DVDVR Message Board

The Baseball Hall of Fame Thread

LethalStriker

To balance out the negative 3 HOF'ers who are the absolute nicest guys I've ever met are Nolan Ryan, Tim Raines and Ralph Kiner (IIRC he is in the hall as both a player and a broadcaster)

• Like 1

Roy’s vote into the Hall comes on the birthday of Carlos “Chooch” Ruiz, his catcher for both his perfect game and his postseason no-hitter in 2010 with the Phillies.

I’m sure he’ll be enshrined as a Blue Jay, but he’ll always be a Phillie to me.

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Flynn figured things out quick, got one of the black members of the crew and had him ask Bonds to sign it. Of course Bonds had no problem signing the ball for him 

I'm not trying to start an argument but I just don't see the issue here. Some folks just aren't going to fuck with most white people if they don't have to for reasons that go well beyond what this thread is intended for.  

Not saying Bonds isn't a huge asshole,  he has had his moments but the media.. he doesn't owe anything.  Just sticking to HOF,  he's one of the best ever and belongs.  They are going to vote in David Ortiz,  let's not pretend for one second that they won't. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not trying to start an argument but I just don't see the issue here. Some folks just aren't going to fuck with most white people if they don't have to for reasons that go well beyond what this thread is intended for.  

Not saying Bonds isn't a huge asshole,  he has had his moments but the media.. he doesn't owe anything.  Just sticking to HOF,  he's one of the best ever and belongs.  They are going to vote in David Ortiz,  let's not pretend for one second that they won't. :lol: 

He's got three years left and I don't know if he makes the jump to 75% considering he couldn't break 60% this year. I doubt he gets voted in by the "Today's game committee" given the steroid suspicion and his demeanor towards the media. I'm not even going to get into his issues with racism. Those discussions never end well. At this point, I don't think it's a stretch to believe Bonds might not get in until after he passes away. I'm also of the belief Pete Rose will get elected after he passes away.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I bet there are some voters who voted for Bonds  but not Clemens. 

Maybe, but Clemens is always getting a slightly higher percentage. They both have an argument for the GOAT, they both were noted assholes, they both lied about usage, they were both juiced well past the gills. I can see voting for both of them. I can, painfully, see voting for neither. But voting for one but not the other boggles my mind every year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

He's got three years left and I don't know if he makes the jump to 75% considering he couldn't break 60% this year. I doubt he gets voted in by the "Today's game committee" given the steroid suspicion and his demeanor towards the media. I'm not even going to get into his issues with racism. Those discussions never end well. At this point, I don't think it's a stretch to believe Bonds might not get in until after he passes away. I'm also of the belief Pete Rose will get elected after he passes away.

Joe Jackson hasn't. . . 

8 hours ago, El Dragon said:

This is where I get odd looks:  While I wouldn't vote Polanco in the Hall, if gun to the head, I had to pick out the better ball player, I take Polanco over Vizquel.

Their career WAR and JAWS scores are very similar, but Polanco's peak WAR is higher. But on the subject of guys with double-digit gold gloves and sterling "eye test" defensive skills, it's really odd to me that Vizquel has so much more traction than Andruw Jones

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

Their career WAR and JAWS scores are very similar, but Polanco's peak WAR is higher. But on the subject of guys with double-digit gold gloves and sterling "eye test" defensive skills, it's really odd to me that Vizquel has so much more traction than Andruw Jones

Jones was so much better than Vizquel. It boggles the mind he got so much less support. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

At least I manage my fantasy teams...

And submit my Christmas Chaos review....

What's that?  I can't hear you through all the way from 6th place up here in 5th place.

19 hours ago, Super Ape said:

Roy’s vote into the Hall comes on the birthday of Carlos “Chooch” Ruiz, his catcher for both his perfect game and his postseason no-hitter in 2010 with the Phillies.

I’m sure he’ll be enshrined as a Blue Jay, but he’ll always be a Phillie to me.

He's not going in as a Jay or a Phillie

• Like 1

No, but seriously, Abreu was incredibly underatted. Career .395 OBP, an almost constant 900 OPS over a decade. 7 straight years above 5 WAR, a career WAA of about 28 which would put him in my "Actually has a pretty good case for a HOFer" level. 

Problem was he spent his entire prime on the Philles from 98 to 05 and the Phillies fucking sucked in that run.