 

• Like 2

Lost in the unanimous decision thing for Mariano as well for an interesting fact:

Roy Halladay getting in marks the first time since Rabbit Maranville in 1954 that the BBWAA has posthumously voted a player into the Hall of Fame.  (Roberto Clemente got in through a separate special election.) 

• Like 1

To balance out the negative 3 HOF'ers who are the absolute nicest guys I've ever met are Nolan Ryan, Tim Raines and Ralph Kiner (IIRC he is in the hall as both a player and a broadcaster)

• Like 1